ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: PA system & power amps (please help)  (Read 4354 times)

Julian Acosta

PA system & power amps (please help)
« on: September 21, 2011, 07:43:05 pm »

Hey everyone,

I don't really know anything about setting up PA systems and I could really use some advice.

This is what I need to accomplish:

Find a power amp that supports the Yamaha S115IVS's (500W, 8 ohms - 1/4" speaker cable plugs in the back).

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/S115V

So from what I'm reading I need a power amp with 1000W @ 8 ohms. Is there any affordable amp out there that has those specs at like $300 or less?

The next step is to somehow connect this power amp to my computer/xponent (what I use to DJ). Is it possible to do this?

I can provide more detail about how I hook up my computer if you need me to.

Thanks in advance! Please ask questions if I wasn't clear.

bruce gering

Re: PA system & power amps (please help)
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2011, 07:52:35 pm »

Hey everyone,

I don't really know anything about setting up PA systems and I could really use some advice.

Find a power amp that supports the Yamaha S115IVS's (500W, 8 ohms - 1/4" speaker cable plugs in the back).

So from what I'm reading I need a power amp with 1000W @ 8 ohms. Is there any affordable amp out there that has those specs at like $300 or less?

The next step is to somehow connect this power amp to my computer/xponent (what I use to DJ). Is it possible to do this?

I think that you mean 500W PROGRAM, not RMS. In this case, find an amp that can produce ~500W at 8rR (ohms). There are SOOOO many amps out there that fit the bill and will be just fine for you. A very popular economic choice is the QSC RMX series. A QSC RMX 2450 would be a good match.

Doug Fowler

• Member since May 1995, 2nd poster on original LAB, moderator on and off since 1997, now running TurboMOD v1.826
  • Administrator
  • Saint Louis, MO USA
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2011, 07:56:06 pm »

Read the rules, fix your display name.

Thank you for your cooperation.

And please do reply to posts if the poster has not adhered to the name rule.
"It's got electrolytes.  It's got what plants crave."

Garry Wilson

• Laurel, MD
    • 98.6 Sound
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2011, 03:30:29 pm »

Hey everyone,

Another amp you can look at is the QSC GX5, priced at $400, it does have the connections you need. To get your computer into the system, I'd suggest a Radial Pro AV1 direct box ($119.00), it has a 3.5mm input for PCs or iPods. You will need a small mixer in between the direct box and the mixer. Mixer suggestion; Yamaha MG10c, cost $100.00.

All can be purchased at Sweetwater.

Garry W
Garry W.
CTS, SBE-CEV, A+
www.986sound.com

duane massey

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2011, 08:53:57 pm »

Get something like this (several brands out there) if you're using computer w/usb ports:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/behringer-u-control-uca202-usb-audio-interface/702540000000000

A mixer would be a good thing to have, as it will allow you the ability to add a mic, and give you some control between your PC and the amp, as well as a means to use another device (CD, iPod, etc) should your main source crash.
Duane Massey
Technician, musician, stubborn old guy
Houston, Texas

Mike Pyle

• Santa Rosa, CA
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2011, 11:59:08 pm »

Hey everyone,

Do you already own those speakers?
Mike Pyle  Audiopyle Sound  707-315-6204
Dealer For: JBL, Soundcraft, Crown, dbx, AKG, Yorkville, EV, QSC, RCF, FBT, Danley Sound Labs, Fulcrum Acoustic, Tannoy, Lab Gruppen, Powersoft, Linea Research, VTC, EAW, Allen & Heath, Ashly, APB, Audix, One Systems, OnPoint Audio, Presonus, K&M, Ultimate, Global Truss, Road Ready, SKB, Gator, Radial Engineering, Turbosound, Midas, dB Technologies, American DJ, Odyssey, ProCo, Rapco, CBI, Elation, Mipro, Chauvet, Blizzard, Shure, Whirlwind, Bassboss, Yamaha, Line 6, Behringer, Whirlwind, On-Stage, more...

Yosi Melamed

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2011, 04:01:45 am »

Hey everyone,

Hey Julian,
I couldn't figure out if you have one yamaha speaker or two?

A couple of people suggested you buy a USB interface and a mixer. I think the best and higher quality sound would be achieved from buying a mixer that already has a USB input. I have the Allen & Heath ZED 10 and it's great, it's around $200 on eBay. The Mackie ProFX8 was my second choice since it has better preamps but slightly lower reliability.

I don't know if your budget allows for a mixer and an amp so maybe the best thing would be an amplified mixer with a USB interface?

« Last Edit: September 23, 2011, 06:19:52 am by Yosi Melamed »
Don't bring up facts that can ruin our good argument.

Crown i-Tech 8000
Allen & Heath ZED60-14FX
4 X Cerwin Vega ProStax PS-12 II
1 X Cerwin Vega Sub 15
1 X Rolls RS-80 Tuner
1 X MaxxBass 101
1 X Weekend warrior

Brad Weber

• Marietta, GA
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2011, 05:54:25 am »

So from what I'm reading I need a power amp with 1000W @ 8 ohms.

Unless you have identified the output you want and from that calculated the power required to obtain that output, then you don't know what you "need", only what may be a reasonable number without any application specific considerations.  As Bruce pointed out, the 500W number is the Program rating so that is probably about what you want.

That being said, you may have trouble finding an amplifier rated 500W per channel into 8 Ohms for $300.  You'd need to either go up in price for something like the QSC GX5, look at a used amp or go with a GX3 or a Behringer iNuke with a little less power (for some reference, the difference between 500W and 350W is 1.5dB).

I believe the Xponent acts as the interface and mixer with USB to the computer and stereo, RCA outputs.  As long as you are running the Yamaha speakers full range and not using subwoofers then you don't need anything else although you might benefit from a speaker processor or at least an equalizer.

Paul Dershem

• San Diego, CA
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2011, 12:32:26 am »

Julian, are you planing on running your speakers are full volume? If not, a 250W amplifier would only be 3dB quieter.
Live without pretending
Love without depending
Listen without defending
Speak without offending.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2011, 12:32:26 am »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.023 seconds with 19 queries.