ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: how to you patch your internal fx?  (Read 3748 times)

Airton Pereira

• The Knutz
how to you patch your internal fx?
« on: February 01, 2011, 09:06:21 PM »

Hi,

I record every show I mix, but I cannot record the fx, because I patch them to a Stereo In on my LS9. I was thinking of inset the fx on vocals, so I could record them too. What do you think?
« Last Edit: February 01, 2011, 09:47:12 PM by Airton Pereira Silva »
Drummer and Sound Engineer for The Knutz.

George Dougherty

Re: how to you patch your internal fx?
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2011, 01:22:23 PM »

One thing to note on recorded fx is that you usually need more in a room to get it audible over the natural room reverb than you'd want on a recording.  If these are the stereo recording outputs to USB on the LS9 then adding verb after the fact also won't work well.  I'd put it all into a matrix and record that if you can, that way you can balance the mix better vs what you hear live.  Route the fx into a bus if you can't get it into a matrix directly on the LS-9.  I forget exactly how they hamstrung that poor little board.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2011, 01:36:20 PM by George Dougherty »

Geoff Doane

• Halifax, NS
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2011, 03:31:46 PM »

Hi,

I record every show I mix, but I cannot record the fx, because I patch them to a Stereo In on my LS9. I was thinking of inset the fx on vocals, so I could record them too. What do you think?

I don't see why that would be a problem.  I also use the stereo inputs for FX returns and just make sure they are routed to the stereo buss, just like all the other inputs.  The only problem is, as George noted, they're often more prominent in the recording than I might like.

I also do a dual PA setup with aux fed subs, but inputs and FX are just double bused to the stereo mix and whatever buses I'm using for the main outputs.  This lets me EQ the PA buses, but not the stereo, and also gives me a separate level control (the stereo fader) for the recording.  The PA buses are not assigned to the stereo mix.

GTD

Taylor Phillips

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2011, 04:32:56 PM »

Hi,

How are you recording so that you cannot record the fx?  The stereo channels on the LS9 can be sent to all the auxes like any other channel.  Select the channel and use the 'selected send' knob to adjust them rather than using 'sends on fader' because of those knobs' peculiar behavior.  In 'sends-on-fader mode' the stereo channels levels to that aux are shown in the top right of the screen.  If your using direct outs to record multi-track or to another mixer and you've just run out of physical outputs, rather than inserting the fx, which will give the same level of fx in the recording and live, you could replace your vocal direct out with an aux that only mixes the vocals with the fx.

Airton Pereira

• The Knutz
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2011, 11:41:38 AM »

How are you recording so that you cannot record the fx?  The stereo channels on the LS9 can be sent to all the auxes like any other channel.  Select the channel and use the 'selected send' knob to adjust them rather than using 'sends on fader' because of those knobs' peculiar behavior.  In 'sends-on-fader mode' the stereo channels levels to that aux are shown in the top right of the screen.  If your using direct outs to record multi-track or to another mixer and you've just run out of physical outputs, rather than inserting the fx, which will give the same level of fx in the recording and live, you could replace your vocal direct out with an aux that only mixes the vocals with the fx.

I'm recording direct out via adat, that's why i can't record fx. I like your idea, recording an aux for the vocals. Thanks!
Drummer and Sound Engineer for The Knutz.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2011, 11:41:38 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 24 queries.