ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Securing snake / power runs to FOH  (Read 9305 times)

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
Re: Securing snake / power runs to FOH
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2011, 11:57:17 AM »

Thanks for the suggestions.  The type of setup this show has isn't too cable friendly; because of where vendors and other activities will be taking place.

We use some rubberized matting (18" w x 2' L).  Works well for hard surfaces, but gravel and hard packed soil is another story.

Thanks for the link... will check it out.  And for the 1/2 cut tubes, that may work, but it may still present a trip hazard due to where the tubes would have to run.

Robert, EVERYTHING presents a trip hazard.  What you need to do is document the client directing where you must run your cables or refusing to direct you in matters of their event's safety.  This is to help cover your ass later if/when someone trips.

What you need to do is deal with it in a way that passes the "reasonable person" test in court.  What would a reasonable person do, with respect to safety, given the requirements of your client?  Paint the cable safety yellow?  Run a continuous length of Yellow Jacket® cable protectors?  Bury it?  Cover it with conveyor belt mats?  Post signs that read "Audio Cable Crossing, WATCH YOUR STEP"?  Eliminate it altogether and mix from side stage?

Nothing will be fool-proof as there is a new generation of industrial-strength fools out there.  What you need to do is minimize the opportunity for their foolishness and conduct you business in a way that minimizes your legal exposure.\

Have fun, good luck.

Tim Mc
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Paul Dershem

• San Diego, CA
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2011, 06:30:02 PM »

Robert, EVERYTHING presents a trip hazard.  What you need to do is document the client directing where you must run your cables or refusing to direct you in matters of their event's safety.  This is to help cover your ass later if/when someone trips.

What you need to do is deal with it in a way that passes the "reasonable person" test in court.  What would a reasonable person do, with respect to safety, given the requirements of your client?  Paint the cable safety yellow?  Run a continuous length of Yellow Jacket® cable protectors?  Bury it?  Cover it with conveyor belt mats?  Post signs that read "Audio Cable Crossing, WATCH YOUR STEP"?  Eliminate it altogether and mix from side stage?

Nothing will be fool-proof as there is a new generation of industrial-strength fools out there.  What you need to do is minimize the opportunity for their foolishness and conduct you business in a way that minimizes your legal exposure.\

Have fun, good luck.

Tim Mc

Fantastic post!

"there is a new generation of industrial-strength fools out there" and they have access to industrial-strength attorneys who will be only too happy to leave you bankrupt and bleeding if that's what it takes to "win."
Live without pretending
Love without depending
Listen without defending
Speak without offending.

Robert Weston

• Power is cheap, reputation is not.
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2011, 10:24:17 AM »

Have fun, good luck.

Tim Mc

Tim - you are exactly correct, and this is exactly what I'm trying to minimize.  People will trip over a piece of paper if they let themselves.  Most of events I've done, there's some path to run cabling to/from FOH that's been (for the most part) out of the way of attending guests; though, for this upcoming event, there's a lot of variables that have greatly minimized my ability to "safely" run the cables.

What we will probably do is anchor them to the ground, and rap the cables with yellow/black "Caution" tape (in a maypole fashion).  Perhaps as long as I can show we did our due diligence in providing a "safe" area for a "reasonable person", maybe this will minimize any trouble.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2011, 02:42:05 PM »

Tim - you are exactly correct, and this is exactly what I'm trying to minimize.  People will trip over a piece of paper if they let themselves.  Most of events I've done, there's some path to run cabling to/from FOH that's been (for the most part) out of the way of attending guests; though, for this upcoming event, there's a lot of variables that have greatly minimized my ability to "safely" run the cables.

What we will probably do is anchor them to the ground, and rap the cables with yellow/black "Caution" tape (in a maypole fashion).  Perhaps as long as I can show we did our due diligence in providing a "safe" area for a "reasonable person", maybe this will minimize any trouble.

Is there a "history" that comes with this event?  While I'm all about doing things is as safe a manner as is required or possible, it seems that there is something lurking beneath the surface of your posts that makes me wonder if there is more to the story, specifically a problem client or "guests" that have a history of personal injuries...  Just sayin'
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Mike Diack

• Auckland, New Zealand.
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2011, 03:43:14 PM »

Is there any way you can go aerial ?
If the mix tower is solid (or there is a nearby utility pole/whatever), run a piece of 6mm wire rope from tower to stage well above head height and cabletie your snakeage etc to it. Assumes no vehicles in gap of course.
M

Robert Weston

• Power is cheap, reputation is not.
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2011, 06:54:17 PM »

Nope - no history with these people or the location (both new for me).  However, I think the people putting this event together may have had a history with a sound provider before that may not have taken extra care of where and how the cables were run.  After visiting the location, I reported back to them of where I would need to run the cables; they seemed ok with it, but still seemed concerned.  They know there are limitations of where and how the cables can run; I'm trying to put their minds at rest that we'll do what we can.

Yes - routing the cabling over head was considered, but the site doesn't haven't any type of poles, trusses, etc... anywhere where FOH is to be setup. 

I would still like to trench the cabling (and may do it anyway), but I've been told there is a sprinkler system in the open area where we are setting up - though, looking at the area, it doesn't look like a sprinkler system has run there in a long time.

Dan Johnson

• Classic LAB
  • Memphis, TN
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2011, 12:05:14 AM »

I would still like to trench the cabling (and may do it anyway), but I've been told there is a sprinkler system in the open area where we are setting up - though, looking at the area, it doesn't look like a sprinkler system has run there in a long time.
How deep would you be trenching for the snake?  I would think you could easily trench snake/power cables while staying well above an irrigation system (at least any irrigation I've seen done before).  If you find a sprinkler head, just go around it.

Pete Bansen

« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2011, 01:19:13 PM »

Are you able to lay down any matting? We use conveyor belting. Very heavy duty. Since it's so damn heavy we cut it to 35' lengths. It is about 3 feet wide and 3/4 of an inch thick.

Great idea!  You may be able to get it for free from your local gravel pit or asphalt plant.  I procured some lengths a few years ago to use as matting around a seasonal ice rink put together by the local park and rec district - I think it was 18" wide and the gravel/asphalt plant had it in 200' rolls.  They were happy to get rid of it.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2011, 01:19:13 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 21 queries.