ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: acoustically transparent cloth?  (Read 11433 times)

Justice C. Bigler

• SR Forums
  • Tulsa, Oklahoma
    • My homepage
acoustically transparent cloth?
« on: September 22, 2011, 05:56:24 PM »

I've got a show coming in a month or so and they are requesting that the stage monitors be covered in a white acoustically transparent cloth. What should I tell them to buy?

I'll probably have them build sort of a slip cover to put over the speakers, based on the outside measurements. I'm not paying for it, so money is no object, as they say. What's the best stuff out there?
Justice C. Bigler
Business Rep, IATSE Local 354
www.justicebigler.com

John Austin

Re: acoustically transparent cloth?
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2011, 08:20:22 PM »

I've got a show coming in a month or so and they are requesting that the stage monitors be covered in a white acoustically transparent cloth. What should I tell them to buy?

I'll probably have them build sort of a slip cover to put over the speakers, based on the outside measurements. I'm not paying for it, so money is no object, as they say. What's the best stuff out there?

http://www.acousticalsolutions.com/speaker-amp-amplifier-fabrics

Jonathan Johnson

• Southwest Washington (state, not DC)
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2011, 03:30:28 PM »

As a rule of thumb, the lower the air resistance, the more acoustically transparent the fabric is.

Even so, the profile and structure of the fibers in the cloth as well as the weave can affect performance.
Stop confusing the issue with facts and logic!

Stu McDoniel

• Central Wisconsin...USA
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2011, 10:31:02 PM »

White Burlap

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2011, 11:19:32 PM »

Justice,
Here's a link to the site where I buy the grill cloth for guitar amplifiers I rebuild. Better service than any company on the web and great pricing. Yes, they have white.

http://www.mojotone.com/amp-parts/Grillcloth

BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Jim Wilkens

• Marblehead MA
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2011, 12:03:07 AM »

This is what I usually use. Actually I specify this and the event planner chooses the color and wraps the speakers. It's very easy to wrap - the decorator just uses a stapler and it looks great, sounds great.  It does not make flapping noises when wrapped around subs. The best I have found;

http://www.rosebrand.com/product475/58-Party-Knit-FR.aspx?tid=2&info=party%2bknit

We have some Undercover white covers. They are spandex and install is easy and quick but they cut more high frequencies than the Party Knit;

http://www.undercovernyc.com/

Jim W.

Marc Platt

• Classic LAB
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2011, 03:02:44 PM »

Nothing is totally acoustically transparent, there may be some equalization needed
As a child I had dreamed of becoming an engineer. Now all I want to know is, when do I get to drive the train?

Kevin Maxwell

• USA SW CT 46miles from MidTown Manhattan ATCF
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2011, 12:32:03 AM »

Keep in mind that obviously only the part where the sound comes out needs to be acoustically transparent. But the whole think probably needs to be made of or treated to be flame retardant. www.rosebrand.com has inherently flame retardant material and also treated material. The inherently flame retardant stuff doesn’t need to be retreated like the treated stuff and may be a better choice.

So what I am saying is use the acoustically transparent cloth only over the face of the monitor and use the other stuff for the rest of it. Have them make special slip covers made of the 2 materials.   

Jim Wilkens

• Marblehead MA
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2011, 01:40:57 PM »

The Rose Brand Party Knit is treated with a flame retardant chemical. It is pretty easy to wrap the entire speaker with it. You just have to be careful with self powered speakers' amplifiers. Justice, can you let us know what you ended up using?

Jim W.

Keep in mind that obviously only the part where the sound comes out needs to be acoustically transparent. But the whole think probably needs to be made of or treated to be flame retardant. www.rosebrand.com has inherently flame retardant material and also treated material. The inherently flame retardant stuff doesn’t need to be retreated like the treated stuff and may be a better choice.

So what I am saying is use the acoustically transparent cloth only over the face of the monitor and use the other stuff for the rest of it. Have them make special slip covers made of the 2 materials.

Jim Wilkens

• Marblehead MA
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2011, 01:01:47 AM »

What did you end up doing?

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2011, 01:01:47 AM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 22 queries.