ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: CREST VX vs A&H ML4000  (Read 10359 times)

Marsellus Fariss

• Grey Eagle Music Hall
Re: CREST VX vs A&H ML4000
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2011, 07:30:24 pm »

Hi,

i hesitate between these two consoles (used) at the same price 4000 eur.
- What's the best sonically ? (preamp and EQ)
- Fiability ?

Thanks

Stephan

While I haven't mixed on a ML4K in a long time and can't give you a direct A/B comparison on sound quality I have just finished rebuilding an old VX and mix on it daily in my venue.

VX- Has a more flexible EQ section with peak/shelf switches for the HF and LF bands and narrow q switches for the middle two bands. I like the EQ quite a lot. Has a larger and more comprehensive matrix section, more routing flexibility and more buss in's and outs'. Sounds very good. Very easy to work on with each channel on it's own card and all chips are in sockets and labeled on the PCB for easy upgrades and repair if you do that sort of thing. I even have the schematics if you need them. VX feels better to me the the ML series if that matters to you. All around I love this desk and don't think I'd buy another analogue desk unless something like a old Gamble or an XL3 came along.

ML4K- Has dual task front of house/monitor desk capability with fader flip for 12 auxes on faders where the Crest doesn't have this capability and has only 8 auxes. Has 8 mute groups where the crest has 4. Also has some mute group and VCA assign automation where the crest has none. Has the buss assign switches in a weird place up by the auxes if I remember. Can't comment the sound quality cause it's been so long but I'm remember liking it. It's probably easier to move around then the VX.

Both are discontinued though you can find some support on the Crest from part out desks, some from Crest/Peavy and the former lead tech for Crest during that era runs a shop in New Jersey that still repairs them. I've also got a local tech here in town that loves working on them and has had no problem fixing them in the past. I imagine support for the ML4000 is probably a little more stable since it wasn't so long since it's been discontinued if I remember correctly. Even more so since your over there with them. I was able to find replacement parts and PSU's for my VX pretty easy except for extra channel strips that I've not found yet. I'd like 10 or so to fill up the blanks in my 64 frame and have a few spares left over. The whole Century series used mostly the same frame parts and knobs and what not so you can source from other Century desks as well. 

I'd buy the VX if it's in good shape because I like those desks a lot. If you need to use it for monitors however or your going to drag it around on a truck for years the ML4K may be the way to go.

I'd download the two manuals and study them. See if you can get some hands on time too.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2011, 07:32:48 pm by Marsellus Fariss »
Marsellus Fariss
Production Manager
Grey Eagle Music Hall

Ambassador to Clubland
"Welcome to Clubland! Here's a Sharpie and your input list. Its 30 minutes till doors."

Quote from: dick rees
Just accept that it's a crap situation and take the money.

Stephan Martos

« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2011, 10:09:01 am »

Hi Everybody !

and Thanks Marsellus for your post ! I had seen your post on Gearslutz about your CREST VX  ;)
- sorry for my poor language, i'm french...!

i think buy the CREST VX, because the number of Aux is not important for me, i want the best audio/quality price !!! and i think the VX is the winner !

A friend of mine own a CREST XVCA 40ch, and he said that the sound is very, very good ! big and warm sound. He wants to sell it but 9000 euros...too expensive for me.

The VX i want to buy is in good working and technical 100%.

Stéphan

Stephan Martos

« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2011, 06:10:10 am »

Hi !
I received my CREST VX40 !!! This console is very nice !!!!
- Preamp : sounds like my CREST X4, very clean, transparent and punchy.

John Chiara

« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2011, 04:22:09 pm »

Hi Everybody !

and Thanks Marsellus for your post ! I had seen your post on Gearslutz about your CREST VX  ;)
- sorry for my poor language, i'm french...!

i think buy the CREST VX, because the number of Aux is not important for me, i want the best audio/quality price !!! and i think the VX is the winner !

A friend of mine own a CREST XVCA 40ch, and he said that the sound is very, very good ! big and warm sound. He wants to sell it but 9000 euros...too expensive for me.

The VX i want to buy is in good working and technical 100%.

Stéphan

Own 2 X-Vca'a...love them! Great eq and vca setup...
Never had any engineer complain.

John

Marsellus Fariss

• Grey Eagle Music Hall
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2011, 07:43:35 pm »

Very nice! Here's mine hard at work at the club tonight:

Untitled by Funk-O-Meter, on Flickr

Having a big desk has made everything so much easier. Even though where not a big venue it doesn't stop people from wanting to use thier whole 25-35 channel festival input list every other day. Well now they can (half the time its a feedback fest) and I can still patch descretly and handle the opener on the right side of the desk and not do all that snapping pics of the channels and recalling crap.  I don't understand it but now I just do for them and don't have to talk them down from mic/DI for everything and 8-10 channels for drums in a 40'x50' room.

The old girl sounds great too.

Best $900 I ever spent.

If I come across the monitor version for cheap I'll buy one as well.

« Last Edit: September 25, 2011, 09:01:27 pm by Marsellus Fariss »
Marsellus Fariss
Production Manager
Grey Eagle Music Hall

Ambassador to Clubland
"Welcome to Clubland! Here's a Sharpie and your input list. Its 30 minutes till doors."

Quote from: dick rees
Just accept that it's a crap situation and take the money.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2011, 07:43:35 pm »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 23 queries.