ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Wireless lavs for Panel Discussions  (Read 5107 times)

Jeff Cornett

Wireless lavs for Panel Discussions
« on: February 01, 2011, 03:10:49 PM »

Any suggestions out there for wireless lav microphones/systems that work well for panel discussions for up to 5 people?  I'm trying to avoid feedback, and 'bleed' from one mic to the next - Have been using Shure Cardiods, but am thinking there may be much better quality mics out there - Certainly would appreciate any ideas/suggestions!

Tom Young

• Global Moderator
Re: Wireless lavs for Panel Discussions
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2011, 05:51:41 PM »

Any suggestions out there for wireless lav microphones/systems that work well for panel discussions for up to 5 people?  I'm trying to avoid feedback, and 'bleed' from one mic to the next - Have been using Shure Cardiods, but am thinking there may be much better quality mics out there - Certainly would appreciate any ideas/suggestions!

It would be helpful to know if this is a fixed installation (and therefore what are the acoustic conditions, positions of mic's versus speakers, type of speakers, mixing system (manned, automixer, etc) or a portable panel/conference system.

But in general; if you want to cover your ass as much as possible and if you have the client's support, head-worn mic's cannot be beat as far as their close proximity to the source (mouth), much more consistant levels as the talkers move their heads from side to side and up/down and less time spent consulting and handholding..... as opposed to lav positioning which often requires correction on the part of the sound operator and is (just as often) simply dictated by what the talkers are wearing.
Tom Young
Electroacoustic Design Services
Oxford CT
203-888-6217

Luke Robinson

• audio gods
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2011, 07:12:45 PM »

The Shure WL185 has the best gain before feedback of any lav I have used. they are a little large, but its worth being able to see it for the way it sounds. they are excellent.

Karl Winkler

• Lectrosonics
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2011, 01:17:20 PM »

As others have mentioned, headworn mics give the best possible gain before feedback. Directional elements in general can help, but they are challenging to place and can be very sensitive to breath noise and plosives.

I think what you really need in this situation is an auto mixer. Rent one if the location doesn't already have one.
In theory, theory and practice should be the same. In practice, they are not.

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2011, 02:15:08 PM »

As others have mentioned, headworn mics give the best possible gain before feedback. Directional elements in general can help, but they are challenging to place and can be very sensitive to breath noise and plosives.

I think what you really need in this situation is an auto mixer. Rent one if the location doesn't already have one.

Yep.  Auto-mixer.  I use Shure SCM410's for this exact purpose.  Having the intelligent gating and auto-leveling is the way to go.
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Brad Weber

• Marietta, GA
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2011, 02:44:22 PM »

Yep.  Auto-mixer.  I use Shure SCM410's for this exact purpose.  Having the intelligent gating and auto-leveling is the way to go.
I personally prefer gain sharing automixers as that approach more resembles riding the faders versus operating the mute buttons that a simple gate emulates, but there are some gated automixers like the Shure SCM410/810 mixers that go well beyond a simple gate and do a good job.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2011, 02:44:22 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 26 queries.