ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Roof pictures  (Read 8968 times)

JonathanSmith

Roof pictures
« on: September 19, 2011, 11:25:22 PM »

Here's the roof I was under this past weekend. I tried to tell the band's TM that this was a bad idea, but we did the show anyway. Eh, safety... Whatever...

It was built out of painter's scaff (5'x6.5' walkthrough scaff), 12" truss and 20" truss. The main roof and it's support spans are 20", and the wings are entirely 12". The 20" had a nice smile on it when we showed up, although it doesn't show well in the pictures.

At least it had guy wires attached.

But it doesn't matter if they're attached if they aren't anchored to anything. There were a total of two guy wires anchored, both on the upstage left corner. I didn't bother to see what they were attached to. It wouldn't have mattered.

And why bother bolting truss together properly (support span for the main roof), or use properly-sized swivel clamps, or attach the swivel clamps to the correct part of the truss.

And if you look closely, the downstage-onstage corner of the tarp has a giant hole in it. All of the "roof" skins had giant holes in them. I'm not sure if that was the design, but who uses a tarp with an 18" hole in it?
« Last Edit: September 19, 2011, 11:31:31 PM by JonathanSmith »

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
Re: Roof pictures
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2011, 01:23:14 AM »

Be thankful the tarp did have holes in it. There's no pitch to the roof so had there been a downpour the water buildup may have been enough to cause a collapse.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Charlie Zureki

• South Eastern Michigan (near Windsor)
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2011, 01:48:09 AM »

Hello,

Another fine example of crap.

Thanks for the photos.

Hammer
Do it the right way....don't be a Dino!

Dave Bigelow

• Louisville, KY when I am actually home...
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2011, 02:23:58 AM »

Wow.... WTF is that thing and why was it ever "constructed"?

Noah D Mitchell

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2011, 09:48:03 AM »

Here's the roof I was under this past weekend. I tried to tell the band's TM that this was a bad idea, but we did the show anyway. Eh, safety... Whatever...

Which band were you with?

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2011, 10:10:25 AM »

That's one of the more interesting uses of scaffolding and truss that I've seen.  These will go into my "how NOT to build a roof" file.

It would be informative to hear what a real scaffold engineer has to say about this.  I suspect that from a strictly static load bearing POV it *might* be within ratings, but the way it's used means those ratings are inadequate to determine suitability.

The rest.. guying and such... YIKES.

edit additions:  So this is a "faith-based" festival in Pennsy... I guess the safety shortcuts are acceptable because any failure can be chalked up to "god's will".  This is dangerous, and in the light of the Indiana State Fair blow-down, I'm surprised that the city or county that owns the fairgrounds permitted this construction even if the event wasn't theirs.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2011, 10:16:37 AM by Tim McCulloch »
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Mark Anderson

• Minneapolis MN
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2011, 12:15:12 PM »

"I've got a deck of cards, maybe we can build a stage out of that!"  ::)
Experience is something you gain immediately after you needed it.

RYAN LOUDMUSIC JENKINS

• Az Concert Sound Solutions
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2011, 08:37:25 PM »

I want to see the CAD file for that stage and roof!

Sam Zuckerman

• Baltimore, MD
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2011, 09:10:45 PM »

I want to see the CAD file for that stage and roof!
As if one exists.

Oh wait. I get it. Carry on...

Grayson MSA Rech

« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2011, 12:01:00 PM »

As if one exists.

Oh wait. I get it. Carry on...

Jesus . . . why the #$%^# doesn't someone take a firm stand on Shit like this!!!!!!!!  Yes I woke up on the wrong side of the bed this morning but really this kind of bollux needs to stop.  Its time to start calling promoters and event directors out on this.  The SR company should have run . . . its their array hanging from garbage.  Wonder if insurance would replaced broken sound gear if a collapse occured.  Every "professional" there should have known better . . .  I think the staging and roof company providing should be publicly mentioned here and then these pics forwarded to their insurance company if they have one . . . is in order.  Something tells me that would end this negligence in this small corner of the world. 

Don't even get me started on religion and the production world . . . I'll be booted for sure.

Rant off . . . and I though loosing my voice this morning was going to be the low point of my day . . . this stuff truely saddens me.

Grayson

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2011, 12:01:00 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.025 seconds with 19 queries.