ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: PKN 3PHASE-40K  (Read 22103 times)

Andre Spur

PKN 3PHASE-40K
« on: September 19, 2011, 04:30:10 AM »

New Three Phase 40000Watts amplifier from PKN Controls  :o

http://www.pknc.com/3phase_eng.html

How good would be the low frequency response due to the 3 phase powering?
Anybody has ever seen similar equipment?

ASP.

Nathan Salt

Re: PKN 3PHASE-40K
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2011, 09:06:18 AM »

Wow that is seriously beefcake
Nathan Salt

Andre Spur

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2011, 10:50:14 AM »

Wow that is seriously beefcake

Looks the most powerful professional amplifier ever. Will replaces lots of bridged amps...
I prefer the maximum power point of 2.6R stated instead of common 2R ratings.

More Voltage More Headroom

Daniel Goodnow

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2011, 02:23:30 PM »

And it's 1RU? This just seems unreal.

paul bell

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2011, 08:28:29 PM »

It's nice but it doesn't have the panache that the Crown Belchfire Series BF-6000SUX did. It had the exclusive cross fire mono mode and the "run like crazy" panel indicator.

Ricky Lighthall

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2011, 08:56:37 PM »

It's nice but it doesn't have the panache that the Crown Belchfire Series BF-6000SUX did. It had the exclusive cross fire mono mode and the "run like crazy" panel indicator.
...and it doesn't run off LP gas.

Blake Courtney

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2011, 11:13:13 PM »

...and it doesn't run off LP gas.

Ok. Is a Joke?

I had a hard time believing the Specs on the PowerSoft stuff but having seen them in action...

But seriously 4x10kw? What are you going to plug it into?

Even if it works would you really want that much power or want to have one amp running that many boxes?

Blake

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2011, 01:21:09 AM »

Ok. Is a Joke?

I had a hard time believing the Specs on the PowerSoft stuff but having seen them in action...

But seriously 4x10kw? What are you going to plug it into?

Even if it works would you really want that much power or want to have one amp running that many boxes?

Blake

You'd plug it into 3 phase 400v 45-65Hz, no neutral.  It draws 25 amps.  It looks like you can feed it anything from 208v to 480v.  The claim it will stay running (no indication of performance hit) if you drop a phase leg.

As to what you'd power with it... we currently power our VerTec rigs with original I-Techs, 6000s on the 4889, and we divide the hang into 2 or 3 sections with each section being 2, 3 or 4 speakers in parallel.  We could put the entire SL or SR amps (including sub amps) in a single rack, compared to the 3-4 racks per side now.  In the real world that means 2 amp racks in the truck pack, rather than 2 rows of amp racks and makes the truck 900# lighter.

For a regional provider the accumulation of size & weight savings can mean fewer trucks or smaller rental trucks that don't require CDL drivers.  Transportation costs are a big chunk of show-related expenses and saving money there is a Very Good Thing.

I realize the channel density makes you nervous - losing one amp could have serious consequences - but at the level of operation these are marketed to, carrying spares is a given.  I suppose they're not for everybody.  It might be amusing to see a bar owner's face when asked where the 440v power is...

Have fun, good luck.

Tim Mc

ps. Yes, the Belchfire is a joke.
pps. One of the shortcomings of the PKN amp is a 2v. input sensitivity.  Needs more options, perhaps that's part of the DSP add-in.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Jay Barracato

• Solomons, MD
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2011, 06:26:47 AM »

You'd plug it into 3 phase 400v 45-65Hz, no neutral.  It draws 25 amps.  It looks like you can feed it anything from 208v to 480v.  The claim it will stay running (no indication of performance hit) if you drop a phase leg.

As to what you'd power with it... we currently power our VerTec rigs with original I-Techs, 6000s on the 4889, and we divide the hang into 2 or 3 sections with each section being 2, 3 or 4 speakers in parallel.  We could put the entire SL or SR amps (including sub amps) in a single rack, compared to the 3-4 racks per side now.  In the real world that means 2 amp racks in the truck pack, rather than 2 rows of amp racks and makes the truck 900# lighter.

For a regional provider the accumulation of size & weight savings can mean fewer trucks or smaller rental trucks that don't require CDL drivers.  Transportation costs are a big chunk of show-related expenses and saving money there is a Very Good Thing.

I realize the channel density makes you nervous - losing one amp could have serious consequences - but at the level of operation these are marketed to, carrying spares is a given.  I suppose they're not for everybody.  It might be amusing to see a bar owner's face when asked where the 440v power is...

Have fun, good luck.

Tim Mc

ps. Yes, the Belchfire is a joke.
pps. One of the shortcomings of the PKN amp is a 2v. input sensitivity.  Needs more options, perhaps that's part of the DSP add-in.

While I have never been it a big fan of bridging, it was once pointed out to me that if an amp has enough to push 4 parallel boxes, there is an enormous saving (money and weight) in copper.
Jay Barracato

Brad Weber

• Marietta, GA
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2011, 08:13:35 AM »

New Three Phase 40000Watts amplifier from PKN Controls  :o

http://www.pknc.com/3phase_eng.html
Not available until a projected Q1/2012.  No apparent regulatory agency listings.  Non-standard power connector and no identification of related power cord termination.  No identification of how the power ratings specified were obtained or what they represent (and since the amps apparently won't be available for some time, if they are based on predictions, prototypes or production units).  These may turn out to be an interesting option for some applications but what is presented seems more a concept.

I'm a little surprised that given some of the seemingly likely applications there seems to be no AES3 or networked audio input options.  I'm also curious as to what the DSP option noted actually is and does, there are no apparent slots for a user installed card so it would seem to be an internal module.

Tim, the specifications note an input sensitivity of 0.775VRMS/0dBu or 2VRMS/+8dBu selected from the menu, however they don't note a maximum input level.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2011, 08:13:35 AM »

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 23 queries.