ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Opinions on Crowd Blinders  (Read 15980 times)

Hal Harrison

• Harrison Production Services, LLC
Opinions on Crowd Blinders
« on: September 18, 2011, 03:55:46 PM »

Hello all,

Interested in your opinions on best value crowd blinders? I was thinking of going with LED blinders but they seem to be rather high for the amount of light output at this point in time with LED technology. I have some tree dimmers that I was planning on using to power/control t he blinders and I was thinking about a 4 bank blinder. Any ideas/suggestions?

Thanks
Hal Harrison

Craig Leerman

• Global Moderator
  • Do Not Read This!
Re: Opinions on Crowd Blinders
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2011, 04:26:41 AM »

Personally, I hate crowd blinders. While they used to be a pretty cool effect when used sparingly, when they are on a rig, it seems most LDs can't keep their hands off the damn blinder bump.  The last few concerts I have attended as an audience member (big country act, new country act, big classic rock lineup) the blinders were used on almost every song.  Way distracting, and taking away from the performance, not adding to it.

If you must have some in your inventory to meet riders, I would go with the LED RGB 4 bank style. That way, you can also use colors, not just a white blinder effect, and also use them as area wash lights when not using them as blinders.  The 4 bank style would be better to me than the larger units cause they are easier to rig (lighter, and fit into more spaces) than bigger units, and easier to transport and store. Plus, with the LED units you won't need any dimmers or relays.
I'm so old, when I was doing FOH for Tommy Dorsey, to balance out the horn section I would slide their chairs downstage and upstage to mix!

TechWorksReno.com
Facebook.com/TechWorksReno
Pinterest.com/TechWorks0492

Jay Barracato

• Solomons, MD
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2011, 06:36:15 AM »

Personally, I hate crowd blinders. While they used to be a pretty cool effect when used sparingly, when they are on a rig, it seems most LDs can't keep their hands off the damn blinder bump.  The last few concerts I have attended as an audience member (big country act, new country act, big classic rock lineup) the blinders were used on almost every song.  Way distracting, and taking away from the performance, not adding to it.

If you must have some in your inventory to meet riders, I would go with the LED RGB 4 bank style. That way, you can also use colors, not just a white blinder effect, and also use them as area wash lights when not using them as blinders.  The 4 bank style would be better to me than the larger units cause they are easier to rig (lighter, and fit into more spaces) than bigger units, and easier to transport and store. Plus, with the LED units you won't need any dimmers or relays.

Ha!

I agree with Craig about the overuse, and annoyance of blinders. I was going to suggest some movers that could also do double duty with other effects.
Jay Barracato

Hal Harrison

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2011, 07:36:06 AM »

Jay and Craig,

I am not a big blinder fan either but if the act's LD requests them then you purchase them if you want their business... plain and simple.

James Brooks

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2011, 11:19:02 AM »

Here's what works for me.
10 old par36 pinspot cans.
Remove bulb and the transformer, all the guts.
Install a 4509 bulb, 100 watts 13 volt, 110,000 lumens, 7 x 8 degree beam.
Put the 10 cans one light bar, wire all the lights in series.
Put a 10A fuse in series too, when one bulb blows the other bulbs won't blow too.
Bar pulls 1000 watts total.
Sense they are separate fixtures now you can now aim each light not to offend.
In a close club gig I aim one light to hit the ceiling,
the next one to hit the floor.
In a big gig I aim them to just hit the ceiling.
10 x 110,000 = 1,100,000 lumens total.

James Feenstra

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2011, 10:09:30 AM »

I completely agree...some artists actually LIKE their LD's doing that though, which I never understand

I like blinders behind the band to silhouette them though

As for what to get...go with a 4, 6 or 8 lite mole flay style blinder on a dimmer...a lot of LD's won't accept LED blinders on riders because they don't dim as nicely.

Something like this;
http://www.alibaba.com/product/kupo-100256115-100703898/Audience_Blinder_4_Lites.html

are what I'd like to see when I ask for blinders on a rider
Elevation Audiovisual
www.elevationav.com
Taking your events to the next level

Bill Bluell

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2011, 01:37:14 AM »

I completely agree...some artists actually LIKE their LD's doing that though, which I never understand

I like blinders behind the band to silhouette them though

As for what to get...go with a 4, 6 or 8 lite mole flay style blinder on a dimmer...a lot of LD's won't accept LED blinders on riders because they don't dim as nicely.

Something like this;
http://www.alibaba.com/product/kupo-100256115-100703898/Audience_Blinder_4_Lites.html

are what I'd like to see when I ask for blinders on a rider

I read the entire post and while my response is not related to the original post, it is related to something you said. You instructed the poster to wire the pars in series and then add a 10 amp fuse inline so they other lights would not blow. Since they are wired in series, there would be no need to add an additional fuse. Once the lamp blows in series, they all go out and suffer no ill effects as they are no longer energized. If there is any surge in power at all, it is minimized by the fact that the entire series goes out instantly.
I have been using  banks of 10, of the same lamp type that came off a late 90's Beach Boy's tour and were mounted underneath the risers as crowd blinders. I have never had any of the other 9 lamps blow because one lamp in the series went out. I have used these in my rig for over 10 years and never had the problem you explained.  Does anyone else see the need for a fuse in this series.
I personally see a place for this type of effect when used judiciously. As we all know, any idiot can turn lights on and off. What makes us professional, is to know when to use them and how often.

James Brooks

« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2011, 10:41:28 AM »

I did have that problem. One bulb would blow and 2 or 3 other bulbs would blow too.
Old light guy suggested the fuse. It worked.
What bulb are you using?
I'm using 4509's and 4552's.
Does the fuse on that dimmer trip when the bulb blows?

Thanks,
Jim Brooks

Bill Bluell

« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2011, 11:24:46 AM »

I did have that problem. One bulb would blow and 2 or 3 other bulbs would blow too.
Old light guy suggested the fuse. It worked.
What bulb are you using?
I'm using 4509's and 4552's.
Does the fuse on that dimmer trip when the bulb blows?

Thanks,
Jim Brooks

Hello Jim,
 I guess it depends on the circumstance when the lamp blows. If the lamp is cracked and goes out because of the power draw due to the air, then I would say the fuse is probably wise.
 In my case, I have never lost one of these to bad glass. I store my blinders in bomb proof cases and the filament generally goes before I crack glass. This is likley why I have never blown a dimmer circuit. Perhaps I have just been lucky
 I was using my own history with these and never considered another scenario where you have damage to the glass. In retrospect, I should have considered both before I posted.
I have only used the 4509's.

Thanks, Bill

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2011, 11:24:46 AM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 25 queries.