ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: help with video broadcast  (Read 4680 times)

brad smith

help with video broadcast
« on: September 17, 2011, 03:41:44 PM »

I generally do live sound and just recently provided for a city festival. Anyways, I got a call to see if I could help with a problem that they were having with the council meeting that is broadcast at a later date through the regional cable TV provider. They record the meeting into a CDR and into a DVD recorder for the video.

Here's the problem. They told me that the DVD that they send to the TV provider always sounds fine when they have played it to check the recording through their player. Then when it is played at a later date through the TV provider, the video appears fine, but the audio sounds distorted or almost slurry/scrambled and almost unitelligable.

I figured that there is a gain problem between what was recorded to where it is broadcast at the TV provider's location. The city's IT team said everything is fine on their end and the TV provider is telling them that everything is fine on their end, so it becomes the blame game.

I was called in just to offer any ideas that might have to offer so figured I'd come here to get some opinions on any ideas that you guys have to offer.

Thanks,

Brad Smith

Jordan Wolf

Re: help with video broadcast
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2011, 08:28:29 PM »

...the audio sounds distorted or almost slurry/scrambled and almost unitelligable.

I figured that there is a gain problem between what was recorded to where it is broadcast at the TV provider's location. The city's IT team said everything is fine on their end and the TV provider is telling them that everything is fine on their end, so it becomes the blame game.
Brad,

Have you heard the audio for yourself?  I would get them to let you follow the process they go through so that you can hear the "good" and "bad" audio.  That could let you in on what the problem is.

When someone says "slurry" or "scrambled", I usually think the weather...or eggs, but in this case, it may be digital artifacts from crappy compression/conversion.  (Think crappy mp3 recording with all that digital hash that reminds you of being in a flushing toilet.)

If there is a compressor in use (most likely) you can check to see just how much it's squashing the mix.  If you have a Qbox or similar device, bring it and a pair of headphones.  Check the signal chain one device at a time if possible to eliminate potential sources of distortion.

Report back when the issue is resolved...inquiring minds want to know.
Jordan Wolf
<><

"We want our sound to go into the soul of the audience, and see if it can awaken some little thing in their minds... Cause there are so many sleeping people." - Jimi Hendrix

ProSoundWeb Community

Re: help with video broadcast
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2011, 08:28:29 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 23 queries.