ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Wireless frequency reference spreadsheet  (Read 7176 times)

Pete Erskine

• Best Audio
Wireless frequency reference spreadsheet
« on: September 17, 2011, 02:01:25 PM »

Here is an update to my wireless frequency reference spreadsheet or channel guide.  I added the ability to mark the DTV stations in your area and to use either NTSC or PAL frequency bands.  If anyone would like additional manufacturers added, please let me know.

http://www.bestaudio.com/Freq_coord.htm

Pete Erskine
[email protected]
917-750-1134
« Last Edit: September 18, 2011, 01:27:29 PM by Pete Erskine »
Pete Erskine
917-750-1134
www.bestaudio.com
[email protected]

Dan Mortensen

Re: Wireless frequency reference spreadsheet
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2011, 03:51:25 PM »

Here is an update to my wireless frequency reference spreadsheet or channel guide.

WOW, Peter, thank you for giving this to us! I have not EVER seen such a clear summation of all that information, and appreciate all the work you put into it.

FYI, I use Open Office as a free Word/Excell/etc. translation program, and it said there were macros embedded in the spreadsheet and that viruses can hide in macros, and therefore they were disabled in my version upon this opening. While I don't worry much about viruses with my Macs, can someone verify for other people that there are no viruses inadvertently in it?

Thanks again for this most impressive work. I'm going to send a link to this page to my friends.

Best,
Dan

Pete Erskine

• Best Audio
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2011, 04:16:15 PM »

No viruses.  The macros allow you do do the TV marking andf to hide wireless manu you are not interested in.
Pete Erskine
917-750-1134
www.bestaudio.com
[email protected]

Brian Ehlers

• West Michigan
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2011, 05:43:54 PM »

Agreed.  It's a great spreadsheet.  Thanks for sharing!  I wish I had it a couple years ago.   8)

Ade Stuart

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2011, 07:58:08 PM »

Agreed.  It's a great spreadsheet.  Thanks for sharing!  I wish I had it a couple years ago.   8)

+1 and thanks for sharing.

Palmer Johnston

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2011, 10:23:38 AM »

bumping this b/c it should be on page 1

great tool, thanks!

Jonathan Wade

• Suburban Legend Audio
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2011, 11:07:13 AM »

Pete, thanks so much.  Your hard work and generosity are appreciated.  On your next revision, any chance of adding Audio Technica's new I band?  Again, thanks. 

Pete Erskine

• Best Audio
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2011, 07:56:16 PM »

I am investigating the I band for A/T.  I have uploaded version 2.3 which has added Shure, EV and Q5X wireless.
Pete Erskine
917-750-1134
www.bestaudio.com
[email protected]

Pete Erskine

• Best Audio
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2011, 11:10:24 AM »

Version 2.4 is loaded.  Includes more Shure Q5x and EV wireless freq bands.
If you are missing your wireless on the chart, send me the band info and the link to the website of the Manufacturer showing the freq info.

http://www.bestaudio.com/Freq_coord.htm

Pete Erskine
[email protected]
917-750-1134
Pete Erskine
917-750-1134
www.bestaudio.com
[email protected]

Pete Erskine

• Best Audio
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2011, 12:16:04 PM »

Version 2.5 is loaded.

Added K4 Shure UHF-R and showed splits in Shure J5 and MA where the band is split.
Also added a comment to the version cell which shows changes.

Thinking about adding links to each band box to the manufacturers web pages.
Comments?
Pete Erskine
917-750-1134
www.bestaudio.com
[email protected]

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2011, 12:22:22 PM »

Version 2.5 is loaded.

Added K4 Shure UHF-R and showed splits in Shure J5 and MA where the band is split.
Also added a comment to the version cell which shows changes.

Thinking about adding links to each band box to the manufacturers web pages.
Comments?

Lots of time on your hands since the dives got cancelled I guess. ;-)

Mac

TomBoisseau

« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2011, 06:27:01 PM »

Please forgive my ignorance, but I can't seem to figure out how to download the "channel guide" file. 

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Tom

Pete Erskine

• Best Audio
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2011, 01:06:47 PM »

Click on the link to go to the Best Audio RF page.  Then click on the picture of the reference spreadsheet.  It is a zip file.  Open it and extract the spreadsheet.

OR....Here is a link for direct download of the zip file:

http://www.bestaudio.com/_private/downloads/channels.zip

Pete Erskine
917-750-1134
www.bestaudio.com
[email protected]

TomBoisseau

« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2011, 08:06:24 AM »

Oh!  That's very nice!  I can certainly put that to good use.  Thank you Peter.

So I assume you'll be updating the file every couple of months?  Just kidding.  Thanks again.

Tom

Pete Erskine

• Best Audio
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2011, 10:20:45 AM »

I'd be glad uo update the file anytime.  If there is a model or band you would like, just let me know.  A link to the manufacturer's freq list would save some time.  Enjoy the list.
Pete Erskine
917-750-1134
www.bestaudio.com
[email protected]

Dan Mortensen

« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2011, 04:04:22 PM »

I'd be glad uo update the file anytime.  If there is a model or band you would like, just let me know.  A link to the manufacturer's freq list would save some time.  Enjoy the list.

Hi Pete,

In using your list to determine usable frequencies once the White Spaces Portable Devices come online, as well as the Shure summary of the FCC order in Oct. 2010 (  http://www.shure.com/americas/news-events/spectrum-issues/white-spaces/index.htm  ), I came up with:

TV Channels Reserved for exclusive wireless mic use in Seattle (other locations may differ a bit in the last two channels around channel 37):
---15 (476-482)
---18 (494-500)
---20 (506-512)
---36 (602-608)
---40 (626-632)

For an under 30 unit wireless system, we must first use these channels exclusively, and fill them to capacity, with "capacity" defined by the FCC as a minimum of 6 microphones per TV channel. Once we have done that, then we can enter the excess frequencies we will be using into the database which the new White Spaces Devices will access to determine if they can safely operate in a given area.

Other than that, we portable providers are prohibited from operating wireless mics anywhere in the spectrum covered by the term "White Spaces", or from entering such usage into the future database. And, given the interference and disruption that the new devices will cause in wireless mic systems without warning, we would not want to do so, anyway.

And when using the term "wireless mic systems", it also means in-ear systems, intercom systems, and anything else we use that operates in those frequencies.

Do I have this correct?

If so, looking at your chart, there are a LOT of wireless mic systems that will be joining their 700 MHz-and-above brothers in the junkpile or going overseas.

Thanks,
Dan

Pete Erskine

• Best Audio
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2011, 04:49:46 PM »

All the wireless below 700 still can be used.  In non set aside channels you must register your use in the database, currently in beta to protect your frequencies. white space devices must avoid use in these registered bands within a 1km radius of your venue.  You can usually fit more than 6 mics in a tv channel.  30 freqs within those 5 channels are easy to do.
Pete Erskine
917-750-1134
www.bestaudio.com
[email protected]

Dan Mortensen

« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2011, 06:12:32 PM »

All the wireless below 700 still can be used.  In non set aside channels you must register your use in the database, currently in beta to protect your frequencies. white space devices must avoid use in these registered bands within a 1km radius of your venue.  You can usually fit more than 6 mics in a tv channel.  30 freqs within those 5 channels are easy to do.

The Shure summary of the FCC document says you have to FIRST use the set-aside channels with a minimum of 6 mics each, and THEN you can register in the database 30 days ahead of time.

Quoting: "Venues must request database registration at least 30 days in advance, and must certify that at least 6 wireless microphones are operating in each of the reserved TV channels available at that location." (emphasis added)

That isn't quite what you are saying in the quoted post.

If it's true that you have to get beyond using 30 mic frequencies before you can register additional mic frequencies in the database 30 days ahead of time, what happens when I'm in Room A of the convention center or hotel using 15 frequencies, and someone else is in Room B using 20 frequencies, and a third vendor is in Room C using 22? None of us thought we had to register because we are below 30, but we find out day-of-show that there are not enough open frequencies within the five channels available to accommodate us all, and no way to register in the database on the day of need.

And I mis-stated about 6 being the FCC definition of "at capacity" in a channel. They are just saying that you have to certify that you are using AT LEAST 6 in each of the reserved channels, regardless of the capacity of the channel for your particular wireless systems.

BTW, I just watched the webinar that Stoffo and Brunner presented before, and it is really informative, touching on many of these issues.

Thanks,
Dan

Pete Erskine

• Best Audio
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2011, 08:54:18 AM »

Of course it goes without saying, that you use the allocated wireless channels to capacity first.  Just be sure to register enough channels in advance to cover any additional channels you need as well as backup freqs. 

Manufacturers are developing new equipment which can be spaced closer without IM issues,  The new Shure Axient system can be as close as 200kHz and has no measurable 5th order to worry about.  In the future, I believe, there will be wireless with no IM issues at all even if they are as close as 100 kHz and no consideration is taken for IM, even 3rd order.  All that is needed is for the technology to catch up.
Pete Erskine
917-750-1134
www.bestaudio.com
[email protected]

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2011, 08:54:18 AM »

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.023 seconds with 24 queries.