ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Audio noob needs help...........please!!!  (Read 10385 times)

Allan Hansen

Audio noob needs help...........please!!!
« on: February 01, 2011, 05:24:40 AM »

Hello to all on the forum, and thanks for any help given.

I have been asked by my Pastor to look into recording audio for our church. We have a decent mixing desk, (i will provide the name of it to you here as soon as possible) but it is a very basic set up.

We have a couple of medium sized speakers, a good mixing desk, good amp, but no recording equipment.

I need something that will connect to the mixer that is easy to understand and so that i can teach other people once i get the hang of it, thanks for any help as this is stressful enough for me, thanks.

Would there be anyway of connecting to a laptop and recording from it instead, as we do have a good laptop, and we also have Wavelab Studio 6 to!!??

thanks..........Allan

John Fiorello

Re: Audio noob needs help...........please!!!
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2011, 01:07:57 PM »

Hi Allen!

Could you give us a bit more detail on what you're recording and what you're hoping to do with the recording?  How many inputs?  What's the output going to?

Also, what is your budget?  You could record for anywhere from 7 dollars to a few grand easily depending on the details.

Thanks!

JF
Stop.  Think.  Speak.

George Dougherty

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2011, 12:34:52 PM »

The answer depends greatly on what you mean by the vague statement that you want to record audio for the church.  Do you want to record sermons for distribution on CD or Web?  Do you want to do just a simple output of the mixing board and record what goes to the PA?  Do you want to multi-track everything in the service and mix-down later to make some CD's?

Fred Dorado

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2011, 03:07:07 PM »

If you just want to record sermons, something like this might work
http://www.eztrackercd.com/

I am in the process of trying it, 30 day free trial so you can see if it does what you want.

Ultimately you need a computer, but just about anything laying around might work.

I like the simplicity of it and the features. it's nice to record a sermon, have it on your hard drive and the just click the burn cd button.

I am still in the trial period, but will probably end up buying it soon

Jim Neighbors

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2011, 03:50:42 PM »

audacity is a free recording program for your computer.  We use Sound Forge at our church (it is not free, I like to use it) and have recorded using two methods.

1, our board had a 2 track output,  we used this outpute and an RCA to mini plug to connect to the input on our computer.  This works fine, especially if your recording only the sermon.

2, used 2 aux sends and connected from them to computer input to record.  works fine for recording sermons and when I get the aux send balanced well, the music is pretty good also.

If you have some money to spend, there are many other methods that work much better than the ones above.  They are suggestions if you don't have  money or experienced people to do the recordings. 

George Dougherty

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2011, 11:33:11 AM »

At $40 Reaper is almost free and is great for recording.  It is however a full featured multi-track app and could be intimidating for a new user.

Frank DeWitt

• LBP DI Box
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2011, 10:03:49 AM »

+1 for EZTrackerCD.  If you want to get the service down on a couple of tracks or mono, you can't beat it.

A very nice feature is that it will insert a track whenever you click a button, or put one in at a preset time interval.  OR BOTH.  We have it set to 6 min.  we click the button after each song, prayer, ETC until the sermon starts,  Then just let it go and get a new track every 6 min. We use the build in burner to burn a master CD during the final song and we are copying them as people are filling into the foyer.

It was written for church and it is perfect for church.

Frank

Not to Code

Don Lanier

• Pearl Pro Audio
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2011, 11:24:20 PM »

For the Novice I dont recommend computer based systems, Unless your familiar with computers, Today you can buy Stand alone Digital recorders that are Push button RECORD, when your Done, Take the recorder and plug into your HOME computer and Burn the CD, Tascam makes several great models the DR-1 is the cheapest version for 2 track recording, Youll need some cables and Outputs from your console, AUX or MAIN, into the DR-1. It uses a SD card for a memory device, these can be up to 8 Gig, A 2 Gig SD Card will more then do the job and comes Included with the unit. Ive owned one of these for quite a while its been used for everything from LIVE CONCERTS, to Speakers, to Sermons and Event/Location recording. It has built in mics, But I prefer to use the LINE IN feature, Check them out on Tascams website,

Don Lanier
www,pearlproaudio.com

Fred Dorado

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2011, 01:12:22 AM »

Have you every tried EZTrackerCD?

I am guessing not based on your post. It has less steps and is much simpler than what you are describing. Which is the reason why we are moving away from some other computer based stuff.

Not sure of the required specs either, but I think they are pretty low. We run an old pentium4 3.2ghz that does this and our LiveWorship stuff at the same time.

The 30 days trial is free, you should try it.

The program is purposefully simple. Our regular who runs it is not very computer savvy, though he can do basic word processing and e-mail.

here is a screen shot

For the Novice I dont recommend computer based systems, Unless your familiar with computers, Today you can buy Stand alone Digital recorders that are Push button RECORD, when your Done, Take the recorder and plug into your HOME computer and Burn the CD, Tascam makes several great models the DR-1 is the cheapest version for 2 track recording, Youll need some cables and Outputs from your console, AUX or MAIN, into the DR-1. It uses a SD card for a memory device, these can be up to 8 Gig, A 2 Gig SD Card will more then do the job and comes Included with the unit. Ive owned one of these for quite a while its been used for everything from LIVE CONCERTS, to Speakers, to Sermons and Event/Location recording. It has built in mics, But I prefer to use the LINE IN feature, Check them out on Tascams website,

Don Lanier
www,pearlproaudio.com

DonSneed

« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2011, 05:19:16 PM »

If you want it to be simple & record on a CD, Microboard Copy Writer Live is your answer.....I connect the recorder to an AUX channel to allow a perfect mixing for the recorder, if you use the record out jacks than you are at the mercy of the FOH mix, use an AUX channel & mix with headphones in the recorder to get a perfect blended recording. Example if using the record out jacks, if the FOH is mixed perfect & a piano or soloist is too loud....oh welll, nothing you can do to correct without upsetting the house mix, use an AUX channel & mix the piano or soloist to blend. the microboard Copy Writter Live CD Recorder is a dual non stop recorder that can record two disc at once or a continue recording, one disc records when full the second disc starts 30-seconds before the first disc in full to not miss a word when recording a 3-hr + Sunday service, special program, or event. This would the simplest, cost is $679.00 for this unit...We install this unit with all our church installations to record the service.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2011, 05:19:16 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 25 queries.