ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: New system at Lambeau Field - problems?  (Read 12116 times)

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
Re: New system at Lambeau Field - problems?
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2011, 09:47:55 PM »

Hi Bob,
Actually we supplied the speakers (not the layout or installation) for the main sound system and the problem isn’t not being loud enough, it’s that the pattern is such that as soon as you are out of it, the sound is greatly diminished.  At the south end, there are places in the corners that are not covered sufficiently and so some additional boxes (SH-50’s or SH-46’s not sure which) are being added to fill those spots out.  Otherwise the feedback has been very positive.

Best,
Tom Danley
Danley Sound Labs

some pictures here;
http://www.facebook.com/DanleySoundLabs?ref=ts

Thanks Tom. It would be nice to know who did what here. I say that because the articles I've read don't mention Danley Sound at all, and I for one was left with the initial impression the entire job was done by another team using Community's products only.

I'm sure with your talent and products the problem will be resolved in less than a heart beat. Keep us up to date please.

Best back to you,
BL
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

duane massey

« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2011, 11:43:31 PM »

Yep, that's what I figured. It seems that politics are not the only area where the media leaves out a lot of the "insignificant" details, and false impressions become "facts".
Somehow couldn't picture Tom D allowing a system to be poorly done.
Duane Massey
Technician, musician, stubborn old guy
Houston, Texas

Mike Hedden

« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2011, 07:47:21 AM »

Yep, that's what I figured. It seems that politics are not the only area where the media leaves out a lot of the "insignificant" details, and false impressions become "facts".
Somehow couldn't picture Tom D allowing a system to be poorly done.
I worked on the design team for Lambeau and as Tom has pointed out, the south end zone undergoes a substantial renovation after this season and the Green Bay leadership decided it woud be properly addressed then. As to if the system is working properly, the STI measurements made by the Fire Marshal show the vast majority of the space being a .7 and as such, they were very impressed.  Aaron Rodgers, the reigning Super Bowl MVP stated after a post game interview how he liked the new sound system!  That video is up on our Facebook page and YouTube. When's the last time you've heard an athlete mention anything regarding the audio system.  All that said, it's a 73,000 seat stadium, in the age of chat rooms and blogs, you think you'll ever get 100% agreement on anything?!
I too have been a bit confused by various print/internet sources as to who did what at Lambeau but as Tom has stated, Danley products address the entire main stadium proper,(Genesis Horns and TH118s) as well as the luxury boxes (SHMicro's).  The Community products, (great people and products) cover the concourse/breeze way areas.
In conclusion, I'd love to give everyone a demo of this system, to be in a difficult space, luxury boxes four stories high wrap almost the entire field, it really sounds nice.

Mike Hedden
Danley Sound Labs, Inc.

Jason Joseph

• Vibrant Soundz
    • VibrantSoundz.net
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2011, 08:52:22 AM »

Great job guys!

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2011, 10:08:39 AM »

120db Speakers? did anyone measure the crowd noise throughout the stadium or were these boxes chosen for their weather resistant design alone? I just can't picture these cabinets surrounding the seating perimeter reaching the crowd in the middle of the seating areas with enough volume to be heard over the noise level of the crowd. But I've been wrong before, so who knows.
You have to remember that these are not normal loudspeakers-expecially coverage wise.

The GH60 has most of its energy coming out of the top of the horn and considerably less out of the bottom.

So the main axis is pointed at the front rows and much less energy is going to the seats at the top.  Of course those seats are closer-so they need less level to be "equal" in level.

I don't remember the exact numbers, but the first time I was there I measured something on the order of a difference of around 3dB from the top seats to the ones next to the field.

And because of the pattern that is basically a downward facing one, there is much less energy from one side getting to the other (cross field contamination).  You hear mostly direct sound and very limited reflected sound.  With nobody in the stadium you do get a decent 1st order reflection from the sound hitting the seats and being reflected to the other side.  But with the "bags of water" in place, they pretty much kill the reflection.

Hence the high STI (.7) that Mike stated.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2011, 10:18:12 AM »

http://packersnews.greenbaypressgazette.com/comments/article/20110914/PKR01/110914138/Fans-complain-Green-Bay-Packers-about-poor-audio-quality-new-sound-system-Lambeau-Field

This article (and the reader comments) came as a shock, to say the least, considering what was installed and who installed it.
I have no idea the specifics of what is being talked about, but do know that the consultant and the contractor are very happy with the sound (with the sound end being addressed as we speak).

On one of my trips there, the contractor was having a problem with the fiber link-causing a distrotion that sounded like severe clipping-but still "useful"-kinda :-\.

There are 3 amp rooms and the control room in the basic system.  All signals are cobranet being transmitted over fiber to the different locations.

It could be that there was a problem in the signal transfer to one of the amp rooms-causing a section to have a problem.

To be honest-I am just leary of large scale digital transfer of signals.  Yes when it is working, it is fine and cool and has lots of advantages.  However when it is not working-you can have all kinds of weird problems/issues.  At least with analog, you can patch into any point in the system and measure and generate any sort of standard analog signal to test.  With digital, it is more like "let's try this" or "swap that out and let's see".

I was at a kinda large college stadium this week and they were having some of the same sort of "weirdness" with the digital transfer from FOH to the amp room.

Call me old fashioned-but I still like copper.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Stu McDoniel

• Central Wisconsin...USA
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2011, 09:43:02 PM »

http://packersnews.greenbaypressgazette.com/comments/article/20110914/PKR01/110914138/Fans-complain-Green-Bay-Packers-about-poor-audio-quality-new-sound-system-Lambeau-Field

This article (and the reader comments) came as a shock, to say the least, considering what was installed and who installed it.
Ok I live in central Wisconsin and Im a huge Packer fan..I have friends who go to the games who know good sound and ALL I have heard is how great this new Danley system sounds.  I can hear the difference even when Im watching on TV with the articulation and clarity.  The comment I recieved from a friend who knows good sound is he never heard reverb in the space.   Everywhere he went he said it was fantastic.   A few grumbling idiots with no clue can lead to articles like the one listed.   Tom and his crew and Ivan will get on it and get whatever issue there is fixed. 

duane massey

« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2011, 10:44:40 PM »

+1 on copper over digital. I'm an old guy, too...
Duane Massey
Technician, musician, stubborn old guy
Houston, Texas

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2011, 10:44:40 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.02 seconds with 24 queries.