ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 700 MHz wireless users take note!  (Read 5237 times)

Don Boomer

• RF Venue
700 MHz wireless users take note!
« on: September 15, 2011, 01:56:25 PM »

AT&T is turning on it's new LTE service in Atlanta, Chicago, Dallas, Houston and San Antonio starting this Sunday.  So if you have been holding out using 700 mics with channels in AT&T's band the debate may be over.  :D

http://gizmodo.com/5840703/att-flips-the-lte-switch-this-sunday
Don Boomer
Senior applications engineer
RF Venue, Inc.

Anderson Schulle

Re: 700 MHz wireless users take note!
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2011, 12:26:15 AM »

AT&T is turning on it's new LTE service in Atlanta, Chicago, Dallas, Houston and San Antonio starting this Sunday.  So if you have been holding out using 700 mics with channels in AT&T's band the debate may be over.  :D

http://gizmodo.com/5840703/att-flips-the-lte-switch-this-sunday

Thanks for the heads up, Don. Sounds like they are getting ready for 4G and the new iPhone :-)
We've donated all of our 700 Hz wireless mics to a church in Brazil where they can use them without any issue.
I'll be heading there this November again on a mission trip, if anyone wants to donate some. ;)

Jonathan Johnson

• Southwest Washington (state, not DC)
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2011, 07:35:16 PM »

I am by no means an expert, but I understand that exporting certain types of radio equipment may require an export license from the Department of Commerce, depending on the technology the equipment uses and the country to which it is being exported.

I do not know how this applies to wireless microphones in the 700MHz spectrum, but it might be something to consider.
Stop confusing the issue with facts and logic!

Brad Weber

• Marietta, GA
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2011, 07:03:36 AM »

I am by no means an expert, but I understand that exporting certain types of radio equipment may require an export license from the Department of Commerce, depending on the technology the equipment uses and the country to which it is being exported.

I do not know how this applies to wireless microphones in the 700MHz spectrum, but it might be something to consider.
I have had the same questions regarding RF equipment being sent to other countries and believe that there may be some countries to which shipping it is prohibited.  I wish somebody with a better understanding of the intricacies and legalities of exporting RF equipment could help clear this up.

Henry Cohen

• Westchester Co., NY, USA
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2011, 06:54:50 PM »

I have had the same questions regarding RF equipment being sent to other countries and believe that there may be some countries to which shipping it is prohibited.  I wish somebody with a better understanding of the intricacies and legalities of exporting RF equipment could help clear this up.

Presuming the RF equipment for export does not contain any advanced ecryption scheme classified as munitions by the State Department (which no wireless mic/com/IEM possess), export away. The significant issue will be the destination country's import regulations in general and RF equipment in particular.

I don't believe the 256 bit encryption used by the Lectro 700, AKG digital or Zaxcom is considered munitions as it's a pretty standard algorithm.
Henry Cohen

CP Communications    www.cpcomms.com
Radio Active Designs   www.radioactiverf.com

Karl Winkler

• Lectrosonics
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2011, 01:15:01 PM »

Presuming the RF equipment for export does not contain any advanced ecryption scheme classified as munitions by the State Department (which no wireless mic/com/IEM possess), export away. The significant issue will be the destination country's import regulations in general and RF equipment in particular.

I don't believe the 256 bit encryption used by the Lectro 700, AKG digital or Zaxcom is considered munitions as it's a pretty standard algorithm.

Missed this by a week... OK, more than a week.

Actually there are export restrictions on encrypted wireless units. Our 700 Series, by the way, is 128 bit (as are the other systems on your list, I believe). We and our dealers must not ship these products into certain countries.

That said, we haven't made any 700 Series equipment in the affected frequency range for quite some time. There may be extant systems, though, so the concern is still valid.
In theory, theory and practice should be the same. In practice, they are not.

Henry Cohen

• Westchester Co., NY, USA
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2011, 08:23:38 PM »

Actually there are export restrictions on encrypted wireless units. Our 700 Series, by the way, is 128 bit (as are the other systems on your list, I believe). We and our dealers must not ship these products into certain countries.
Thank you for the correction Karl.
Henry Cohen

CP Communications    www.cpcomms.com
Radio Active Designs   www.radioactiverf.com

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2011, 08:23:38 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 21 queries.