ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: QSC PL6.0II- How power hungry?  (Read 5421 times)

Justin Staszewski

QSC PL6.0II- How power hungry?
« on: September 14, 2011, 04:10:46 AM »

QSC PL6.0II-  How power hungry?

Looking into picking one of these up for sub duty to replace two 3402's.  My question is, can I run this thing on a 20 AMP circuit without issues or am I gonna need to use a distro every time?  I would imagine that it would work on 20A, but I would be crossing my fingers every time and saying a load of hail marys.  Anyone have any experience with this piece in less than optimum situations?

Thanks!

Justin

boburtz

• SR Forums
  • San Francisco Bay Area
    • SoundWizard Productions
Re: QSC PL6.0II- How power hungry?
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2011, 12:00:58 PM »

Looking into picking one of these up for sub duty to replace two 3402's.  My question is, can I run this thing on a 20 AMP circuit without issues or am I gonna need to use a distro every time?  I would imagine that it would work on 20A, but I would be crossing my fingers every time and saying a load of hail marys.  Anyone have any experience with this piece in less than optimum situations?

Thanks!

Justin

What are the subs you're using? If you are running it at 8 ohms, I can't imagine you'll have a problem. I've done shows with a single 20a running my house amp rack, which was  three plx3602 and a PL6.0II and have not tripped a breaker. Many times. All amps running 4 ohms stereo. They are actually quite efficient amps.

Justin Staszewski

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2011, 06:36:17 PM »

What are the subs you're using? If you are running it at 8 ohms, I can't imagine you'll have a problem. I've done shows with a single 20a running my house amp rack, which was  three plx3602 and a PL6.0II and have not tripped a breaker. Many times. All amps running 4 ohms stereo. They are actually quite efficient amps.

Running 2 EV Qrx218.  I want to be able to run 4 but I will only do so when I have a distro.  So it'll be a 4 ohm load in stereo.  Thanks for your input!

John Livings

• Los Angeles, California
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2011, 06:56:44 PM »

Hi Justin,

We run 2 Peavey QW-218s off one PL6.0II, we also run 2 Peavey QW-4s (Full Range) off another.

Made an adapter to go from the factory installed 30 amp plug to a 15 Amp Edison plug running on a 20 Amp Circuit.

No Issues, The Amps draw less than 10 Amps with Peaks of less than 15 Amps Using our program material (Pre recorded music and Vocals) this at 8 Ohms. YMMV.

It would be hard to beat the PL6.0.II for around $1250.00 dollars used.

Just my thoughts.

Regards,  John

Aaron Talley

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2011, 12:57:58 AM »

Hey Justin,

We do this all the time with no worries.

Get one, you won't regret it.

Talley

Martin Primus

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2011, 01:40:25 PM »

Hey Justin,

We do this all the time with no worries.

Get one, you won't regret it.

Talley

Ditto what this and what everyone else said.  We have a 6.0 PFC that we run off a 20 amp circuit when we can't use our distro, usually into 4 ohm loads, sometimes 2.66, and have never had the slightest of problems. 

Justin Staszewski

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2011, 02:30:07 AM »

Ditto what this and what everyone else said.  We have a 6.0 PFC that we run off a 20 amp circuit when we can't use our distro, usually into 4 ohm loads, sometimes 2.66, and have never had the slightest of problems.

Thanks for all the great advice, fellas!  Time to hit the Marketplace and find my new PL6.0!

Justin

Stu McDoniel

• Central Wisconsin...USA
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2011, 10:20:41 AM »

Thanks!

Justin
According to the manual it says Momentary, peak current from the AC line can easily exceed 50 Amps per amplifier.  While this is well within the limits of the 30 Amp continuous circuits, additional amplifiers could over one circuit
branch. ...
QSC Audio strongly discourages ANY changes in the AC power connections.  Use only NEMA L5030, 120V, 30 AMP twist lock connectors or the 240V cordset
supplied with the amplifier. All supply circuits and AC power receptacles should be rated for voltage and current printed on the serial number plate...
GADS MAN..this thing is a power soaking beast!!

John Livings

• Los Angeles, California
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2011, 01:24:54 PM »

Thanks for all the great advice, fellas!  Time to hit the Marketplace and find my new PL6.0!

Justin

Hi Justin,

My comments referred to the "PL6.0.II" NOT the "PL6.0".

I feel you should look for the "PL6.0.II" as it has an improved power supply vs. the "PL6.0".

Just my thoughts, Please do your research.

Regards,  John

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2011, 01:24:54 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 24 queries.