ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Digico SD7 Rates  (Read 17190 times)

Steven Barnes

• SBTS Inc.
Digico SD7 Rates
« on: January 31, 2011, 10:43:54 PM »

Hey guys
I am looking to rent a couple SD7's for a show coming up in a couple weeks. Got a quote from the only company in LA that could source them for me and i'm looking around 5K per week per console with a 96ch config. Does this sound about right?

On a second note anyone mixing on these consoles? How do you like them? I have mixed a couple shows on a D5 and never been a huge fan, just wondering how this console compares (I know it is a newer generation and has a lot more capability). Might be looking into this console for a tour I am working on that needs more that 24 mixes in monitor world.

Thanks
Steven
Audio Engineering, Design, Consulting
SBTS Inc.
www.sbts-inc.com

Steven Barnes

• SBTS Inc.
Re: Digico SD7 Rates
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2011, 10:50:01 PM »

Also how compatible are the files between SD7, SD8, and SD9 consoles? Can I use a show file from one on another like with digidesign stuff, or is it like yamaha stuff where nothing is compatible (except with work around software).
Audio Engineering, Design, Consulting
SBTS Inc.
www.sbts-inc.com

Adam Robinson

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2011, 12:56:50 AM »

I don't have rates on me but they're not cheap consoles.  Expect it to be in line with the XL8 and Studer Vista 5SR. 

The mixing "thought process" on the SD consoles is quite similar to the D series consoles, except there's a decent amount of updating that's gone on.  The SD7 doesn't suck, but let's be honest, none of the consoles in this price bracket suck.  That being said, the SD7 is my first choice digital console followed by the Studer.

How many inputs do you really need?  Remember that at a lower price point, the SD8 will mix 60 mono or 60 stereo channels in any combination and aux sends can be 24 mono or stereo in any combination making it a possibly 120 in, 48 out console that sounds every bit as good as an SD7.  The SD9 is 40 mono or stereo inputs and 16 mono or stereo aux sends.  (Other considerations for high input/output count are the PM1D at 96x48 and Soundcraft Vi6 at 96x32)

Files do not transfer between the 7, 8, or 9, but there are a few workarounds.

Gareth Marsh

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2011, 02:22:21 AM »

I really like the SD7 - I had spent quite a bit of time on the D1/D5, and I found it quite a step up. I found it a bit quicker to get around and personally I was much happier with banks of 12 channels instead of 8.

You also get a bit more processing grunt on outputs so you don't have to mess with processing channels as much. The dynamic EQ is also a great little feature.

I believe U2 are out with SD7's at the moment. If you look on the digico website they have a gallery on there with quite a few name acts featured.

HTH

Gareth

Seiyua Tang

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2011, 05:32:07 AM »

The SD7 is an absolute pleasure to mix on, i am very fortunate to have it as a house desk.  Aside from it being very easy for anybody to program, the operation is simply a joy.  Every guest engineer so far has had nothing but great things to say about it.  It is a very smooth sounding console with parametric EQ's that you don't have to make drastic cuts on to hear a difference.  We just did a show with 90 inputs + 24 outs and the thing didn't even break a sweat.  The surface looks as amazing as it sounds!  You are going to enjoy mixing on this Digico!

Seiyua Tang
Valley Performing Arts Center
Los Angeles, California

Owen Orzack

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2011, 09:22:33 AM »

Hey guys
I am looking to rent a couple SD7's for a show coming up in a couple weeks. Got a quote from the only company in LA that could source them for me and i'm looking around 5K per week per console with a 96ch config. Does this sound about right?

For the 96ch version, yes it does.

Adam Robinson

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2011, 06:13:07 PM »

and Owen knows... he's got a couple. 

(Maybe he'll switch the Profile we're about to take out of his shop for one haha)

Airton Pereira

• The Knutz
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2011, 09:15:40 PM »

I believe U2 are out with SD7's at the moment. If you look on the digico website they have a gallery on there with quite a few name acts featured.

HTH

Gareth

That´s true. They´re using 4 SD7 since 2005. Two on FOH and two on monitors, plus D-Show Profile, Venice...
Drummer and Sound Engineer for The Knutz.

David Sumrall

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2011, 10:25:04 PM »

We have 3 of these in our new building, FOH, Mons, and Bcast coming off of 3 racks.

Love them!

Each one is set up a little differently based on the area of use and the engineer that set it up.

I set my desk up for the live Bcast feed as 132 inputs, 32 control groups,  14 stereo groups, 24x32 matrix, 12 stereo auxes for fx, 12 mono auxes for feeds. I have some buffer set up in each area so I don't have to rebuild my config too often.

Love the flexibilty of the fader layout. I played with a couple layout variations when i first got it going but settled on...

Left side

Layer 1 band with banks by section drums, guitars, keys, perc etc
Layer 2 Matrixes and Aux returns
Layer 3 Control groups- makes assignment easier and faster with more viewable info, with some room to grow

Right side

Layer one- Vox, Speak, Audience mics, Playback, Verb returns
Layer 2- Groups with some room to grow
Layer 3- empty now

My top layer of control groups is...

1. Kik, Bass,
2. Drums
3. Guitars
4. Piano
5. Keys
6. Perc
7. Playback
8. Vox FX
10. Vox
11. Lav
12. MC Handheld

This set up makes it work pretty fast for what we do.

Love the ability to route anything to a matrix easily- input from preamp, direct out, aux, group, isolator etc.

The built in fx work great too. I'm doing a couple verbs/plates on vox, couple pitch fx on vox, couple delays on vox, some drum verbs and plate, band verb etc.

Love the aux to master feature! It brings the aux sends to the control group faders. I like doing fx in layers and this makes it real nice when using faders to dial in or out the verb fun.

It sounds great and the built in dynamic processing and eq works great. Love the dynamic eqs. Really love the multiband dynamics.

If you are familiar with the D5 then you should pick it up pretty fast.

I cant speak much on the rental side but if you can get one you will enjoy big time!

Good luck!

David

David Sumrall
Live Production Manager/Adjunct Instructor
Audio Engineer- Broadcast, Monitors, and FOH
Gateway Church/The King's University
Southlake Texas
www.SchoolofTechArts.com

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2011, 10:25:04 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.047 seconds with 25 queries.