ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Soldering iron  (Read 13798 times)

Brad Harris

Re: Soldering iron
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2011, 05:34:04 PM »

If you're looking for something small for the toolbox for small field repairs, then most of those 25-35w jobbies will do the trick.

If your looking for more usage out of it (more than a xlr a month). Do yourself a favour and look at a station. The one you linked i find too limited, and i'd look at the wes51. Changable tips, removable iron, good temperature control and fairly short heatup times. Plus a large assortment of tips are available.  Runs for $65-100 depending on where you look.

Jay Barracato

• Solomons, MD
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2011, 09:02:55 AM »

If you're looking for something small for the toolbox for small field repairs, then most of those 25-35w jobbies will do the trick.

That is what is in my toolbox, but thinking back I can't think of any single time where I actually made a "field repair".
Jay Barracato

[email protected]

• Traveling Monkey Sound
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2011, 01:29:16 PM »

Alctron DB-4C  http://www.alctron-audio.com/encpShow.asp?id=1869 Is wide variety continuity tester, with leds for each in and out pin, which also does all possible adapter cables (like NL8 to rca, no cam lock to headphone though).
Anything that makes a noise is satisfactory to a crowd.

~Charles Dickens

John O'Brien

• A dude.
    • Things That I Think.
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2011, 01:59:19 PM »

thanks for the info on irons. i have my eye on some weller and hakko options for the future. it seems to be a good investment for sure. 10 dollars for the weller hand held mad me happy.

i ended up going with this for a cable tester. had good reviews, and was cheap at the same time. while it doesn't have LED for displaying continuity, i don't mind sweeping a knob to figure out what's working.
I'm here because I want to learn from YOU! There is so much to know, and I have a small brain. Don't hold it against me.

http://redguitarfreak.posterous.com/

[email protected]

• Traveling Monkey Sound
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2011, 02:21:34 PM »

That's the exact same thing as the alctron, but this one has a usb plug instead of the 1/8 plug.
Anything that makes a noise is satisfactory to a crowd.

~Charles Dickens

John O'Brien

• A dude.
    • Things That I Think.
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2011, 08:14:46 PM »

That's the exact same thing as the alctron, but this one has a usb plug instead of the 1/8 plug.

I saw that. Both of them seem to be rugged and ok to throw in a gig bag and head out on the road. 30 dollars doesn't hurt.
I'm here because I want to learn from YOU! There is so much to know, and I have a small brain. Don't hold it against me.

http://redguitarfreak.posterous.com/

Travis_Valois

« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2011, 06:19:08 PM »

I have been using Weller for quite some time and for the most part, have had no problems.  I believe the first model I owned was similar to your first choice, a consumer use type.  although, it was functional, it wasn't ideal and I soon outgrew it's usefulnes. 

I opted for the WP35, which is comfortable to use, offers plenty of heat for a wide-range of applications and fits nicely into the tool box that I carry for gigs.

If I were doing more bench-work, than repairs on-the-go, I'd probably splurge for one of the more versatile workstation models.

R~
I carry a W60P in my toolbag for field use.

http://www.amazon.com/Weller-W60P-60Watts-Controlled-Soldering/dp/B0006OBF0Y/ref=sr_1_50?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1296774989&sr=1-50

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2011, 06:19:08 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 23 queries.