ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Earthworks Kick Pad with SM91  (Read 11127 times)

Steven Leonard

• Sands Productions
Earthworks Kick Pad with SM91
« on: September 13, 2011, 01:46:42 AM »

Anyone every tried this combo (Earthworks Kick Pad + Shure SM91)? I just got picked up a kickpad from a friend that wasnt using it. I am anxious to try it on the 91.

Anyone used this before? Experience?

Once I try it I will write some reviews on thoughts!

Steven

Jordan Wolf

Re: Earthworks Kick Pad with SM91
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2011, 08:48:08 AM »

Please do!
Jordan Wolf
<><

"We want our sound to go into the soul of the audience, and see if it can awaken some little thing in their minds... Cause there are so many sleeping people." - Jimi Hendrix

Steven Leonard

• Sands Productions
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2011, 09:46:36 PM »

Please do!

Hey Jordan! Tried this combination out this weekend! It was pretty nice! Definitely only a starting point though for EQ. I still had to dial in a good amount of cut in the mids to get the Kick Drum to sound like what I think a kick should sound like!

Hope this helps!

Steven Leonard

• Sands Productions
Re: Earthworks Kick Pad with SM91 UPDATE
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2011, 12:27:56 PM »

Hey Jordan! Tried this combination out this weekend! It was pretty nice! Definitely only a starting point though for EQ. I still had to dial in a good amount of cut in the mids to get the Kick Drum to sound like what I think a kick should sound like!

Hope this helps!

UPDATE: Got to try this out with a 22" kick this weekend and with a little eq the sound was the best kick drum sound I've ever put through my pa!  Loved it! Prob not for all situations but when it is right its right! Try it!

Mark Long

• Dayton, OH
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2011, 01:38:27 PM »

UPDATE: Got to try this out with a 22" kick this weekend and with a little eq the sound was the best kick drum sound I've ever put through my pa!  Loved it! Prob not for all situations but when it is right its right! Try it!
Hi Steve,

Are you using the SM91 alone or pairing it with another mic on the reso head? Are just sitting on a pillow, blanket? How far from the head?

Steven Leonard

• Sands Productions
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2011, 02:52:19 AM »

Hi Steve,

Are you using the SM91 alone or pairing it with another mic on the reso head? Are just sitting on a pillow, blanket? How far from the head?

Hey Mark! I was just using the SM91 alone inside the drum, on the pillow, about halfway in, with the cable jack pointing towards the resonant head.

I have used the SM91 in combo with others, but for the purpose of this experiment I wanted to see if I could get a good kick drum from a single SM91 + Kickpad. I loved it! On bigger Kick drums especially!

John Chiara

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2011, 12:04:44 PM »

Hope this helps!

Is that the correct preamp for the 91? I thought I had to replace one and was told the round inline versions sound different that the box versions.

Steven Leonard

• Sands Productions
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2011, 11:52:59 PM »

Is that the correct preamp for the 91? I thought I had to replace one and was told the round inline versions sound different that the box versions.

Hey John! I believe the box preamp is the original design before they switched to the inline ones. I got my SM91 used of craigslist so I dont know for sure. Now of course the new Beta 91a mics have no need for a inline preamp or box because it is built in! Better Design.

What I don't like the box is that the switch for Low Cut is very easily accidentally engaged!
(Note: Kick Drum does not sound good with a 10db Cut at 60hz!) haha

It would not surprise me if the inline preamps sounded different then the box ones.

Hope that helps!

Steven

Ryan O John

• ryanojohn.com
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2012, 07:53:42 PM »

Anyone every tried this combo (Earthworks Kick Pad + Shure SM91)? I just got picked up a kickpad from a friend that wasnt using it. I am anxious to try it on the 91.

Anyone used this before? Experience?

Steven

I've actually been using this for a while now.  For some kicks (22s and some 20s) it's the best natural kick sound i've heard right off the bat, that said, it still takes some tweaking (tends to be a bit boomy around 160-180 to me), but it's way closer than any one mic has ever been for me. 
Ryan John
Product Manager | Avid Live Sound

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2012, 07:53:42 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.027 seconds with 25 queries.