ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Pulling Multicore/Snake Cable  (Read 6338 times)

Steven Tye

• Mackay Baptist Church
Pulling Multicore/Snake Cable
« on: September 12, 2011, 12:07:36 AM »

Hi. Our new church is half built and I need to order some of the cabling for stage. There are two empty 10cm conduits between the control desk and under stage (20m away). We need 32 sends and 8 returns. My question is - can such a large multicore be pulled through the conduit? The cable itself is fine - it is the tail connectors that take up all the room, which presumably could be folded over and taped in groups of 8 or so at different lengths to fit in the cable - or would you suggest two smaller multicores instead?

We will have 5 stage pockets on stage which will be patched to the multicore under the stage. Amps in stage also.

The other alternative is to hardwire directly from the stage through the conduit to the desk and terminate there rather than on stage - which I am not keen on...  ;)

Cheers
Steve

Phil LaDue

• Central and Metro NY
    • Philip LaDue
Re: Pulling Multicore/Snake Cable
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2011, 12:14:27 AM »

Hi. Our new church is half built and I need to order some of the cabling for stage. There are two empty 10cm conduits between the control desk and under stage (20m away). We need 32 sends and 8 returns. My question is - can such a large multicore be pulled through the conduit? The cable itself is fine - it is the tail connectors that take up all the room, which presumably could be folded over and taped in groups of 8 or so at different lengths to fit in the cable - or would you suggest two smaller multicores instead?

We will have 5 stage pockets on stage which will be patched to the multicore under the stage. Amps in stage also.

The other alternative is to hardwire directly from the stage through the conduit to the desk and terminate there rather than on stage - which I am not keen on...  ;)
That's a rather small conduit for multi core cable.
If the runs are straight you might be able to do it assuming the installer is good and plenty of lube is used.

Look into a digital snake, two runs of Cat6 and you're done.
Philip LaDue
Freelance Stagehand, A2, commercial driver, rigger, staging mechanic
M: 1-646-397-5028

Brad Weber

• Marietta, GA
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2011, 05:50:53 AM »

That's a rather small conduit for multi core cable.
If the runs are straight you might be able to do it assuming the installer is good and plenty of lube is used.
That's two roughly 4" conduits and a 65' run, running cabling for a 32x8 snake should be no problem even with just one of the pipes.

It sounds like you plan on doing a lot under the stage, just how large and accessible is the area under the stage?

If you used a single large snake, how do you plan to get from that to the individual stage boxes?  And would you maybe want to run a larger snake than you actually need to provide some expansion capability and/or redundancy?

Frank DeWitt

• LBP DI Box
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2011, 11:57:33 AM »

Someone posted instructions for this and I saved them.  Fasten  a fish line to the plug end of a snake back at the strain relief, then fasten each plug to the line in a neat row.   Remember, these snakes usually have a long fanout, so there is enough individual cable to get them all lined up one behind the other.

Next step, wrap all the plugs in a row and the fish line with clear shrink wrap.  Then tape it with electrical tape.  Now you have a bundle that is no larger in diameter then the cable behind it  and you can pull it.

For the 40 pr you need I would go with either 50 or 2 25 pr pulled together at the same time. Use lube.

I never pull any wire at my church without also pulling one or two CAT5 cables.  They are cheep and incredibly useful.
You also want to pull another pull string

Frank

Not to Code

Steven Tye

• Mackay Baptist Church
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2011, 07:25:57 PM »

Hi Everyone

Brad - yes we will be making 5 pockets within the stage which will be wired under stage to the multicore. The stage itself is about 60cm high but will have removable panels for future wiring, including one over the end of the underground conduits where the multicore will be. Yes - we are planning 28 connectors on stage, but will run a 32 channel multicore. In the future we may use a digital patch bay rather than a multicore (with a different mixer), but for now we will stick with the multicore.

Frank - awesome help thanks. Some multicores have an in-built wire mesh just before the fanout for strain relief with a small piece of wire for attaching the draw wire. Ours probably wont have that but was thinking of improvising with a coat hanger :)

Steven Tye

• Mackay Baptist Church
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2011, 07:36:55 PM »

Oh - can you suggest a suitable lubricant?

Frank DeWitt

• LBP DI Box
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2011, 08:53:54 AM »

Oh - can you suggest a suitable lubricant?

Try this,  http://ideal.sdafiles.com/

or go to a electrical supply house and ask the counter person.  They are made just for electrical work because you can't wash them off and you don't want something eating the wires over the years.
Not to Code

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2011, 08:53:54 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 24 queries.