ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Manfrotto Black Magic stands  (Read 10019 times)

Frederik Rosenkjær

Manfrotto Black Magic stands
« on: January 31, 2011, 07:32:45 PM »

Ever since seeing this stand at an expo last spring, I've been very interested in love. If you haven't seen this - you might not know what you're missing out on. I certainly hadn't projected such sexiness as a possibility for wind-up stands until I saw it - but it's better in person than pictures!

I'm planning on getting a pair to hoist 2x DSL SH46 pr. side and some lighting in between, but so far I've only had 2 hands-on experiences and only in non-combat situations (in a warehouse with nothing concrete to do). So I'm curious if anyone on here has any real gigging experience with them?

The low-down for those who don't know is that these stands will take 200 kgs (440 lbs) up to 5.5 meters (just under 20') while weighing 80 kgs (176 pounds) themselves. They have a tiny footprint when stored and the legs deploy extremely fast and easy. The minimum/loading height is only 165 cm (5'5").

Apart from all this, what has me going is just the way it seems built. It makes all the usual stands look like crude home made stuff. The tolerances seem really tight and the chain-drive (instead of wire) makes the motion (in my limited experience) extremely smooth and without the usual heart-stopping moments where the load suddenly drops and inch or two when the wire settles on the barrel or elsewhere in the system.

So anyone has any real experience?
Affiliations: Danley Sound Labs, Yamaha (MI)

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
Re: Manfrotto Black Magic stands
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2011, 07:45:41 PM »

Ever since seeing this stand at an expo last spring, I've been very interested in love. If you haven't seen this - you might not know what you're missing out on. I certainly hadn't projected such sexiness as a possibility for wind-up stands until I saw it - but it's better in person than pictures!

No experience with these particular stands, but other Manfrotto stands I've used have in fact been very well built. At $4200 list price, I don't know how much experience I'm likely to get with them.

Mac

Chad Costanzo

• Temecula, CA (San Diego, Riverside Area)
    • Pyxis Industries, Inc
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2011, 11:58:40 PM »

Look at some Applied L-16 lift and if you use the pins correctly I have never had one move once in place and cost alot less than those you posted
Chad Costanzo
Pyxis Industries, inc
www.PyxisIndustries.com
888-PYXISAV
Murrieta, CA

Full Service Audio, Lighting, Rigging, & Video Production Services

Dealer: EV, KT, Elation, Shure, AT, Da-Lite, Furman, Tascam, Midas, Road Ready, American DJ, Global Truss, CBI, Furman, Roland RSS, and More

Giacomo Galassi

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2011, 07:53:50 AM »

In Italy, we all use Manfrotto as a professional standard.
There are no rental companies without a Manfrotto stand on truck. Lightweight, easy to use, durable, affordable (in italy.. i don't know how much a stand costs in US)
Giacomo Galassi

Frederik Rosenkjær

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2011, 09:00:42 AM »

Look at some Applied L-16 lift and if you use the pins correctly I have never had one move once in place and cost alot less than those you posted

Problem is they are over 2m tall minimum and they don't go as high. And no "once in place" it's not a problem, but while raising the load I find wire-driven stands (which means just about any stand on the market) always tend to sqeak, crackle and give in a disturbing way. This is not a deal breaker, but it's very much a question of seeing this stand in person. I would never have thought a stand could be that nice, so I'm quite hooked on that one, but, for obvious reasons, it's hard to find anyone with actual gigging experience with them

My situation is somewhat special, I guess: Size is my number one priority outside of quality and certain features. I'm trying to cram as much as possible into as little a van as possible and staying within the limits of a one-man operation.

Ben Lawrence

• VT AUDIO VISUAL
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2011, 12:18:21 PM »

A one man operation with 4000$ stands does indeed sound very special. You must be doing something right.

Bonnie Lackey

• Bonnie Lackey's Website
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2011, 10:03:46 AM »

Best stand ever made - Atlas SS70X Tripod.  Sadly hasn't been made in probably 20 years.
Bonnie Lackey
Proline / Avidex AV
Seattle
In the Production Industry since 1979

Frederik Rosenkjær

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2011, 10:20:52 AM »

Best stand ever made - Atlas SS70X Tripod.  Sadly hasn't been made in probably 20 years.

Erh... That made me smile. I'm sorry, but I'm having trouble seeing the relevance  :)

Besides having been out of production for 20 years that stand, as far as I can find on the internets, weighs 23lbs and goes up to 96"....the stands I'm talking about weigh 176lbs and will take 440lbs up to 216"... ???

Frederik Rosenkjær

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2011, 09:45:51 AM »

Well, pulled the trigger on a pair. Got them last week and had my first gig with them yesterday.

So far, they are every bit as nice as I hoped!

The super low loading height is definitely a life saver for me, as I'm loading a Danley Sound Labs SH46 cab on each stand in a custom made bracket. This is doable by two men but it wouldn't be if they were just a few inches taller.

Anyone looking for a compact stand in this class/size and wanting to pay extra to get the really good stuff must seek one of these out and see for yourself! There are crank stands and then there is the Black Magic stand.

Matteus Köza

• SWEDEN - Västerås
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2012, 02:40:54 PM »

that stand takes alot of place on the floor  :-\ ..
and is one sh46 enough for you on each side for covering the crowd = 40 horizont?

Well, pulled the trigger on a pair. Got them last week and had my first gig with them yesterday.

So far, they are every bit as nice as I hoped!

The super low loading height is definitely a life saver for me, as I'm loading a Danley Sound Labs SH46 cab on each stand in a custom made bracket. This is doable by two men but it wouldn't be if they were just a few inches taller.

Anyone looking for a compact stand in this class/size and wanting to pay extra to get the really good stuff must seek one of these out and see for yourself! There are crank stands and then there is the Black Magic stand.

KORG PA2x & KORG PA3x PRO
RCF TT25a

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2012, 02:40:54 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.053 seconds with 26 queries.