Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > The Basement

Re: Guitar amp humming

(1/5) > >>

DavidTurner:
I suspect this problem begins in the single coil pick-up on the steel guitar. Can someone point me to a forum that might help me find a better way to shield said pickup?

Doug Fowler:

--- Quote from: DavidTurner on January 30, 2011, 12:36:44 PM ---I suspect this problem begins in the single coil pick-up on the steel guitar. Can someone point me to a forum that might help me find a better way to shield said pickup?

--- End quote ---

Try the Guitars forum here:

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/

DavidTurner:
Thanks!

Ivan Beaver:

--- Quote from: DavidTurner on January 30, 2011, 09:20:19 AM ---I have a band member who uses a vintage Fender Dual Showman for his steel guitar. On a number of occasions during last year's tour we had problems with induced hum. The problem seems to be venue specific, that is, some days, totally quiet - other days, wall to wall hum. Some days it would seem to be induced by the dimmers - relative to number of lights up and particularly noticeable when lighting scenes were cross faded.

Signal chain is: Steel guitar, volume pedal, EQ pedal, Delay pedal, 20' guitar cable, amplifier. Do any of you have any suggestions as to how we can better shield this set-up to prevent this induced hum?

Thanks

--- End quote ---
A couple of suggestions.

First-use the shortest possible cables.

Next use a directional cable.  NO NO not those expensive "Hi-Fi" cable, but rather a homemade one.

Get 2 good quality 1/4" plugs.  Next use a well shielded mic cable.

On the AMPLIFIER end hook the tip of the plug to the "hot" wire in the mic cable.  It can be whatever color you want-as long as you remember it.  Usually red or white.  Hook the other wire AND the shield to the ground of the 1/4" plug.

On the INSTRUMENT end hook the hot wire to the tip of the plug.  Hook the other wire to the ground of the plug.  DO NOT hook up the shield wire.  Make sure it is disconnected and cannot touchthe ground wire.

DavidTurner:
In other words, telescoping shield...float the pedal board
--- Quote from: Ivan Beaver on January 30, 2011, 05:24:46 PM ---A couple of suggestions.

First-use the shortest possible cables.

Next use a directional cable.  NO NO not those expensive "Hi-Fi" cable, but rather a homemade one.

Get 2 good quality 1/4" plugs.  Next use a well shielded mic cable.

On the AMPLIFIER end hook the tip of the plug to the "hot" wire in the mic cable.  It can be whatever color you want-as long as you remember it.  Usually red or white.  Hook the other wire AND the shield to the ground of the 1/4" plug.

On the INSTRUMENT end hook the hot wire to the tip of the plug.  Hook the other wire to the ground of the plug.  DO NOT hook up the shield wire.  Make sure it is disconnected and cannot touchthe ground wire.

--- End quote ---
. Thanks. That guitar forum wasn't much help.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version