ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Suggestion for replacement subs....  (Read 7533 times)

Justin Emmert

Suggestion for replacement subs....
« on: September 09, 2011, 12:41:50 PM »

Hi all.  New here.  I was given two EV Dual Force sub cabinets I will be using for live band PA (the one with two 15's).  Two of the subs in one cab are damaged (cone).  I just want to replace them.  Any suggestions on good replacements.  Here is a link to a picture of the cabs and the sub specs.  Any help would be appreciated.  (Yes, I know the cabs are not the greatest, but they were free and are small and portable.)  I'm no pro, just want something comparable with decent quality to stick in there.  Thanks, Justin

http://electro-voice.com/sitefiles/downloads/Force_Bro.pdf

Doug Fowler

• Member since May 1995, 2nd poster on original LAB, moderator on and off since 1997, now running TurboMOD v1.826
  • Administrator
  • Saint Louis, MO USA
Re: Suggestion for replacement subs....
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2011, 12:45:19 PM »

Read the rules, fix your display name.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Brawndo, the Thirst Mutilator. 
It's got electrolytes. 
It's got what plants crave.

Paul G. OBrien

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2011, 09:31:14 PM »

Any suggestions on good replacements.  Here is a link to a picture of the cabs and the sub specs.  http://electro-voice.com/sitefiles/downloads/Force_Bro.pdf

The link offers little help identifying the actual drivers used in these boxes and that's what is needed to offer a direct replacement suggestion, so is there anything identifying the drivers you have? Whatever they are they can't be much to look at since both together only produce a 300w power handling, you'll likely have a hard time finding a single driver with such a low rating now.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2011, 12:08:42 PM »

Hi all.  New here.  I was given two EV Dual Force sub cabinets I will be using for live band PA (the one with two 15's).  Two of the subs in one cab are damaged (cone).  I just want to replace them.  Any suggestions on good replacements.  Here is a link to a picture of the cabs and the sub specs.  Any help would be appreciated.  (Yes, I know the cabs are not the greatest, but they were free and are small and portable.)  I'm no pro, just want something comparable with decent quality to stick in there.  Thanks, Justin

What did EV suggest when you contacted them?
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Justin Emmert

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2011, 08:28:04 AM »

What did EV suggest when you contacted them?

Hi Tim, thanks for the feedback.  I did call EV, and their CSR told me they don't make subs anymore, so they could not provide a replacement.  He said he could put me through to service to see if they had any old ones laying around or I could go to parts-express and find a replacement sub there. 

I've looked at parts-express and there are subs that pretty well match the power handling and impedance of these subs, but I do have enough headroom on my amp to upgrade to higher power subs.  I figure I can buy one of the cheaper 15's like the Delta 15, or go for something a little more sturdy and invest in some Peavey Black Widow's.  I'm just looking for some honest, educated input before I do the deal. 

Paul G. OBrien

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2011, 10:15:11 PM »

I'm just looking for some honest, educated input before I do the deal.

That's what we're trying to do here but our hands are tied unless you can come up with some additional info on the drivers besides power handling and impedance rating.. which by themselves are nearly irrelevant. I don't know for certain but these boxes look like a bandpass design and if so you can't just throw any driver in there and get good results, it will take a driver that is designed to perform well with those chamber volumes. Overall this could end up being a hugh crap shoot if you can't get any more into on these boxes or drivers so what I'd suggest is you either scrap them or maybe convert them to a standard reflex(ported) enclosure(if the converted box has a suitable internal volume for a 15" driver.. about 4-5 cu ft) and install a single modern subwoofer driver like a PV Lowrider or Eminence Definimax, that should produce the results you're looking for with the bonus of only having to buy 2 drivers to make a pair of matching cabs.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2011, 10:17:58 PM by Paul G. OBrien »

Tracy Garner

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2011, 10:40:18 PM »

I would go ahead and look for a replacement driver to put in the cabinets. The original Force 15 were pretty low wattage to begin with. I actually have two woofers in my garage marked "FORCE" on the dustcap and they are working Electrovoice woofers.

Brad Weber

• Marietta, GA
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2011, 07:48:36 AM »

duane massey

« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2011, 11:08:52 AM »

Where are you located?
Duane Massey
Technician, musician, stubborn old guy
Houston, Texas

Justin Emmert

« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2011, 08:56:03 AM »

Where are you located?

I'm in Martinsville, VA Duane. 

Thanks for trying to help out guys.  I found a guy who has the same boxes and swears by the Dayton PA woofers.  Since they are fairly low budge woofers, I ordered a pair.  They have a 45 day return policy, so if they don't work well for me, I'll return them. 

I'll let you all know how they work.  Thanks,

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2011, 08:56:03 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 25 queries.