ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: LS9 32 with External DAC for Stereo Out  (Read 1905 times)

Justin Myers

LS9 32 with External DAC for Stereo Out
« on: September 08, 2011, 04:44:08 AM »

Hello

Has anyone tried using an external DAC with the LS9? If so, was there an improvement in the sound?

I was considering using the RME ADI-2 or the Mytek Stereo96 as the converter via the LS9 spidf or Adat.
The System would be LS9>Converter>Klark Technik DN360>Itech HD>Versarray 112 MKII.

Thanks

Justin

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
Re: LS9 32 with External DAC for Stereo Out
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2011, 09:08:22 AM »

Hello

Has anyone tried using an external DAC with the LS9? If so, was there an improvement in the sound?

I was considering using the RME ADI-2 or the Mytek Stereo96 as the converter via the LS9 spidf or Adat.
The System would be LS9>Converter>Klark Technik DN360>Itech HD>Versarray 112 MKII.

Thanks

Justin

Skip the analog conversion and go AES digital from the console to the I-Techs.  Use the EQ in the desk and blow off the DN360.  I think you'll like the results.

In our FOH racks that go with with digital consoles, we provide a DN360 and a pair of dbx 160 as an option for band engineers.  Most of the time they are in "bypass" as the BEs want to use the desk's processing.  YMMV.

Have fun, good luck.

Tim Mc
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Justin Myers

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2011, 09:22:50 AM »

Gday Tim,

I know what your saying. I have an AES card but I use the outboard EQ to free up internal rackspace. I often need more than 4 sends and 3 x fx plus stereo FOH. I dont like the flex 15 option especially when I have other sound guys coming through on a tour.
Therefore I want to achieve the best possible analogue output from the desk. I'm wondering if a dedicated DAC will provide a noticable increase in sound quality especially with the ribbon horns high lighting any harshness.

Justin

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2011, 09:22:50 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 22 queries.