ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bright Vocals  (Read 9478 times)

Rusty Irby

Bright Vocals
« on: September 07, 2011, 07:33:32 PM »

Alot of you are more experienced with different microphones. I am looking to purchase a couple of new mics. Currently I have SM58's, e835's, OM5's. What mics do you guys use for bright vocals on loud, and quiet stages?

Pat Latimer

• Charleston, S.C.
Re: Bright Vocals
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2011, 08:47:38 PM »

Rusty, maybe give the Beta 58 a shot.

It may have that icepick effect you're looking for. ;)

Pat

Jordan Wolf

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2011, 08:57:47 PM »

Alot of you are more experienced with different microphones. I am looking to purchase a couple of new mics. Currently I have SM58's, e835's, OM5's. What mics do you guys use for bright vocals on loud, and quiet stages?
So, you are looking for a microphone that will help tame bright vocals instead of using EQ, etc. to control the harshness? 

How about a ribbon mic? (being a little facetious ;D)

In a similar vein to Pat's tounge-in-cheek comment, I'd recommend you stay away from the Shure Beta series...they are harsh-sounding to my ears.  You might want to look into a Heil PR35 or an AKG C-535.

Also, do you consistently notice the harshness in your own rig or also when you use others'?  Have you had your hearing checked lately?

(Just covering all the bases)
Jordan Wolf
<><

"We want our sound to go into the soul of the audience, and see if it can awaken some little thing in their minds... Cause there are so many sleeping people." - Jimi Hendrix

Pat Latimer

• Charleston, S.C.
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2011, 09:21:36 PM »

So, you are looking for a microphone that will help tame bright vocals instead of using EQ, etc. to control the harshness? 

In a similar vein to Pat's tounge-in-cheek comment, I'd recommend you stay away from the Shure Beta series...they are harsh-sounding to my ears.  You might want to look into a Heil PR35 or an AKG C-535.

Also, do you consistently notice the harshness in your own rig or also when you use others'?  Have you had your hearing checked lately?

My comment was definitely tongue-in-cheek.

Try out some of the Sennheiser e935 or e945. Those are great mics for that application, IME. Especially the e945.

I wish I could try some of Bob Heil's mics. Haven't had the opportunity, yet.

Pat

Dave Bednarski

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2011, 09:29:18 PM »

Sorry to hijack, glad this was mentioned if even in passing.  I a considering purchasing a Beyerdynamic TG V90r ribbon microphone for the female vocalist in the band I work for.

Backups aside, she sings lead on the usual classic oldies (crazy, at last, midnight train, supremes, etc etc). 

The band uses 58 betas & Sennheiser 835s... I think they sound shrill.  I really have to resist EQ'ing it to the way sound the way *I* think it should sound w/ the female vocalists.  I'm looking for that vintage warmth. 

Ribbon really a dumb idea?  (If it was cheap, I wouldn't be asking)

Rusty Irby

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2011, 09:43:05 PM »

I notice the harshness on my rig, and also in my truck. Now in my wifes truck, that has a nice stereo, I do not have that shrill.  Also I have no problem using the EQ. It just seems that at times I really have to cut so much that the intelligability goes away. I was thinking of the Heil series but have never heard them, nor do not know anyone that has any. For most of the vocalist that come through the venue, I prefer to use the 835's. But with loud stage volume I go to the OM5's, which are not great in my opinion.

Alan Sledzieski

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2011, 09:46:44 PM »

Find someone who can sing??

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2011, 11:49:40 PM »

I notice the harshness on my rig, and also in my truck. Now in my wifes truck, that has a nice stereo, I do not have that shrill.  Also I have no problem using the EQ. It just seems that at times I really have to cut so much that the intelligability goes away. I was thinking of the Heil series but have never heard them, nor do not know anyone that has any. For most of the vocalist that come through the venue, I prefer to use the 835's. But with loud stage volume I go to the OM5's, which are not great in my opinion.

How does her voice sound on headphones when you play the recording?  That you report it sounding significantly different on a different stereo might just mean that your truck and PA sound more alike than they do compared to your wife's.  Jordan's comment about hearing checks is worth repeating.

That said, the e835 is one of my least-liked microphones from Sennheiser.  On most women it sounds like fingernails on a chalkboard.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2011, 12:57:25 AM »

How does her voice sound on headphones when you play the recording?  That you report it sounding significantly different on a different stereo might just mean that your truck and PA sound more alike than they do compared to your wife's.  Jordan's comment about hearing checks is worth repeating.

That said, the e835 is one of my least-liked microphones from Sennheiser.  On most women it sounds like fingernails on a chalkboard.

And that puts it in the same league as the Beta's. My money would be on a PR-35 or even a PR-22. Both sound very natural with females and you won't be fighting that shrill crap all night long.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Jordan Wolf

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2011, 01:32:45 AM »

My money would be on a PR-35 or even a PR-22. Both sound very natural with females and you won't be fighting that shrill crap all night long.
I have found the '35 to be more forgiving with shrill/harsh vocals.  The PR22 has that "snap" I look for in a snare drum sound, just not usually in a vocals (unless the artist does).
« Last Edit: September 08, 2011, 01:36:30 AM by Jordan Wolf »
Jordan Wolf
<><

"We want our sound to go into the soul of the audience, and see if it can awaken some little thing in their minds... Cause there are so many sleeping people." - Jimi Hendrix

Rusty Irby

« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2011, 05:59:49 AM »

I have found the '35 to be more forgiving with shrill/harsh vocals.  The PR22 has that "snap" I look for in a snare drum sound, just not usually in a vocals (unless the artist does).

I am not saying that I hate all the above microphones. I am wanting to expand my collection for various reasons.

Jay Barracato

• Solomons, MD
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2011, 06:36:15 AM »

I am not saying that I hate all the above microphones. I am wanting to expand my collection for various reasons.

While I think it truely excels for vocals coupled with acoustic instruments, the EV PL80a is an extremely smooth sounding vocal mic that I have used successfully with a number of female vocalists.
Jay Barracato

duane massey

« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2011, 05:45:20 PM »

EV also has a mic tweaked for female vocals. Can't remember the model, but it's reasonable  $$ and worked well when I was playing with a band that used one.
Duane Massey
Technician, musician, stubborn old guy
Houston, Texas

Stu McDoniel

• Central Wisconsin...USA
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2011, 10:34:23 AM »

A GREAT vocal mic is the EV n/d967 and a bit lower on the scale is
the EV n/d767
I have recieved great comments from performers using the EV n/d967 and what
they heard in their monitors.  This is really a great microphone!

Martin Morris

« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2011, 05:49:23 PM »

Dude told me to "go back to where I came from", so I set my tent up on his front lawn ... (unnamed Indian)

Tim Padrick

• Indianapolis
    • T.P. Audio
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2011, 06:35:21 PM »

An accomplished friend uses the 935 for the $ channel, and the 835 for bright, screechy singers.

Jay Pemberton

« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2011, 06:46:04 PM »

EV also has a mic tweaked for female vocals. Can't remember the model, but it's reasonable  $$ and worked well when I was playing with a band that used one.

I think that was the ND 367....

Doug Maye

« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2011, 12:16:43 PM »

935's &945's are both decent, but I'm becoming a big fan of the Heil PR35's. To me they just EQ well no matter what goes into them. I've owned 8 so far and I don't do more than 3 gigs without someone buying one of them. I just order them 2 at a time. Hell I've used one kick drums once. It did OK.

Gary Weller

« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2011, 09:23:57 PM »

Beyer M88 works great for female singers.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2011, 09:23:57 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.047 seconds with 19 queries.