ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mic suggestion for live acoustic guitar application  (Read 7230 times)

Guy Morris

Mic suggestion for live acoustic guitar application
« on: January 31, 2011, 11:44:10 AM »

Hello

I have a job coming up which is a recital from a well respected  classical guitarist. He does not use pick ups and would normally not require any S/R but the event will be staged using two adjoining rooms so those seated in the second room will require some  help to hear the recital fully due to the acoustics. I have some good suitable mics for  acoustic guitar but was looking into either having a Neumann KM184 or AKG 414 XLS on inventory for this kind of occasion. The Neumann appeals  as it is a smaller discreet mic but I do not want to compromise sound for size, both microphones are in the running so thoughts from those that have used either or both please.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2011, 11:47:56 AM by Guy Morris »

Geoff Doane

• Halifax, NS
Re: Mic suggestion for live acoustic guitar application
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2011, 02:50:30 PM »

The KM184 (or hyper-card 185) mic is one of the go-to mics for acoustic guitar where I work.  Schoeps Collette series also get the nod.  And although we've got lots of 414s, I don't think anyone ever uses them for acoustic guitar (not sure why, I probably should try it sometime).

Another mic that doesn't suck for this is the AKG C460B+CK61 (the C460 has been replaced by the C480 in the AKG lineup).

GTD

Dave Unger

• Dave Unger Sound Blog
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2011, 03:34:12 PM »

The KM184 is one of my favorite guitar mics.  I use them all the time.  They can be a little tricky in the monitors.  The 414 is also great on a guitar, but wouldn't be my first choice.
Without music to decorate it, time is just a bunch of boring production deadlines or dates by which bills must be paid.
-Frank Zappa

Karl Winkler

• Lectrosonics
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2011, 06:11:50 PM »

Both mics should be fine for this purpose. The 184 might sound a tad more "natural", and it is easier to place and hide. Both mics have a touch of lift in the highs, so it may be desirable to knock off just a hair of the top so they don't sound too bright when close-miking the guitar.
In theory, theory and practice should be the same. In practice, they are not.

Guy Morris

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2011, 07:32:53 AM »

Thanks guys very helpful feedback, looks like the Km184 from the two possibles is the mic of choice for the application and as its a more affordable price I may go for a matched pair for future use!

Jay Barracato

• Solomons, MD
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2011, 09:04:32 AM »

Depending on the artists likes/dislikes, if the artist is seated you may want to consider adding an over the shoulder mic in addition to the front stand.
Jay Barracato

Iain.Macdonald

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2011, 02:55:11 PM »

Guy,

The KM is a nice mic. But my preference would be something from Earthworks. I think they just sound more open and natural.

Iain.

ps if you are Guy from Wales. Kevin at Unity Audio has demo packages.

Marsellus Fariss

• Grey Eagle Music Hall
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2011, 05:43:41 AM »

The KM184 is one of my favorite guitar mics.  I use them all the time.  They can be a little tricky in the monitors.

"A little tricky in the monitors?" Yea, here's tricky... hot humid summer day in the south and Tony Rice comes at you (the on monitors) with a pair of 184's on a big festival stage w/ no soundcheck under a giant tin roof and says "we'll use these. get em' up so we can hear will ya?" Good thing there were 12AM's on the stage that day. And that the Turbo rig was pretty well aimed. That's some stressful shit when don't have SMAART around. Even so when you do.   
Marsellus Fariss
Production Manager
Grey Eagle Music Hall

Ambassador to Clubland
"Welcome to Clubland! Here's a Sharpie and your input list. Its 30 minutes till doors."

Quote from: dick rees
Just accept that it's a crap situation and take the money.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2011, 05:43:41 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 25 queries.