ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Yorkville, 808, ls 801 power handling info.  (Read 16814 times)

Alan Sledzieski

Re: Yorkville, 808, ls 801 power handling info.
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2011, 09:10:35 am »

I am not "admitting" to anything that was not already clealy defined in the other thread.

It appears that do not understand that 800 watts rms is 1600 watts peak.

You are not "right" about anything if you feed 1500 watts rms which is 3000 watts peak into a speaker rated for 1600 watts peak, since that is twice the peak rating of the woofer.

Furthermore, anyone who would put 4500 watts rms which is 2250 watts rms each into two boxes that are rated 1200 watts peak each does not have a clue of what they are doing.

Will you make up your mind, post 6 you said they are 400w rms 800 program, 1600 peak , now your up to 800w rms, 1600 peak in this post.   Hope you don't work for NASA, lol

http://www.crestaudio.com/media/pdf/v1500_5-20-97.pdf

Where does it say anything about putting out 3kw peaks  Its 1500 at 1% at 1k, The acl is already coming in at this point reducing output to keep thd down.  Theres no listing for a 1 ms. burst here.

Alan Sledzieski

« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2011, 09:14:51 am »

Furthermore, anyone who would put 4500 watts rms which is 2250 watts rms each into two boxes that are rated 1200 watts peak each does not have a clue of what they are doing.

Using different drivers if you read the post a little closer

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2011, 10:58:53 am »

This is all silly as all that matters is what SPL the cab will do at which frequencies.

The passive cab needs an amp. Big deal. The active one is all set.

Why argue about the power amps when the number doesn't matter at all in the active cab as you can't measure it anyway.
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

bruce gering

« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2011, 11:37:13 am »

This is all silly as all that matters is what SPL the cab will do at which frequencies.

Why argue about the power amps when the number doesn't matter at all in the active cab as you can't measure it anyway.
Thank You, Rob!

Brian Ehlers

• West Michigan
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2011, 12:18:49 pm »

YES!!!  Someone finally said it!

Why anyone cares about the power rating of a powered loudspeaker is beyond me.  That's like buying a vacuum cleaner based on its Amp rating.  Ooooo, it uses more power, it must be better.  :o

Glenn A Williams

« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2011, 01:14:30 am »

Will you make up your mind, post 6 you said they are 400w rms 800 program, 1600 peak , now your up to 800w rms, 1600 peak in this post.   Hope you don't work for NASA, lol

http://www.crestaudio.com/media/pdf/v1500_5-20-97.pdf

Where does it say anything about putting out 3kw peaks  Its 1500 at 1% at 1k, The acl is already coming in at this point reducing output to keep thd down.  Theres no listing for a 1 ms. burst here.

You do not have a clue about what you are talking about.

You mentioned using 1500 watts rms which is the same as 3000 watts peak.

I said that 800 watts rms is 1600 watts peak. These ratings apply to amplifier output.

The 400 rms/800 program/1600 watts peak applies to speakers, and not amplifiers.

You don't even understand that. It becomes glaringly apparent that you have comprehension issues.

Further to that you have absolutely no understanding about what is commonly called rms wattage and peak wattage.

1500 watts rms continuous rating that will produce a 3000 watt peak at clippng.

Your comment regarding what you hope that would I do, or do not do if I worked for NASA, is a somewhat veiled personal slur. It is neither funny nor warranted.

Conduct such as yours is not allowed on these Forums.

It also continues to reveal your inane compulsion in using conjecture in order to come to unsubstantiated conclusions, which illustrate such complete ignorance of the subject.

You must be an antagonistic Troll, since it is hard for me to believe that anyone could be as lacking in education to come to your conclusions!

« Last Edit: September 10, 2011, 07:34:35 am by Glenn A Williams »

Glenn A Williams

« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2011, 07:14:48 am »

Using different drivers if you read the post a little closer

You need to look a lot closer since the LS300P is rated 300 rms/600 program/1200 peak.

Your friend is an idiot for using 2250 watts rms/4500 watts peak on a woofer rated for 1200 watts peak.

You really don't know anything about speakers regarding their power ratings and the advice that you give and follow goes against every principle in sound reinforcement.

In Post #4 you claim to agree with severe duty cycle issues and the ramifications of the stress such signals place upon a speaker and now you cannot seem to fathom that nearly four times the rms power and twice the peak is a not good idea.

Those power levels will stress a speaker both mechanically and thermally.

It strikes me that in a previous post you admit to blowing up Eminence Omega woofers. You are obviously not that competant.

I have never blown a woofer in over 30 years involement of Sound Reinforcement

Why don't you make up your mind as to the criterion that you support?

I submit that it is likely due to the fact that you don't understand what you are talking about.

« Last Edit: September 10, 2011, 07:48:20 am by Glenn A Williams »

Dave Dermont

• Forum Moderator
  • Global Moderator
  • From The Great Pocono Northeast
« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2011, 05:30:47 pm »

There was much debate on what a 808 can take as far as input power.  Also a few topics about a elite rig, and a new topic on the 808 vs 801p.

Actually, there has not been that much debate. What there has been is you acting like a dick, and refusing to listen to people who might know more than you do.

I just got off the phone with yorkville to find out the real answer of whats going on. I asked why the ls801p has a 1500w amp and why they only list the 808 as a 800w box. I also asked is they are the same driver, the answer yes.
 In a nutshell the powerd sub has built in limiting, compression, basically idiot proof, lol.  The 808 has the same driver, so I asked will it take 1500w, he said yes. But you have to be carefull of over excursion at certain frequencys.
Probably why I have been running 1500w into 608's, 800's 808's for many years.  Engage the 40 hz lowcut, don't try to make the speaker reproduce thing it can't like bumping 40, 50 hz to get low end thump.

One very good thing about powered speakers is that the manufacturer has control over the power and the processing. Most manufacturers try not to make stuff that breaks. This is why they do their best to make things "idiot proof". The problem is, they keep making better idiots.

The information you provide above is good, sound information.

I guess the best bet for anyone running the non powered subs would be to talk to a yorkville and get the real answer, and not believe a lot you here on here.  As I was told I was pretty much insane for putting anything over 800w into a 808.

Even though they are a "Music Store" brand, Yorkville is a solid product with a lot of professional users.  I have worked for a couple different companies that use Yorkville subs under Clair R-4s and EAW KF-850s, both of which are very stout full-range boxes.

It's fairly well known that Yorkville processors are a bit on the conservative side when it comes to where they start limiting. This has much to do with what I mentioned earlier about the "better idiots".

When professional users of Yorkville subs hang them on those big power amps, they do so for dynamic headroom. The whole point is to have more power than you really need, so as not to have to run the amps full bore all night.

That's different than "putting 1500 watts into an 800 watt box" or whatever.

Sometimes it's difficult for someone to pack decades of experience into a single post on an internet forum, but it's damn nice of those guys to try.

Yorkville does indeed  make a very good product, and they do know what they are talking about.

I see little need for any more "debate".

Thanks for playing.

Dave Dermont

Warning: Dates on calendar may be closer than they appear

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2011, 05:30:47 pm »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.022 seconds with 18 queries.