ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: sennheiser md 431 vs shure sm58  (Read 17066 times)

Airton Pereira

• The Knutz
Re: sennheiser md 431 vs shure sm58
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2011, 11:17:28 pm »

Thank you all for posting. I think Ill give the 431 a try. After all, its a mic Ive been willing to use for many times.
Drummer and Sound Engineer for The Knutz.

Jason Tubbs

• Rochester, NY, USA
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2011, 05:02:21 pm »

Try Beta 57 . . i think it sounds much better than B58 och i can get a few more db's out of it before it starts to feeb back . ..

/ magnus

+1

I'm not a huge fan of the Beta 57 for vocals, but this specific application (low-pitched male vocal) is where I find it to be very effective.

jt

Steve Hurt

• Lab Lounge
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2011, 06:05:12 pm »

Try an EV 967 if you ever get a chance.

Tim Padrick

• Indianapolis
    • T.P. Audio
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2011, 06:32:56 pm »

I agree with the OM7 and Senny 900 (935) suggestions.  But IME the PR20/22 pick up everything in the room - not a good choice unless the singer is very loud.  The N/D 767a works well, and I'm told (danger Will Robinson!) that the 967 and PL80a do as well.

Steven Leonard

• Sands Productions
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2011, 09:54:44 pm »

I love the Beta87c for low-pitched male vocalists. Fantastic mic but really only if the stage volume isnt out of hand. I have actually never heard/used a mic that covers a male baritone vocalist better.

M88 is good too but mic technique could be a bit of a concern since the polar pattern is so tight. I know you said he sings close to the mic. Does he move away/to the side at all?

The M88 is also great because it rejects a lot of background noise and is used pretty effectively on loud stages.

Hope that helps!

Steven

Airton Pereira

• The Knutz
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2011, 11:06:24 pm »

Not actually, the guy is a keyboard player so he is pretty much stuck in place. But, Ive just received a electro-voice RE 11 that I bought for $50 on ebay. Ill try it on our next gig.

Geoff Doane

• Halifax, NS
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2011, 08:38:27 am »

Ive just received a electro-voice RE 11 that I bought for $50 on ebay. Ill try it on our next gig.

Good luck with that!  ;)

Many years ago, before I had any 58s or "proper" vocal mics, I tried some PL-11s (same mic, different paint) for a band's vocals.  The band absolutely hated them.  These mics have no proximity effect, and are weak in the low end to start with.  I bought them to use on the saxophone section of a big band, where the players sat most of the time, but stood for solos.  The fact that the tone didn't change much when they were closer worked well for that, but singers expect proximity.

If you look at E-V's marketing material for these back in the day, it's quite clear that they are trying to sell these to sound technicians, not musicians.  And not live sound guys, TV sound guys!  ::)

I still can't understand how they got Elvis to use an RE-10 or 15 (I'm not sure exactly which one it was) for the Hawaii concert.  Maybe he was so good, it didn't matter.  8)

GTD

Airton Pereira

• The Knutz
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2011, 09:11:02 am »

Funny, cause before buying I read some nice reviews about these mics!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2011, 09:11:02 am »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 22 queries.