ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: sennheiser md 431 vs shure sm58  (Read 19861 times)

Airton Pereira

• The Knutz
sennheiser md 431 vs shure sm58
« on: September 06, 2011, 10:57:09 PM »

Hereīs the problem: I need a mic for a male low pitched vocalist, who sings very close to the mic. This is a rock band, so less gain before feedback and great stage noise rejection are a must. Iīm really into the md 431 (the old one), but I canīt demo one, because it is really rare. What do you think? Which of these would do the work better?
Drummer and Sound Engineer for The Knutz.

James A. Griffin

Re: sennheiser md 431 vs shure sm58
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2011, 11:14:05 PM »

This is a rock band, so less gain before feedback and great stage noise rejection are a must.

Why do you want less gain before feedback?

Almost all stage vocal mics are going to be cardiod or hyper-cardiod and will reject sound / noise from the rear.  But since the band is usually behind the singer, the pickup pattern of the mic is not going to help you.     The amount of stage noise picked up will depend on the relative distance of singer to mic and noise to mic, not which mic you use.   That your singer holds the mic close will be a plus.
I need to determine where in this swamp of unbalanced formulas squatteth the Toad of Truth

Airton Pereira

• The Knutz
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2011, 11:18:20 PM »

Why do you want less gain before feedback?

Almost all stage vocal mics are going to be cardiod or hyper-cardiod and will reject sound / noise from the rear.  But since the band is usually behind the singer, the pickup pattern of the mic is not going to help you.     The amount of stage noise picked up will depend on the relative distance of singer to mic and noise to mic, not which mic you use.   That your singer holds the mic close will be a plus.

My bad, I want MORE gain before feedback due to monitors. And itīs not for hanheld use, itīs for a keyboard player who does backing vocals, so the mic would be always on a stand.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2011, 11:23:03 PM by Airton Pereira Silva »
Drummer and Sound Engineer for The Knutz.

James A. Griffin

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2011, 11:23:46 PM »

My bad, I want MORE gain before feedback due to monitors. And itīs not for hanheld use, itīs for a keyboard player who does backing vocals.

If you're looking for a mic that allows you to crank the monitors a little more than normal, try the Heil PR20 or PR22.   Both outperform the SM58 in this category.  To my ear, they sound better overall as well, but that's a subjective judgement from me.    I can't tell you anything about how the MD431 would do.
I need to determine where in this swamp of unbalanced formulas squatteth the Toad of Truth

Christian Tepfer

• Klanggestaltung Blog (German)
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2011, 04:04:33 AM »

Your problem will be when he is not singing, backing off the mic.

The 431 is a fine microphone but you might need an Optogate.
Christian Tepfer
christian at amanya dot de

Charlie Zureki

• South Eastern Michigan (near Windsor)
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2011, 09:18:13 AM »

Hereīs the problem: I need a mic for a male low pitched vocalist, who sings very close to the mic. This is a rock band, so less gain before feedback and great stage noise rejection are a must. Iīm really into the md 431 (the old one), but I canīt demo one, because it is really rare. What do you think? Which of these would do the work better?

Audix OM7
  Sennheiser 900 series
  Heil PR 22

Good Luck,
  Hammer
Do it the right way....don't be a Dino!

Tim Halligan

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2011, 12:38:13 PM »

Beyer 69.

Beyer 88.

Cheers,
Tim
An analogue brain in a digital world.

magnus söderman

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2011, 05:04:23 PM »

Try Beta 57 . . i think it sounds much better than B58 och i can get a few more db's out of it before it starts to feeb back . ..

/ magnus

Geoff Doane

• Halifax, NS
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2011, 07:53:04 PM »

We've got a bunch of MD431s and SM58s at my day job, and the 431s are the go-to mics for singers.  They reject off-axis noise better, and generally have a more pleasant sound (smoother top end) than the 58.  But they are more fussy about mic technique, and some singers have a problem with this, so the 58s do still see some use.

If your guy is good about staying tight on the mic, then it may turn out to be a good choice.

GTD

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2011, 10:08:42 PM »

There have been a couple of good comments so I'll add just a little bit.

The 431 has, to my ears, a smoother top end and a gentler slope to the LF proximity boost; I find it has more handling noise than an SM58; it has a lower output than a 58, so don't be surprised if you crank up the input trim more than you're used to.

The 431 has a tighter pattern and if your singer stays on the mic I think you'll like it better than a 58.

Someone suggested the Beyer M-69.  I like that mic but it's something I'd want to audition as it's not for every voice.  It's a thing of beauty for some singers and decidedly "meh" for the rest.  Still, I own 6 of them. :)

A possibility that you might audition locally is the Shure SM-86.  I haven't used it on a loud rock stage but in other applications that require strong monitors it's much easier to deal with than the SM-87 or (gag me) Beta 87.

Mics are fun!

Tim Mc
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

ProSoundWeb Community

ÂŦ Reply #9 on: September 07, 2011, 10:08:42 PM Âŧ

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.024 seconds with 22 queries.