ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: connecting it all...  (Read 12559 times)

Yosi Melamed

Re: connecting it all...
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2011, 12:41:06 PM »

To add to the discussion:
You don't need external processing IF you're comfortable working with the amp's DSP.
You don't HAVE to use an external mixer, but I would strongly recommend you pick up an inexpensive mixer with balanced outputs.
The CV subs are not very impressive, and throwing more $$ at them would not be a particularly good investment. Look at either better (more $$) passives or consider active subs instead.
Seriously consider buying a USB-analog interface. The quality of the audio will be much improved over the sound of the headphone output on the PC, and the connections are much more dependable. You don't need to spend major $$, even the Behringer device is worthwhile, and you don't need balanced outputs.
What are your expectations (how large a show/room/audience size, what type of music, etc)?

Hello Duane,
Thank you for adding to the discussion,
I plan to play (DJ) in events with up to 400 people, but usually smaller up to 150. I also plan to rent my rig to small, new bands that need it for very little $$.

Sound quality is very important to me, I will be annoyed buy a cheaply sounding system, so if not having a USB sound card/analog interface is my weak link then it's a must.

Because I sometimes lend my rig to small bands, I will probably need a mixer, I thought to go for Allen & Heath ZED 10 FX, it has a great sound and value for the money (~$200). As for USB interface I haven't been able to study the options that are available yet, any advice?

I don't plan to buy additional CV subs, I got one 15" CV sub for free when I bought the four ProStax 12 CV's, I'm not saying no to that :-)
I do plan on getting JBL SRX728s as the subs. I don't know if it's overkill for bass power or underpower? are the amps from the original post OK for these subs? for the whole rig?
« Last Edit: September 05, 2011, 02:24:29 PM by Yosi Melamed »
Don't bring up facts that can ruin our good argument.

Crown i-Tech 8000
Allen & Heath ZED60-14FX
4 X Cerwin Vega ProStax PS-12 II
1 X Cerwin Vega Sub 15
1 X Rolls RS-80 Tuner
1 X MaxxBass 101
1 X Weekend warrior

duane massey

« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2011, 03:39:03 PM »

Free is always good, unless it involves a social disease.

No such thing as "overkill" when it comes to subs, just "overweight" and "overpriced". SR728 is very popular product, and will have no problem keeping up with the CV's.

I've used this interface with good results, bu Peavey has a similar product, as do several other companies in this price range:
http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/BEHRINGER-UCA222-/555-12485
Duane Massey
Technician, musician, stubborn old guy
Houston, Texas

Chris Carpenter

• Baton Rouge
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2011, 05:10:59 PM »

If you haven't already got a USB interface, you may look into dropping a bit more cash to get one that can output enough to drive a power amp by itself. That would allow you the opportunity to leave the mixer at home if you didn't want it. I am thinking something like the presonus firestudio mobile (Im sure there are some cheaper alternatives that do this, but you get the idea).

Otherwise, the behringer unit that duane posted works very well. Although, if you do that, the UCA202 is the exact same thing but can be found cheaper (is is silver rather than red, and doesn't come with bloatware).

Sander Rooijens

« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2011, 06:57:51 AM »

I thought to go for Allen & Heath ZED 10 FX, it has a great sound and value for the money (~$200). As for USB interface I haven't been able to study the options that are available yet, any advice?

If you do decide get the A&H Zed-10FX it already has a USB interface built in. just plug a USB cable (not included) directly from your PC into the ZED and you'll be ready to go. I recently got a ZED-10FX myself and I love this little mixer, it is a very versatile tool.

Sander

Yosi Melamed

« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2011, 07:52:49 AM »

If you haven't already got a USB interface, you may look into dropping a bit more cash to get one that can output enough to drive a power amp by itself. That would allow you the opportunity to leave the mixer at home if you didn't want it. I am thinking something like the presonus firestudio mobile (Im sure there are some cheaper alternatives that do this, but you get the idea).

Otherwise, the behringer unit that duane posted works very well. Although, if you do that, the UCA202 is the exact same thing but can be found cheaper (is is silver rather than red, and doesn't come with bloatware).

OK, I think I almost got to the bottom of it. The sum of things is, a separate box, when I need it only for USB interface, just doesn't make sense to me, especially since the Allen & Heath ZED 10 mixer already has a USB interface, it only uses sampling rates up to 48KHz and 16bits, for playback and recording but that would be satisfactory for now. No bloatware here as well, just use ASIO4ALL and you're all set.

There are other USB mixers such as the Alesis MultiMix8 USB 2.0 that has 24bit/96KHz multi channel samplers for better recording and playback, but they always come up short when you compare the rest of the mixer (build and pre amp quality) so I guess I will make do with A&H ZED 10 for now instead of a separate USB sound card/interface.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2011, 09:08:37 AM by Yosi Melamed »

Crown i-Tech 8000
Allen & Heath ZED60-14FX
1 X Cerwin Vega Sub 15
1 X Rolls RS-80 Tuner
1 X MaxxBass 101
1 X Weekend warrior

Yosi Melamed

« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2011, 07:57:00 AM »

If you do decide get the A&H Zed-10FX it already has a USB interface built in. just plug a USB cable (not included) directly from your PC into the ZED and you'll be ready to go. I recently got a ZED-10FX myself and I love this little mixer, it is a very versatile tool.

Sander

Hey Sander,
After thoroughly checking every spec of every USB mixer, and reading allot of reviews, I got to that conclusion too.

Since you have that mixer, can you tell me how good it sounds? did you compare it to other mixers?

If I want to bi-amp my system, how do I connect the mixers output to two amps using the on-board crossover?
Thank you
 :)
« Last Edit: September 06, 2011, 08:07:52 AM by Yosi Melamed »

Crown i-Tech 8000
Allen & Heath ZED60-14FX
1 X Cerwin Vega Sub 15
1 X Rolls RS-80 Tuner
1 X MaxxBass 101
1 X Weekend warrior

Sander Rooijens

« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2011, 10:42:35 AM »

Since you have that mixer, can you tell me how good it sounds? did you compare it to other mixers?

I've only had it for a short while and I have not done any direct comparisons yet.
So far I have no complaints about the sound quality though, I'm very happy with it.

The 16 bit/48KHz rate of the audio interface is something that initially I saw as a limitation as well but I've seen the Alesis mixers at tradeshows etc. and I've dismissed them on build quality alone without ever even listening. They look and feel very very cheap IMO and I have never even considered them a viable alternative. IMO they're audio toys, not audio tools. The ZED is a very different league and seems built to last.

I'll report back if I ever get around to a direct comparison but my impression is that it is a very real improvement over other small mixers I've used.

Sander

Sander Rooijens

« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2011, 10:50:53 AM »

If I want to bi-amp my system, how do I connect the mixers output to two amps using the on-board crossover?

Do you mean your amplifiers have an on-board crossover?

Just feed the mixers left and right main outputs to the amplifiers with XLR cables and set the amplifier up according to it's manual. Depending on the exact amplifier you may have to move some switches and/or patch through the channels but it depends on the amplifier make and model how to do that exactly. Should be easy enough though, usually the switches etc. are also clearly marked on the amplifiers back panel.

Sander

Yosi Melamed

« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2011, 11:04:21 AM »

Do you mean your amplifiers have an on-board crossover?

Just feed the mixers left and right main outputs to the amplifiers with XLR cables and set the amplifier up according to it's manual. Depending on the exact amplifier you may have to move some switches and/or patch through the channels but it depends on the amplifier make and model how to do that exactly. Should be easy enough though, usually the switches etc. are also clearly marked on the amplifiers back panel.

Sander

Hey again,
Yes, the amps have internal crossover an allot of other stuff, no switches on these amps, just a digital display with a few buttons, a couple of clicks and your crossovers are ready to go. If you need anything more complex, you plug in a USB cable from the back of the amp to a computer with SystemArchitect software installed (free) and, you download the new settings to the amp and save them so you don't have to reconnect the computer again for the same configuration.

Don't know if I understood you correctly, did you mean to connect both amps using a Y cable to split the signal from the mixers output? wouldn't it also split the power sent to each amp resulting in lower volume?

Thank you

Crown i-Tech 8000
Allen & Heath ZED60-14FX
1 X Cerwin Vega Sub 15
1 X Rolls RS-80 Tuner
1 X MaxxBass 101
1 X Weekend warrior

duane massey

« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2011, 11:07:26 AM »

Don't worry about the sampling rate, if that's your only concern. The build quality is much more important, as well as the mic preamps. My only concern would be the number of mic inputs, as 4 mic inputs won't be adequate for most bands, IF you're going to use the system for live bands.

Don't use the mixer's crossover, use the amplifiers' DSP if you stick w/ the Xti series. Each amp will act as it's own crossover (they're designed this way), so you would just parallel the inputs from amp to amp, using the XLR in/out jacks. Very simple.
All you need is standard XLR cables, no Y cords or anything odd.
Duane Massey
Technician, musician, stubborn old guy
Houston, Texas

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2011, 11:07:26 AM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 22 queries.