ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Screen and projector vs TV/monitor in sanctuary  (Read 26291 times)

dennis huff

Screen and projector vs TV/monitor in sanctuary
« on: September 03, 2011, 06:53:31 PM »

It is time for and upgrade and the idea of getting two 55+" screens for each side of the sanctuary instead of a motorized screen and new projector for a ceiling mount has been proposed.  Any thoughts on pros and cons of this approach?

I'm worried about TV lifespan myself.  Our projector is getting 5-7 years old so if we're installing a projector on the ceiling I'm recommending a new one.  I'm also worried that were not gaining readability with two TVs.  The screen would be a larger screen to replace a really old manual screen on the wall that doesn't look so great.

Nicholas Bailey

Re: Screen and projector vs TV/monitor in sanctuary
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2011, 10:40:05 PM »

Have you looked at the new Sharp 70 inch LCDs?  They may fit you need better.

Nick

Brad Weber

• Marietta, GA
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2011, 12:02:12 AM »

It is time for and upgrade and the idea of getting two 55+" screens for each side of the sanctuary instead of a motorized screen and new projector for a ceiling mount has been proposed.  Any thoughts on pros and cons of this approach?
The limited size of the image is usually the biggest issue with flat panel displays used in such a manner.  The image on a 60" diagonal, 16:9 display is only around 29.4" high, which is going to relate to a limited viewing distance.

Jonathan Johnson

• Southwest Washington (state, not DC)
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2011, 06:19:18 PM »

In some cases, the increased brightness and contrast a TV provides, especially in normal lighting situations, can offset the readability issues of a smaller screen. In other words, you may find that where you might need a 72" projector/screen, a 55+ TV may do the job.

Of course, you need to consider that ALL new TVs have a 16:9 aspect ratio whereas projectors may be designed for a 4:3 aspect ratio. As another poster stated, for a given width the TV will not be as high. Some newer projectors may be designed for 16:9; I don't really know as I haven't been keeping up with that technology. So that means for a fixed width, a 16:9 display may have smaller text than a 4:3.

The marketers call them "wide screen" displays. My co-worker calls them "short screen."
Stop confusing the issue with facts and logic!

Arnold B. Krueger

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2011, 09:47:05 AM »

Image size and brightness is very important. With LCD/DLP screens you are limited to about 92 inches and 500 lumens. With projectors you can do whatever you can pay for.

I'm worried about TV lifespan myself.  Our projector is getting 5-7 years old so if we're installing a projector on the ceiling I'm recommending a new one.  I'm also worried that were not gaining readability with two TVs.  The screen would be a larger screen to replace a really old manual screen on the wall that doesn't look so great.

If I was projecting video on a wall, I would research the option of appropriately painted dry wall or its equivalent. It is very popular for HT, and not just because of low cost.

As far as lifespan goes, I don't think there is much hardware in a church sanctuary that sees the kind of heavy, frequent use that a regular TV gets in a home.

Brad Weber

• Marietta, GA
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2011, 11:54:35 AM »

In some cases, the increased brightness and contrast a TV provides, especially in normal lighting situations, can offset the readability issues of a smaller screen. In other words, you may find that where you might need a 72" projector/screen, a 55+ TV may do the job.
This may be confusing or mixing two somewhat separate issues.  The image contrast that could certainly affect the ability to distinguish any text displayed and in this case that could relate to both the displayed image brightness relative to the ambient light level and to the of the contrast between the text and background.  However, the legibility of text is also a factor of the character size and especially the character height.  Neither contrast nor brightness changes the character size. To get a greater text character height, and thus viewing distance, you can either display fewer, larger characters or use a larger display.

The problem with combining the two factors is that a smaller direct view display may, but does not inherently, result in improved contrast for the text compared to a larger image from a projector.  However, if displaying the same image the smaller display will relate to a smaller character size.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2011, 07:00:54 AM by Brad Weber »

Lee Douglas

• 47.662615, -116.756954
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2011, 11:54:29 PM »

Have you considered a small 2x2 video wall?  I believe LG has some new offerings that aren't much more than their standard screens of the same size and are built to do multiple screen video walls and are scalable.  The output of a standard LCD with the size you need.
This space for rent

Richard Carter

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2011, 03:28:45 PM »

While Plasma/LCDs can offer a better image, the limitation is usually size as mentioned by others.  A quick test you can do to show the decision makers is to use Word or Powerpoint or you favorite editor and put up whatever text you would typically do (Songs, Prayers - use text, not images).  Do this to fully cover your existing screen then do a page that is reduced to the size flat panel you are considering.  Have people stand at the back of the room and see how readable it is.  I know this ignores differences in brightness and contrast between solutions but it will give you an idea of how big a screen your need.

Arnold B. Krueger

« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2011, 08:23:53 AM »

While Plasma/LCDs can offer a better image, the limitation is usually size as mentioned by others. .

I'm unsure that Plasma/LCDs *can* always provide a better image. LCDs and plasmas don't go brighter than 500 lumens, and many stop at 300. Similarly, just about all of the LCDs and Plasmas that are being considered are limited to HD format - just 1920 x 1080. 

If you've got the bucks, you can blow those numbers for resolution and brightness completely off the map with one or more projectors working on a screen that starts out larger than any commercial LCD or plasma, and goes upward from there.

Tiling multiple inexpensive projectors has become an economical option. Tiling consumer LCDs and Plasmas generally costs more and never looks as good as it does with projectors.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2011, 08:23:53 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 25 queries.