ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Another power distro question. Need suggestions.  (Read 6257 times)

Don Gspann

Another power distro question. Need suggestions.
« on: September 03, 2011, 12:44:59 PM »

I have a Motion Labs distro with the 50A CS connector on it and a short piece of 6/4. Technically, the 6/4 is only rated at 45 amps, but the CS connector only accepts a max of #6. The problem is I need a 100' of feeder at a couple of places and need 4/4 to minimize the voltage drop. What's the best way to get from 4 GA. Into the CS connector?

Charlie Zureki

• South Eastern Michigan (near Windsor)
Re: Another power distro question. Need suggestions.
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2011, 01:29:16 PM »

I have a Motion Labs distro with the 50A CS connector on it and a short piece of 6/4. Technically, the 6/4 is only rated at 45 amps, but the CS connector only accepts a max of #6. The problem is I need a 100' of feeder at a couple of places and need 4/4 to minimize the voltage drop. What's the best way to get from 4 GA. Into the CS connector?

Hello,

You need to follow the NEC codes and the Manufacturer's specifications in regards to the correct size of conductor for the correct size connector.
   Hammer
Do it the right way....don't be a Dino!

Greg Longtin

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2011, 01:39:26 PM »

Don,

Re CS connectors, never used them.  Hubbell seems to show #6 max wire size.  Some Leviton CS products show a #4 ga max.

http://www.leviton.com/OA_HTML/ibeCCtpItmDspRte.jsp?item=222529&section=10873&minisite=10026

http://www.leviton.com/OA_HTML/ibeCCtpItmDspRte.jsp?item=224512&section=10871&minisite=10026

Greg

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2011, 01:41:52 PM »

I'm not clear on exactly where you're encountering the bottleneck.  The CS connectors I've used will accept 4 gauge.  I Googled up a link that also says  4 gauge is good:

http://www.stayonline.com/detail.aspx?ID=17863

Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Don Gspann

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2011, 01:51:05 PM »

Hello,

You need to follow the NEC codes and the Manufacturer's specifications in regards to the correct size of conductor for the correct size connector.
   Hammer

Ok.  NEC says I need 4ga. Wire for 50 A. 100'.  Connector is good for 50 A, but only accepts 6ga.   So hence the question.  Motion Labs sells 6/4 over 100' long.  So who's right?  Live with the extra voltage drop or jam a #4 into a #6 hole? 

When I looked up the CS connector, it was listed as accepting up to #6. Might have to get a piece of 4 ga. And try it.

Don Gspann

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2011, 01:58:21 PM »

Or....... Going to have to get a CS connector that will take a 4 ga. I guess.

paul bell

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2011, 03:00:24 PM »

Hey Don,

Have you tried to get a 4 gauge wire into your plug's lugs? I'll bet you can do it!

Completely removing the screw from the lug may help the wire to get in.

Generally, electrical plugs & connectors will accept the next wire size larger than they're
speced for. Almost all my L14/30 twist lock stuff has 8 gauge cabling in them.

RYAN LOUDMUSIC JENKINS

• Az Concert Sound Solutions
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2011, 03:16:21 PM »

At an event right now with three runs of 6/4 at 260 feet each.  One for lights, two for sound.  All cs connectors on 50 amp circuits.  No 4/4 cables were provided.  Every event I have ever done with 6/4 on 50 amp circuits has passed inspection.....when there was an inspection.   Calculate your voltage drop and turn the generators voltage up a bit to compensate. Call your local code enforcement agency and get their opinion in advance.  Keep in mind that you probably won't be pulling 50 amps anyways.

paul bell

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2011, 03:38:31 PM »

Ryan, 6/4 cord is rated for 45 amps up to fifty feet, 35 amps beyond that. The rule of thumb is every hundred feet,
you'd need to go up one wire size to maintain the starting ampacity. To maintain the 50 amps of the breaker,
you'd need this cabling to be 1 gauge.

While I'm sure you're fine running 6 gauge and operating without issue, an electrical inspector on his game
would have a problem with your overcurrent device size, cable size and length of run.

Don Gspann

« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2011, 04:08:03 PM »

At an event right now with three runs of 6/4 at 260 feet each.  One for lights, two for sound.  All cs connectors on 50 amp circuits.  No 4/4 cables were provided.  Every event I have ever done with 6/4 on 50 amp circuits has passed inspection.....when there was an inspection.   Calculate your voltage drop and turn the generators voltage up a bit to compensate. Call your local code enforcement agency and get their opinion in advance.  Keep in mind that you probably won't be pulling 50 amps anyways.

Glad to hear you're OK at 260'.  How much current are you actually pulling for sound?  We usually end up pulling close to 40 A a leg, but that was with minimal monitor setup.  Just trying to make sure I'm not going to cause an issue by adding more monitor mixes.  I've never had an issue with the electrical inspection either running 6/4, but it wasn't more than 30'.  Appreciate the help.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2011, 04:08:03 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 24 queries.