ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: wireless VGA to VGA extender?  (Read 17740 times)

Bill Beach

wireless VGA to VGA extender?
« on: September 02, 2011, 09:56:51 AM »

is there a viable VGA to VGA wireless transmitter and receiver out there anywhere?  need an alternative to long cable runs due to intermittent signal loss to projector.

Kurt Rivers

Re: wireless VGA to VGA extender?
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2011, 07:37:30 PM »

How about a VGA to Cat5 extender system?

Arnold B. Krueger

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2011, 09:38:16 AM »

is there a viable VGA to VGA wireless transmitter and receiver out there anywhere?  need an alternative to long cable runs due to intermittent signal loss to projector.

As a rule wireless is *never* as free of intermittant signal loss as wired.

More details about that signal loss, please!

Bill Beach

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2011, 06:40:09 PM »

How about a VGA to Cat5 extender system?
current system is with VGA to cat5 extenders

Bill Beach

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2011, 06:51:10 PM »

As a rule wireless is *never* as free of intermittant signal loss as wired.

More details about that signal loss, please!
did try a wireless and it was about the same as the VGA to Cat5 extenders we are using now.
as for the signal loss;
during use (1 computer feeding 4 projectors) at random times, a projector will go blank except for a message on the screen saying there is no signal.  in about the time it takes to read the message it will redisplay the image with another message (for a short time) telling us the signal has been found.
we run a Kramer VP-719DS presentation switcher from the DVI output of the computer.  from the Kramer we have Cables-to-Go active VGA to Cat5 extender and splitter (1 to 4).  the Cat5 lines to the projectors run from around 35 feet to about 115 feet.  on the other end the receiver is also powered and changes back to VGA from Cat5.
the signal loss occurs seemingly independently for each projector.  sometimes we will get 2 projectors that will lose signal at the some time, sometimes one right after another and sometimes just one will lose signal.
baffling............

Jonathan Kok

• Toronto
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2011, 09:59:23 PM »

did try a wireless and it was about the same as the VGA to Cat5 extenders we are using now.
as for the signal loss;
during use (1 computer feeding 4 projectors) at random times, a projector will go blank except for a message on the screen saying there is no signal.  in about the time it takes to read the message it will redisplay the image with another message (for a short time) telling us the signal has been found.
we run a Kramer VP-719DS presentation switcher from the DVI output of the computer.  from the Kramer we have Cables-to-Go active VGA to Cat5 extender and splitter (1 to 4).  the Cat5 lines to the projectors run from around 35 feet to about 115 feet.  on the other end the receiver is also powered and changes back to VGA from Cat5.
the signal loss occurs seemingly independently for each projector.  sometimes we will get 2 projectors that will lose signal at the some time, sometimes one right after another and sometimes just one will lose signal.
baffling............
I'd replace the power supply for the 1:4 splitter.  Seems like it might be failing and/or not outputting enough amps.  The distances you're running should easily be within range.
There's a remote chance that the cat5 ends are bad, but I doubt it.
If not the power supply, then replace the whole system with something better.  Extron and Kramer both make decent budget-friendly ones (relatively...) Magenta Research is better, but 4x the price.
If you can't afford to replace it, then try lowering the resolution you're sending to the screens.  The higher the resolution, the lower the distance these types of systems can send it.

Jonathan Johnson

• Southwest Washington (state, not DC)
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2011, 12:01:36 AM »

There's a remote chance that the cat5 ends are bad, but I doubt it.

If the CAT5 cable was terminated in-house (not in a factory), make sure that the ends are wired according to either the T568A or T568B (B seems preferred, though there is no electrical difference between the two) standard.

If the pairs are not paired properly (even if both ends are wired the same), you will get interference between the pairs that can cause signal degradation and loss. Also, it is necessary to use the proper plug depending on whether the conductors are solid or stranded; there is a difference. Typically, a "stranded" plug has straight "stabs" that pierce the insulation and go in the center of the strands; a "solid" plug has offset "stabs" that straddle the single copper wire. Using the wrong plug can result in an intermittent or high-resistance connection.
Stop confusing the issue with facts and logic!

Bill Beach

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2011, 08:02:07 PM »

I'd replace the power supply for the 1:4 splitter.  Seems like it might be failing and/or not outputting enough amps. 
only thing is, we had the problem before and after changing to the powered Cat5 extenders.
and the cables are all factory made.

Thomas Lamb

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2011, 11:53:48 PM »

only thing is, we had the problem before and after changing to the powered Cat5 extenders.
and the cables are all factory made.

This is why I am STILL. Anti catv Balun. I know there are people who use them verry successfully but I got burned once in there infancy and haven't used them since. We are however using mini converters converting sdi back and forth. I digress. At those distances I have used straight VGA cables without issue although 50-75 ft is typically my limit these days. With good quality VGA I have gone 150 ft. We tend to use rgbhv with VGA converters. Either analog solution should give you solid results.
bigTlamb

"If you suck on a functional analog desk, you'll really suck on a complex digital desk...." Dick Rees

Brad Weber

• Marietta, GA
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2011, 10:12:56 AM »

This is why I am STILL. Anti catv Balun. I know there are people who use them verry successfully but I got burned once in there infancy and haven't used them since. We are however using mini converters converting sdi back and forth. I digress.
I have also had some problems with video over CAT/UTP systems and found that the problems were almost always either faulty products or human error.  One of my first experiences with video over CAT/UTP was resulting in a terrible image in a large Auditorium space.  The Contractor apparently tried  adjusting the projector but could not get an acceptable image.  They told the Owner how it was the fault of their Consultant (me) using video over CAT.  So we went on site and I asked the Contractor how they had set the several adjustments available on the video over CAT receiver, to which I received a blank stare.  A couple of minutes, a few turns of knobs and setting of switches on the receiver and the projected image was more than acceptable to the Owner.

At those distances I have used straight VGA cables without issue although 50-75 ft is typically my limit these days. With good quality VGA I have gone 150 ft. We tend to use rgbhv with VGA converters. Either analog solution should give you solid results.
Discussing distances for any transmission method without addressing what is being transmitted is fairly pointless.  The signal involved can be a significant factor and "VGA" is used so generically that it could refer to actual 640x480 VGA or to a very high res signal that uses an HD15 connector.  Not considering the details of the signal being transmitted is a common issue in many 'video over CAT/UTP' problems.  So knowing the actual resolution and scan rate output from the scaler as well as the actual 'video over CAT' device and projector models might help in regards to assessing how the resolution may be a factor.

The fact that the problem appears to not be limited to a specific projector and can occur with any projector suggests that it is not related to a specific wiring path or connection.  That the same problem existed before switching to video over UTP also suggests it may not be solely a factor of the signal distribution system.

My first thought is to verify that the computer is set to a resolution and scan rate that the scaler supports and that the scaler output is set for a resolution and scan rate that all of the projectors accept.  Ideally you might select a signal that is native for the primary projectors, and that is native or compatible with the other projectors, and set both the computer and scaler outputs for that resolution and scan rate.

If that does not resolve the problem then some of the CablesToGo receivers have adjustable EQ so you might want to verify if the receivers have adjustable EQ and see if that helps.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2011, 10:12:56 AM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 21 queries.