ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Best way to record and use effects with a computer  (Read 3603 times)

Quintin T. Johnson

Best way to record and use effects with a computer
« on: August 31, 2011, 01:29:19 PM »

Hi my name is Quintin Johnson, and I a Sound Tech for my church. Carrolton Avenue Baptist Church in New Orleans LA..

We dont have a live band, but we use split tracks that I play of DJ Cd players.
What i am trying to do is Use a computer to add effects to the live sound during worship and the sermon. We record the sermon every Sunday on a Marantz CDR633, which is a very good cd recorder, but i want to start using the computer as another recording source. T

I use a Allen and Heath ZED24 Mixer, and Im am installing a Mac Pro this week... I would like someone to tell me or walk me through on how to use the computer and an effects prossecor, and also what else can i do with the computer.. I have Traktor I am goin to use to play the split tracks

Can anyone help me also what are the best softwares to use for what iam trying to do
The Best in every aspect

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
Re: Best way to record and use effects with a computer
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2011, 05:06:07 PM »

Hi my name is Quintin Johnson, and I a Sound Tech for my church. Carrolton Avenue Baptist Church in New Orleans LA..

We dont have a live band, but we use split tracks that I play of DJ Cd players.
What i am trying to do is Use a computer to add effects to the live sound during worship and the sermon. We record the sermon every Sunday on a Marantz CDR633, which is a very good cd recorder, but i want to start using the computer as another recording source. T

I use a Allen and Heath ZED24 Mixer, and Im am installing a Mac Pro this week... I would like someone to tell me or walk me through on how to use the computer and an effects prossecor, and also what else can i do with the computer.. I have Traktor I am goin to use to play the split tracks

Can anyone help me also what are the best softwares to use for what iam trying to do
I guess the first question is what specifically are you trying to do with effects?  Reverb?  Delay? Some kind of vocal processing?

It's possible to use a computer with a sound card and software as an effects processor, but this is usually expensive, less reliable than dedicated gear, and adds a lot of latency.  Giving more detail on what you are trying to accomplish will get you better answers.

Quintin

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2011, 06:17:26 PM »

I guess the first question is what specifically are you trying to do with effects?  Reverb?  Delay? Some kind of vocal processing?

It's possible to use a computer with a sound card and software as an effects processor, but this is usually expensive, less reliable than dedicated gear, and adds a lot of latency.  Giving more detail on what you are trying to accomplish will get you better answers.

Hey TJ and thanks for responding. Im not trying to go too elaborate with the effects, but Yes delay, and reverb, and maybe vocal gates. During singing, and during the sermon. Thats the main thing. Also  i want to use the computer to play splits tracks instead of using cds because they get scratched easily.. The last thing is i would also like to record he sermon with the computer..
 The Mixer has A usb port, and It came with Cakewalk Le, but I am using a mac, and the cakewalk is not compatible.
To add to the equation I also have a M-Audio Mobile Pre That i will be bringing up to the church with the mac. Not sure if its nessesary though. I do have access to all kinds of software because a buddy of mines has a studio..

Brad Weber

• Marietta, GA
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2011, 04:47:20 AM »

So you plan to simultaneously playback, record and process live all using the same computer?  And to do so via USB with a ZED-24 which only supports two outputs selected from Main L/R pre-fade, Main L/R post-fade, Aux 1/2 or Aux 3/4 and returns to Stereo Channel 3 L/R?

For recording and playback you could probably set the USB output to Aux 1/2 (pre-fade) and use that for recording and use Stereo 3 on the ZED-24 for the computer playback.  For adding effects you could select the USB output as Aux 3/4 (post-fade), use Stereo 3 as your effects return and then be sure to not run Stereo 3, the USB playback, to Aux 3 or 4, although you will still have the potential latency issues that TJ noted.

However, because the ZED-24 only supports two paired outputs and one stereo return via USB then I'm not sure how you might approach simultaneous playback, recording and live effects via the USB connection.  If you used your M-Audio interface then you might use it for the recording and playback and use the console's USB connectivity for the effects send and return (or vice versa) if the computer supports it.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2011, 04:47:20 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 25 queries.