ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Permanently Installed stage snake HELP!  (Read 15664 times)

Josh Coble

Re: Permanently Installed stage snake HELP!
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2011, 08:31:52 AM »

One possible factor that I don't think has been addressed is the area under the stage and by that I mean aspects such as the stage construction, how much clearance there is, how accessible the area under the stage is and whether code and the AHJ may consider the area under it an accessible storage space.  If you can incorporate a trough as you originally planned that may not matter as much but if the boxes are to be set in the stage and the cabling to run under it then these can be relevant considerations.

For example, if it were an existing stage that is the flooring on sleepers that are on a concrete slab then the depth and orientation of the sleepers may dictate what is practical to do without tearing up the stage.

Thanks you guys for all of your knowledge and help in this issue. Those are all certainly factors that I will look at and take into consideration. Is this the proper forum to list part numbers or vendors that may have these terminal blocks that I can disperse my cabling to the floor pockets once I get to the stage? If so, could you fellas shoot me some? That would be greatly appreciated. I am in IT and I punch down RJ45 into terminal blocks and keystone jacks all day long, so this would be easier.My hand isnt the steadiest soldering anymore.

What are your thoughts on cold heat soldering? Ive personally never used one, however, guys I've spoke with in the live sound business say they're good, but not for sensitive electronics...LEDS, precision board soldering, etc...anyone? Thanks guys!!

Thomas Lamb

« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2011, 06:46:20 PM »

Thanks you guys for all of your knowledge and help in this issue. Those are all certainly factors that I will look at and take into consideration. Is this the proper forum to list part numbers or vendors that may have these terminal blocks that I can disperse my cabling to the floor pockets once I get to the stage? If so, could you fellas shoot me some? That would be greatly appreciated. I am in IT and I punch down RJ45 into terminal blocks and keystone jacks all day long, so this would be easier.My hand isnt the steadiest soldering anymore.

What are your thoughts on cold heat soldering? Ive personally never used one, however, guys I've spoke with in the live sound business say they're good, but not for sensitive electronics...LEDS, precision board soldering, etc...anyone? Thanks guys!!

I typically measure the longest distance from the booth to the back wall of the stage to the furthest pocket and add some footage ( you NEVER want to be short) I order an IJIS snake fan to blunt in the length that I need. I will run it from the booth to the stage then I strip the outer sheath off and separate out the wires. It takes a little time but then I group them and route them to each individual box. The only connection I make is at the stage box.

bigTlamb

"If you suck on a functional analog desk, you'll really suck on a complex digital desk...." Dick Rees

Brad Weber

• Marietta, GA
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2011, 07:03:28 PM »

I order an IJIS snake fan to blunt in the length that I need. I will run it from the booth to the stage then I strip the outer sheath off and separate out the wires. It takes a little time but then I group them and route them to each individual box. The only connection I make is at the stage box.
I don't really know the answer but I am curious as to the code implications of that approach.  If you are running cable without conduit under a stage then that space would seem to either be considered  'accessible', in which case you may have to deal with exiting, sprinklers, lighting, etc., or 'inaccessible' and thus possibly require CL2 or better rated cabling.  And if air is returned under the stage through that space then plenum rated cable may be required.  But what happens when you peel the jacket off a cable for any distance?  Does it have any rating that would allow it to be used in an inaccessible area?  Does anybody know?

Thomas Lamb

« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2011, 07:19:01 PM »

I don't really know the answer but I am curious as to the code implications of that approach.  If you are running cable without conduit under a stage then that space would seem to either be considered  'accessible', in which case you may have to deal with exiting, sprinklers, lighting, etc., or 'inaccessible' and thus possibly require CL2 or better rated cabling.  And if air is returned under the stage through that space then plenum rated cable may be required.  But what happens when you peel the jacket off a cable for any distance?  Does it have any rating that would allow it to be used in an inaccessible area?  Does anybody know?

Most times I will run it to a junction box that has a main run of conduit typically installed by the electrical contractor. from there boxes on the stage conduit as well.

However, you bring up a valid point what exactly is the rating when you peel the jacket back is it acceptable at any point to run it without conduit in some situations?

It makes for a neat job when it is done!!
bigTlamb

"If you suck on a functional analog desk, you'll really suck on a complex digital desk...." Dick Rees

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2011, 07:19:01 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 25 queries.