ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Is a pair on amplified 12" monitors enough for my jazz band?  (Read 7708 times)

Roland Clarke

Re: Is a pair on amplified 12" monitors enough for my jazz band?
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2011, 08:04:34 AM »

Not that it particularly needs saying, but I would also fully endorse what Mac and Bob are saying above.  With a band that size, in the sort of venue you are describing I would be aiming to produce a great balanced sound on stage with small amp's and possibly a couple of monitors for vocals (sidefills would probably work well) and to fill in any gaps, possibly a little keys/guitar.  Alternatively, if cost is a real issue, you could place the speakers to the back of the band (left and right) and just use them, not as ideal, but workable if you are careful with the setup.

Regards

Roland

Guy Morris

« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2011, 11:19:07 AM »

Check out the HK Smart system. I have a couple of these systems and they are excellent for 'intimate' events up to 50 persons if you are playing jazz or even blues (solo). I think Mac is correct on suggesting that  the instruments and backline do the work with just the PA handling the vocals, but on a few occasions where a room has not been best suited I have elected to mic the kick drum /bass (acoustic and electric) and keys with brass in a subtle way and had very sweet results. The Smart comprises 2 x 6" + Dome tweeter satellites and a 10" sub bass with input controls which you can go direct into (solo) or use the XLRs L/R line in from a mixer. The benefit of  the system is that it performs really well sonically (can go loud) but is so small in size that you do not notice its there (unlike a couple of 15" boxes!)  which really puts the focus back on the musicians. Having control of the kick and bass really helped underpin the brass whereas without it the lows did lose out to the brass in balance terms. I also have used and bought for similar events the HK Elements system which is a scaleable micro line array system,this also is great for non intrusive PA and gives a 100 degree horizontal  dispersion so the idea of using FOH as reference works well! I used one 10" sub and 2 x elements tops a side for 50 noisy people in a pub with a jazz quintet who ramped it up in tempo and it did the job without being overbearing. I'm sure there are similar systems available they are the two I have used and now own however. The Smart is about £1100 gbp so may suit your budget the Elements wouldn't but worth checking out, and there is always BOSE L1 but try and get a demo of whatever you prefer first so everyone is happy with the purchase.

With mixers there are so many small compact formats available its down to personal choice I would suggest S/craft,Yamaha MG series or A&H Zed (I use the smallest Zed 10fx for this type of event where really there is not room for anything bigger!)

good luck

David Buckley

« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2011, 07:33:10 PM »

You might also want to consider checking out the RCF TT speaker range.

duane massey

« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2011, 12:12:54 AM »

I have used 2 speakers on sticks with a jazz quartet, no amps, no monitors, and it was perfect for small intimate rooms. We were using a small powered mixer and 2 12" Yamaha's, and it was ideal for the 10-50 people range. Keys, guitar, bass, small drum kit, and 3 vocals, stuck the speakers directly behind us and could hear ourselves quite well.

Now these were all pro-level jazz players, not smooth/r&b stuff, and we played mostly standards (Real Book-lite), but it can work IF the talent is there.
Duane Massey
Technician, musician, stubborn old guy
Houston, Texas

Guy Luckert

« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2011, 05:00:16 AM »

Another vote for small stage amps and NOT putting everyone through the P.A.

Richard Vasseur

« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2011, 11:19:29 AM »

Ok thank you everyone for your kind help !!

After a few weeks of rehearsals, we've tried various options and it seems you guys were right about having small amps onstage.

Our keyboardist told me he has a pair of powered EVs, so that could do for amplifying vocals I suppose.
I just have to find myself a good little mixer.

The ALLEN&HEATH WZ³16:2 looks great, but might be overkill for our limited needs. The price (€979 over here) is also a bit discouraging.
What about the ALLEN&HEATH ZED-22FX? It's €666 (the number of the beast!), so that could do.
Its specs:
16x mic/line inputs
3x dual stereo inputs
4x aux sends

There is also the SOUNDCRAFT MPMI 20, even cheaper @ €544. This one looks good as well.

What do you think?

Thanks !!

Richard

Paul Dershem

• San Diego, CA
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2011, 10:49:41 PM »

Ok thank you everyone for your kind help !!

After a few weeks of rehearsals, we've tried various options and it seems you guys were right about having small amps onstage.

Our keyboardist told me he has a pair of powered EVs, so that could do for amplifying vocals I suppose.
I just have to find myself a good little mixer.

The ALLEN&HEATH WZ³16:2 looks great, but might be overkill for our limited needs. The price (€979 over here) is also a bit discouraging.
What about the ALLEN&HEATH ZED-22FX? It's €666 (the number of the beast!), so that could do.
Its specs:
16x mic/line inputs
3x dual stereo inputs
4x aux sends

There is also the SOUNDCRAFT MPMI 20, even cheaper @ €544. This one looks good as well.

What do you think?

Thanks !!

Richard

I've played lots of small clubs as a bassist with jazz trios and small combos, with and without vocalists. Overamplifcation has been the bane of my existence, serving little purpose other than to raise the noise floor and SPL for everyone involved.

In small kinds of venues, I have two goals:
Make sure everyone on stage can hear each other clearly at a reasonable volume; and enable the audience to hear the nuances without inflicting ear fatigue or more volume than necessary.

I recommend the KISS method.
Live without pretending
Love without depending
Listen without defending
Speak without offending.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2011, 10:49:41 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 25 queries.