ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Presonus Studio Live vs LS 9  (Read 16732 times)

Dave Bigelow

• Louisville, KY when I am actually home...
Re: Presonus Studio Live vs LS 9
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2011, 09:46:29 PM »

I used both quite a few times on the club tour I just got done with. (Co Headliner had the studiolive and enough clubs had the LS9) I think it all falls into what feature set works better for your application. Personally I would take the LS9 because I want 4 effects, the motorized faders are nice but not required, sends on faders, and recall for the head amps.

Now if I was the only guy using the console and I wanted multitrack recording I would consider the presonus and then drag around at least a D-Two with it.

No comment on preamps :D

Russel Murton

• RPM Audio
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2011, 07:12:13 AM »

I used both quite a few times on the club tour I just got done with. (Co Headliner had the studiolive and enough clubs had the LS9) I think it all falls into what feature set works better for your application. Personally I would take the LS9 because I want 4 effects, the motorized faders are nice but not required, sends on faders, and recall for the head amps.

Now if I was the only guy using the console and I wanted multitrack recording I would consider the presonus and then drag around at least a D-Two with it.

No comment on preamps :D

The thing with the LS9, there's nothing really bad about it per say. It fits it's price range quite nicely, Yamaha recently did a big price decrease of the LS9 range to compete with the StudioLive more. I see the presonus as a different tiered product and more inline with bands operating their own IEM mixes with them and simple 3 way systems in clubs. Once you start beyond that into the range of bigger 4 way systems, need more recall features and more demanding needs the LS9 tier starts to become a better option. Being able to save EQ and compressor settings, save entire scenes, big options with the rack options (31, dual 31 and four FX) make the LS9 range a perfect fit.

So it all comes down to your needs for your level of production. The StudioLive is much more analogue friendly and easier to operate and is priced in a position that it will be a much better buy compared to similar analogue setups. The LS9 represents the first step into serious digital that requires more features than the digital options below it.

I see the LS9 being the top board for low-mid level PA operators with the M7CL being the level of serious business operators which cater for shows over the few hundred punters that LS9's typically control PA systems for. I see the StudioLive as catering for PA's covering up to about 500 punters, the LS9 from 200-1000 punters and 'real' consoles after that. The features required out of a desk seem to increase as the punter size increases as the channel count and requirements increase inline with the crowd size.

Dave Bigelow

• Louisville, KY when I am actually home...
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2011, 11:13:24 AM »

My only real gripe about the LS9 is those idiotic stereo returns, I always have to burn up 4 faders because the encoders are slow and pretty much just plain suck (for me).

By the way, the Presonus does recall EQ, dynamics, etc. The way it gives you fader positions of the last save point is interesting too.

For the little guy with a bar rig it is great but even after using one on the last tour at some places I doubt I'll ever add it to the wish list.

Russel Murton

• RPM Audio
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2011, 12:17:54 PM »

My only real gripe about the LS9 is those idiotic stereo returns, I always have to burn up 4 faders because the encoders are slow and pretty much just plain suck (for me).

By the way, the Presonus does recall EQ, dynamics, etc. The way it gives you fader positions of the last save point is interesting too.

For the little guy with a bar rig it is great but even after using one on the last tour at some places I doubt I'll ever add it to the wish list.

Yeah, those encoders are really annoying. I wish their response was linear like the other encoders like HA and EQ. I wish they put the fader layer buttons down at the UDK section and got rid of those encoders and just made another layer made up of the matrix's, mono and stereo buses and the stereo returns making a total of 5 layers. That way you could use the Custom Layer as it was intended. I end up putting my matrix faders and stereo channels on that page and use it as an FX return and output master layer.

David Jameson

• SR Forums
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2011, 01:43:42 PM »

I just added a fader for each stereo return to the custom level to control them.  Works like a charm for me!

Good luck.
Jameson Productions
Anderson, SC 29625
jameson_prod at bellsouth.net

Airton Pereira

• The Knutz
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2011, 07:30:55 PM »

I just added a fader for each stereo return to the custom level to control them.  Works like a charm for me!

Good luck.

Great idea! I'll do it too!

Anyway, I like the presonus and almost got one, but I went with the Ls9 because of Yamaha's name, the presonus dealer in Brazil is so lame that we still don't have the SL24 here. So I thought if I ever had an issue with the SL, how long Would I have to wait for a solution? On the other hand, the Yamaha dealer is terrific, I can find dozens of yamaha mixers at any given store.
Plus, I read the presonus forum and back in November there were many problems with the SL, that's why I got the LS9.
Finally, motorized faders are not the most important feature a mixer can have, but the idea of moving 30 faders at each scene recall is nuts!
Drummer and Sound Engineer for The Knutz.

David Parker

« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2011, 08:59:28 AM »

hi !

just out of pure curiosity i wonder if any of you has A/B tested the
StudioLive againt the LS-9.  Compared preamps etc etc .

/ Magnus

with regards to mic preamps, I would think the analog to digital converters would have more impact on the audio quality than the preamps. Most preamps these days are all of very high quality. Shop for stand alone A-D convertors. You can pay $2 for an A-D converter, or you can pay $2000. Every mic pre in a digital board has an A-D converter next in line. After that, it's all processed in the digital realm, so circuitry would have nothing to do with it. Then, when it gets ready to exit the mixer, you have D-A converters.

JOSEPH DIXON

« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2011, 09:25:05 AM »

hi !

just out of pure curiosity i wonder if any of you has A/B tested the
StudioLive againt the LS-9.  Compared preamps etc etc .

/ Magnus

Have 2 of the SL16.4.2 linked and using now, had an LS-9-32 two years ago...like the sound of the SL16.4.2 better, to my ears, just sounds cleaner....

Yeah, I've heard quite a few people who have mixed on the  SL16.4.2, SL 24.4.2, O1V96, and the LS9 say that very thing. I've never mixed on an LS9 but I have mixed on an SL16.4.2 and an O1V96 and I totally think the Presonus console sounded cleaner.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2011, 09:25:05 AM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 23 queries.