ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Ubiquiti Bullet M5 with iPad and StageMix  (Read 6029 times)

Kirby Yarbrough

• SR Forums
  • Reston, Virginia
Ubiquiti Bullet M5 with iPad and StageMix
« on: August 26, 2011, 12:13:30 PM »

Anyone with experience in successfully connecting the Ubiquiti Bullet M5 with an iPad and StageMix?

The iPad (2) connects to the network, and StageMix starts the connection but the sync fails with the "Connection failed. Check Wi-Fi Status" message.  I've also noticed a RealVNC client on the iPad will not connect to its server on a netbook cabled to the Bullet through a switch (IP addresses are set correctly in RealVNC).

Henry Cohen

• Westchester Co., NY, USA
Re: Ubiquiti Bullet M5 with iPad and StageMix
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2011, 07:18:26 PM »

Anyone with experience in successfully connecting the Ubiquiti Bullet M5 with an iPad and StageMix?

The iPad (2) connects to the network, and StageMix starts the connection but the sync fails with the "Connection failed. Check Wi-Fi Status" message.  I've also noticed a RealVNC client on the iPad will not connect to its server on a netbook cabled to the Bullet through a switch (IP addresses are set correctly in RealVNC).

Some things to check for:
- AirMax should be turned off.
- Bullet should be set to AP mode (not WDS), configured as DHCP client or with fixed IP on the wired side and as DHCP server or with fixed IP on the wireless side.
- Set to router mode
- Try a narrow channel width; 10 or 20MHz.
- Set the Distance to the shortest value.
Henry Cohen

CP Communications    www.cpcomms.com
Radio Active Designs   www.radioactiverf.com

Kirby Yarbrough

• SR Forums
  • Reston, Virginia
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2011, 10:16:48 AM »

- Bullet should be set to AP mode (not WDS), configured as DHCP client or with fixed IP on the wired side and as DHCP server or with fixed IP on the wireless side.
- Set to router mode
- Try a narrow channel width; 10 or 20MHz.
- Set the Distance to the shortest value.

Set following your suggestions, get the same result with DHCP or static IP addresses for LAN and WLAN.  iPad will not join the network with a 10 or 40 MHz channel width; went back to 20.  Noticed trying to connect StageMix produces a flat line TX throughput (0 bps), but there's a little jump to around 100 bps when trying RealVNC.  RX throughput peaks around 1Kbps for either.

Tiago de Sousa

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2019, 08:52:22 PM »

sorry for reviving an old thread, but while on the same topic at the moment.

Should AirMax be turned off always when using a bullet for console remote control?

David Sturzenbecher

• So. Dak.
    • Sturz Audio
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2019, 12:13:17 AM »

sorry for reviving an old thread, but while on the same topic at the moment.

Should AirMax be turned off always when using a bullet for console remote control?

The whole unit should be turned off and placed in the garbage.
Audio Systems Design Engineer
Daktronics, Inc.
CTS-D, CTS-I
AES Full Member

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2019, 06:16:28 AM »

That's where mine ended up >:(
I tried all the helpful suggestions and could not get a reliable setup.
I don't care enough to be apathetic

Andrew Broughton

• Check Check One Two
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2019, 12:07:04 PM »

Next time let me know - I'll be happy to pay for shipping and you can send them to me.
They are fantastic APs once you "upgrade" their firmware to DD-WRT.
-Andy

"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle..."

http://www.checkcheckonetwo.com
Saving lives through Digital Audio, Programming and Electronics.

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2019, 12:20:37 PM »

I'd suggest the dedicated Unifi AP Mesh/Pro for a more simple high availability/quality AP with easy setup.

Andrew, that's super cool! Didn't think about that.
I'm just a guy trying to do the next right thing.

This business is for people with too much energy for desk jobs and too much brain for labor jobs. - Scott Helmke

Peter Kowalczyk

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2019, 02:32:58 PM »

Haha!  I was about ready to pitch my Bullet M5 in the garbage; it was a royal pain to set up.  I eventually had an IT professional friend help me out.  He was stumped at first, did a bit of research, and came back with a solution.  It involved setting a narrow channel, and limiting available channels, I believe.  Since then, it's been rock solid for me at impressive range.

Kevin McDonough

« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2019, 03:21:38 PM »

Haha!  I was about ready to pitch my Bullet M5 in the garbage; it was a royal pain to set up.  I eventually had an IT professional friend help me out.  He was stumped at first, did a bit of research, and came back with a solution.  It involved setting a narrow channel, and limiting available channels, I believe.  Since then, it's been rock solid for me at impressive range.

Yeah it's defo possible to get them working well, I had the M2 version for years and it worked great.

But like any professional product, it has lots of options and settings which on the one hand is great but on the other you need a little bit of knowledge to get them to work properly.

First of all yes you defo have to turn AirMax off. Thats a special communication mode that Ubiquiti gear uses when one access point is talking directly to another, for beaming data from one building to another or across a city or something, it's not for normal devices to connect to.

As said above, set it to Access Point Mode. However I did tick to allow WDS bridge. This means that as well as the ipad talking to the desk which assess point mode allows, other devices can talk through the access point. For me that meant that I connected the laptop playing test tunes to the wifi as well and the ipad could control that too, letting me change tracks as I walked about.

In terms of power, when I first started I automatically ramped the power up as high as it could go, thinking this would give me best range. Dont lol.  The way it was described to me was its like someone shouting as loud as they can in a room. It's pretty hard for anyone else to talk, and the ipad needs to be able to talk back too. Go for a middle power setting to start with and adjust from there.

Set your SSID and password, and decide if you want the network private.

In terms of channel width. This is one that will take a little adjusting. A wide channel width passes more data, has more bandwidth, but is more susceptible to interference from other wifi devices in the area. A narrower channel width more robust and gives a more reliable connection, even if the bandwidth is a bit smaller.

After that it's down to IP addresses and understanding how that works (I know you may understand this but I'll type some general set up rules for anyone who doesn't and may be reading).

IP addresses can be manually set within the network, or can be dynamic, meaning they change. To use dynamic addresses, something in the network has to be in charge of doing this, and each time a new device comes onto the network this controller, the DHCP server, tells it what address to use.

Thats why you don't have to faff about with network addresses in your home network for example, the DHCP server is built into the router box given to you by your provider and when someone comes over with their phone or laptop and connects it sorts that all out.

However for your gig set up, the Bullet doesn't have a DHCP server built in, and neither does your desk or your iPad.  You may have a network switch within your system that does, but assuming not and assuming you're just plugging the Bullet straight into your desk, you're gonna need to set all the IP addresses manually.

There are two main things to set, the address and subnet. 

Subnet is the easy part, set it to 255.255.255.0 on everything.

For the address, home networks usually run on 192.168.0.xxx

where the xxx part has to be unique to each device. Now you don't have to use that exactly, you could use 192.168.15.xxx for example if you wanted, but the point is that you need to have the first 3 sets of digits the same for all devices, and they all need a unique last set to replace the xxx

In my set up I follow a system where the

My mixing desks are all in the 10s, so

182.168.0.12 etc

access points are all in the 20s, so

192.168.0.22 etc (I have a couple for different systems/desks/jobs)

laptops all have 30 something on the end, 31, 32 etc etc,

and so on, so everything has a fixed unique address.

Once all that is all set up and everything is all talking to each other, that's all the hard work done.
Then when you start your stagemix app, you're telling it whatever IP address you've set for the desk, telling it to go look for the desk at xxx address on the network, and it should connect.

Kev

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2019, 03:21:38 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 25 queries.