Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > LAB: The Classic Live Audio Board

more affordable boxes vs fewer expensive boxes

(1/2) > >>

Josh Bennett:
Let's say you are on a fly gig and the promoter has a limited budget. Your only option is between two mid sized line arrays. Would you rather have enough boxes to cover the venue properly, and satisfy your taste for spl, but may be classified as a budget box. Or would you rather have as little as half of the number of boxes (half the length) of a better known name brand more expensive option?

Mac Kerr:

--- Quote from: [email protected] on January 27, 2011, 04:33:15 PM ---Let's say you are on a fly gig

--- End quote ---

Please go to your profile and change the "name" field to your real full name as required by the posting rules.

Mac

Tim Weaver:

--- Quote from: Josh Bennett on January 27, 2011, 04:33:15 PM ---Let's say you are on a fly gig and the promoter has a limited budget. Your only option is between two mid sized line arrays. Would you rather have enough boxes to cover the venue properly, and satisfy your taste for spl, but may be classified as a budget box. Or would you rather have as little as half of the number of boxes (half the length) of a better known name brand more expensive option?

--- End quote ---

Without more info, this is an impossible question to answer. What size venue, what type music, what are the boxes in question?

I recently did a festival in a hotel ballroom that held about 750 people, for Bands That You Have Heard Of™ on a Vertec rig. Because of space and budget restraints I only had 3 a side. This was fine for coverage in this room and worked great for the country and folk acts, but for the rock bands it ran out of gas way too quickly. Part of the problem was the XTi6000 on low mids. I needed more.

So give us more info, especially the type of PA available and we can tell you exactly what you don't want to hear!  ;D

Josh Bennett:
coverage,
--- Quote from: Tim Weaver on January 27, 2011, 06:31:32 PM ---Without more info, this is an impossible question to answer. What size venue, what type music, what are the boxes in question?

I recently did a festival in a hotel ballroom that held about 750 people, for Bands That You Have Heard Of™ on a Vertec rig. Because of space and budget restraints I only had 3 a side. This was fine for coverage in this room and worked great for the country and folk acts, but for the rock bands it ran out of gas way too quickly. Part of the problem was the XTi6000 on low mids. I needed more.

So give us more info, especially the type of PA available and we can tell you exactly what you don't want to hear!  ;D

--- End quote ---

say half house in an arena, 3500 people assume both PA's with 90 degrees horizontal coverage, both are properly processed and powered

Tim Weaver:
Is there a problem with naming the boxes?

The TVI line array properly processed and powered will still not equal even a quarter of a Milo, Nexo, Vertec, or just about any other pro rig out there.

Plus, I would like to know if it's rock or folk, because the Peavey boxes will work for one and not the other. There's no way around this, you need to give us the info.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version