ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: advice on covering large outdoor area  (Read 9106 times)

Jeff Bankston

Re: advice on covering large outdoor area
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2011, 10:11:47 PM »

i picked up a few 400 watt metal halide highbays like you see in Home Depot , Lowes , and other stores with an exposed celing. heres a foto of one i used to light the car in the foto. they are probably the same as the type you rented. these have multi-tap ballast and i wired mine for 120v. they draw less current then a 500 watt halogen work light and produce way more light. i have seen these on ebay real cheap to. you could use someting like an a/c duct lift to hang them on or ?
« Last Edit: August 29, 2011, 10:15:11 PM by Jeff Harrell »

DanGlass

« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2011, 01:27:21 AM »

If you are going to do it with pars I would suggest side lighting the crowd and stage.  Putting the stands at each fornt corner of the stage ( to light the auctioneer) will probably work but you will get much less complaints if you move them farther away at the same angle.  This will keep them out of the eyes of the auctioneer while he is searching the crowd for bidders.  The crowd you can light from the exteme sides shining back at them.  This will keep the light out of their eyes while they are focusing on the stage.  Adding a very light diffusion will give you more coverage but be careful because it will cut down on the amount of light output.  If you are using LED pars they already do not put out alot of light.  Remember to add weight (i.e. sandbags) to the bottom of your stands because now you will have the lights in an area where the audience could be walking <cringe>.  Please do EVERYTHING you can to insure that the audience is safe and cant hurt themselves.  One of the tricks to getting the auctioneer to not feel blinded is to make sure the audience is lit slightly brighter than he is.  This will keep his eyes from focusing on the bright circles of light shining on him and stay focused on the crowd.  The difference is called contrast.  If you shine al light into someones eye as they are staring into darkness the iris of the eye will close down to block out the light causing you to squint but if the person is staring into a bright room the iris will not close as much and the person will feel more comfortable.  Sorry if I rambled.  I hope you have a great gig and make sure they realize that even if they did the event during the day you still have the bright sun to deal with.

Kyle Leonard

• Bozeman, MT
    • Enlightened Events
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2011, 12:16:50 PM »

This may sound a little different, but give it a try. Get a few strings of C7 christmas lights and buy white frosted bulbs. Each string can be 50' long for the cheap ones. I've used these type of lights for all kinds of things and they have great output. You can even put them on a dimmer. It works great.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2011, 12:16:50 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.023 seconds with 22 queries.