ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Need: 70V speaker desktop size  (Read 5075 times)

Joseph D. Macry

• Austin TX
Need: 70V speaker desktop size
« on: August 23, 2011, 04:11:22 PM »

Must find a speaker that fits following:
Desktop size, not ugly
Passive w/ 70V transformer
Need not be powerful, just enough for 1 listener in low-noise environment
Volume control onboard would be ideal
Joseph Macry,
Austin, TX

Hal Bissinger/COMSYSTEC

• COMSYSTEC
Re: Need: 70V speaker desktop size
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2011, 08:12:38 PM »

Unfortunately something like that went away with the drive-in movies (ok, thinking about it they were pretty ugly). Anything designed for 70 volt today is going to be for installed sound. You could retrofit a small monitor type speaker. The only other thing that comes to mind are the small JBL Control wall mount series (and the like)  that you might be able to use. Is this actually going to sit on a desk or something?

-Hal

John Moore

• "learning the hard way sucks donkey kong"
    • Trinity Productions
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2011, 12:32:20 PM »

USE THIS AND A 70V VOLUME CONTROL...
http://www.atlassound.com/Product.aspx?id=1435&pI=1425
http://www.trinityprosound.com 209-832-8023
DEALER:Dealer for Yorkville, EV, QSC, RCF, Danley Sound Labs, VTC, Allen & Heath, Ashly, Denon,  Audix, One Systems, Beyerdynamic, Presonus, K&M, Ultimate,  Trusst, Road Ready, Gator, Radial Engineering, Turbosound, dB Technologies, RCF, American Audio,  Rapco, CBI Cables, ADJ, Chauvet, Blizzard, Furman, Shure, Tascam, Elite Screens,  BenQ, Midas, Digico,  and many many more...

Brian Ehlers

• West Michigan
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2011, 05:48:12 PM »

The Renkus-Heinz TRC51 has long been a favorite of mine for low-power, small-space use.  16 Ohms, 60W, 93 dB sensitivity, about 10" x 6" x 6".  It's available in a 70-volt version with integral transformer.  I see that R-H lists it as "Legacy" now;  but I don't see any statements about it not being available.

Otherwise, there's no end of desktop-size, self-powered speakers out there with integral volume knob.  All you need to do is run the 70-V line through a resistor pad before connecting to the line input of the powered speaker.

John Moore

• "learning the hard way sucks donkey kong"
    • Trinity Productions
http://www.trinityprosound.com 209-832-8023
DEALER:Dealer for Yorkville, EV, QSC, RCF, Danley Sound Labs, VTC, Allen & Heath, Ashly, Denon,  Audix, One Systems, Beyerdynamic, Presonus, K&M, Ultimate,  Trusst, Road Ready, Gator, Radial Engineering, Turbosound, dB Technologies, RCF, American Audio,  Rapco, CBI Cables, ADJ, Chauvet, Blizzard, Furman, Shure, Tascam, Elite Screens,  BenQ, Midas, Digico,  and many many more...

drew gandy

• Chicago and burbs
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2011, 11:43:42 AM »

Must find a speaker that fits following:
Desktop size, not ugly
Passive w/ 70V transformer
Need not be powerful, just enough for 1 listener in low-noise environment
Volume control onboard would be ideal

I needed something similar and wasn't happy with what I found so I made my own. 
No volume control (except a 5db "dim" switch) but it's small and sounds pretty good, especially for voice.  But from my search I would suggest you look at the smallest QSC install speaker.  They were slightly larger than my unit but sounded nice and ended up being quite effective on cost (compared to other options).

-drew
Arrogance is usually far worse than ignorance. But every once in awhile they swap places.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2011, 11:43:42 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 21 queries.