ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Yorkville Elite Rig questions/help needed.  (Read 37641 times)

BobWitte

• Soundman, Consultant, Love all things audio
    • Cascading Waters Audio
Re: Yorkville Elite Rig questions/help needed.
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2011, 01:39:47 PM »

Also Double-check ALL cabling to make sure your "plus" and "minus" and 1+ and 2+ wiring is the same on all cables. A speaker or two phase reversed will cause this also. The same with any signal cables.

If this all checks out = +1 to renting amp(s) for a quick test or do you know someone with a larger amp?

AND if considering the 1850 vs. 2450 - error on the higher power side.

Alan Sledzieski

« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2011, 01:41:54 PM »

My school dance rig for DJs is 4 Yorkville E15 tops over 4 Yorkville LS808 subs.  I'm running 4 Crown XLS802 amplifiers to power it, and using the recommended Yorkville EP1215 processor for any crossover/EQing that is necessary.  The processor was recommended by both Yorkville and my dealer.  For my larger events I bridge the sub amps and run each bridged mono at 4 ohms...smaller events I just run the amps in stereo.

I typically run the tops in pairs off to each side of the stage sitting up on small scaffolding or moving head road cases, splayed slightly to help eliminate any comb filtering issues.  I usually run the subs center clustered on the floor directly in front of the stage.  The stages are usually anywhere from 18"-30" in height and sit 8-16 feet off the back wall.  As far as the center cluster goes - I just sit them all side by side - I don't stack any of them or lay any on their sides since Yorkville told me there shouldn't be any real noticeable difference.

I think I should be getting significantly more output from subs than I am - I don't know if its something I am doing wrong in setting my gains or if that processor isn't as good for the system as say a Driverack or similar processor would be.  The bass seems to fall off very quickly as you move away from the subs - you can hear it, but you don't feel it.  I was always under the impression this quasi-horn loaded design should allow the bass to carry further than a typical bass reflex (I could be wrong in that assumption - I'm not an expert at all).  I am not a sound pro by an means - I rarely ever provide sound for anything other than DJs and the occasional small wedding band/musician. 

I have wondered for a quite a while if I need to ditch the Crown XLS802s for QSC RMX2450s or 1850HDs?  I get conflicting information from Yorkville and Yorkville dealers so I have just left everything well enough alone for the time being.  At this point I either need to figure out how to get the most output possible from these subs, or sell the system and move into something else.

Have you tried moving the subs around in the room, like 2 18's per side, with the mid high box above them.  The room can have a lot to do with cancelations.
 As far as amps, I used to run four of the elite 800's, with a crest v or vs 1500 bridged on each box. Worked quite well.

Daniel Lozada

• Gulf South Productions
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2011, 01:57:04 PM »

Alan - the reason I was leaning towards the 1850hd over the 2450 was that QSC told me the 1850HD would be a better amp to run 4 ohms bridged on sub duty...Is that incorrect?

I have tried moving the boxes around the room without much change.  I would think if I was having phase issues I would have almost no bass output - that isn't the case at all.  There is output, but it just doesn't seem to carry very far at all.  Up close to the subs and behind the subs there is what seems to be plenty of output, but it just doesn't carry out onto the dance floor very well at all.
Gulf South Productions
PA: RCF HDL50/HDL30/HDL26/SUB9006, Dynacord Cobra, Dynacord Xa2, Nexo Geo S12, RS18
Consoles: Midas Pro2, Pro1, M32, M32R
RF: Shure UHF-R, PSM900, Professional Wireless
Lighting: Chauvet Professional
Lighting Control: Hog, Avo, Martin
Staging: Stageline, Staging Dimensions
Video: Blackmagic Design, Kramer, Decimator

Mississippi, US

Mike Pyle

• Santa Rosa, CA
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2011, 01:59:11 PM »

Daniel,

Are you able to light up the clip lights on the amps with the input you are giving them from the crossover?
Mike Pyle  Audiopyle Sound  707-315-6204
Dealer For: JBL, Soundcraft, Crown, dbx, AKG, Yorkville, EV, QSC, RCF, FBT, Danley Sound Labs, Meyer Sound, Fulcrum Acoustic, Tannoy, Lab Gruppen, Powersoft, Linea Research, EAW, Allen & Heath, Ashly, APB, Audix, One Systems, Presonus, K&M, Ultimate, Global Truss, Intellistage, SKB, Gator, Radial Engineering, Turbosound, Midas, dB Technologies, American DJ, Odyssey, ProCo, Rapco, CBI, Elation, Mipro, Chauvet, Blizzard, Shure, Whirlwind, Bassboss, Yamaha, Line 6, Behringer, On-Stage, more...

Fernando Lopez

Alan Sledzieski

« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2011, 02:30:39 PM »

What do yo have the 808's crossed at?, high pass low pass?
« Last Edit: August 28, 2011, 11:52:06 AM by Alan Sledzieski »

Daniel Lozada

• Gulf South Productions
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2011, 03:30:51 PM »

Daniel,

Are you able to light up the clip lights on the amps with the input you are giving them from the crossover?

Yeah if I run loud enough I can...I typically try to keep that from happening though...
Gulf South Productions
PA: RCF HDL50/HDL30/HDL26/SUB9006, Dynacord Cobra, Dynacord Xa2, Nexo Geo S12, RS18

Mississippi, US

Steven warner

« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2011, 05:00:27 PM »

I cant comment on the your crown amps Ive never used the xls. Back when I had 800's I started with a bridged crown ce2k from there switched to a peavey cs 4080 there was no comparison.  when I upgraded to 1208's i picked up a 2450 and tried it bridged into a single 1208 beside the other one running off the peavey, no real volume difference the 2450 just sounded thicker to my ears. I wouldn't worry about the 4ohm bridged load on the 2450 ive seen them run that way in some clubs every night for 5+ years.
              I would think the 4080 would also be an upgrade in your situation although maybe your just expecting to much from your rig? Just a thought

Daniel Lozada

• Gulf South Productions
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2011, 05:50:42 PM »

Steve - I have wondered a bit if I am expecting too much from the LS808s...I really do think the amps are the weak link in the signal chain at this point - they were a starter amp I have just never replaced.  I got a great deal on them so I haven't really been able to complain, but now I feel like I could do better.   

Maybe I need to replace amps and then add a couple more LS808s...6 of them would be very nice.
Gulf South Productions

Mississippi, US

Steven warner

« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2011, 06:06:55 PM »

Steve - I have wondered a bit if I am expecting too much from the LS808s...I really do think the amps are the weak link in the signal chain at this point - they were a starter amp I have just never replaced.  I got a great deal on them so I haven't really been able to complain, but now I feel like I could do better.   

Maybe I need to replace amps and then add a couple more LS808s...6 of them would be very nice.

I dont know what your budget is but maybe the 4080 is worth a try there are two refurbs in the market place right now, also you could rent to try something new out or buy from GC with the 30 day return

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2011, 06:06:55 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 24 queries.