ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Yorkville Elite Rig questions/help needed.  (Read 27790 times)

Daniel Lozada

• Gulf South Productions
Yorkville Elite Rig questions/help needed.
« on: August 22, 2011, 11:54:23 pm »

My school dance rig for DJs is 4 Yorkville E15 tops over 4 Yorkville LS808 subs.  I'm running 4 Crown XLS802 amplifiers to power it, and using the recommended Yorkville EP1215 processor for any crossover/EQing that is necessary.  The processor was recommended by both Yorkville and my dealer.  For my larger events I bridge the sub amps and run each bridged mono at 4 ohms...smaller events I just run the amps in stereo.

I typically run the tops in pairs off to each side of the stage sitting up on small scaffolding or moving head road cases, splayed slightly to help eliminate any comb filtering issues.  I usually run the subs center clustered on the floor directly in front of the stage.  The stages are usually anywhere from 18"-30" in height and sit 8-16 feet off the back wall.  As far as the center cluster goes - I just sit them all side by side - I don't stack any of them or lay any on their sides since Yorkville told me there shouldn't be any real noticeable difference.

I think I should be getting significantly more output from subs than I am - I don't know if its something I am doing wrong in setting my gains or if that processor isn't as good for the system as say a Driverack or similar processor would be.  The bass seems to fall off very quickly as you move away from the subs - you can hear it, but you don't feel it.  I was always under the impression this quasi-horn loaded design should allow the bass to carry further than a typical bass reflex (I could be wrong in that assumption - I'm not an expert at all).  I am not a sound pro by an means - I rarely ever provide sound for anything other than DJs and the occasional small wedding band/musician. 

I have wondered for a quite a while if I need to ditch the Crown XLS802s for QSC RMX2450s or 1850HDs?  I get conflicting information from Yorkville and Yorkville dealers so I have just left everything well enough alone for the time being.  At this point I either need to figure out how to get the most output possible from these subs, or sell the system and move into something else.
Gulf South Productions
PA: RCF HDL50/HDL30/HDL26/SUB9006, Dynacord Cobra, Dynacord Xa2, Nexo Geo S12, RS18
Consoles: Midas Pro2, Pro1, M32, M32R
RF: Shure UHF-R, PSM900, Professional Wireless
Lighting: Chauvet Professional
Lighting Control: Hog, Avo, Martin
Staging: Stageline, Staging Dimensions
Video: Blackmagic Design, Kramer, Decimator

Mississippi, US

Fernando Lopez

Re: Yorkville Elite Rig questions/help needed.
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2011, 07:45:26 am »

Hi Daniel, i had a similar problem with my danley subs. No matter what I did there was just not enough output. I finally discovered my problem, they were not getting enough electricity. I can tell you now that 2 th-118s will sound louder than 4 ev zx5s!!
How are you distributing electricity to your rack? Are your lights in a different phase than your amps? What gauge cables are you using for both electricit and audio?
« Last Edit: August 23, 2011, 08:03:35 am by Fernando Lopez »

alfredo cannon

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2011, 10:57:02 am »

My school dance rig for DJs is 4 Yorkville E15 tops over 4 Yorkville LS808 subs.  I'm running 4 Crown XLS802 amplifiers to power it, and using the recommended Yorkville EP1215 processor for any crossover/EQing that is necessary.  The processor was recommended by both Yorkville and my dealer.  For my larger events I bridge the sub amps and run each bridged mono at 4 ohms...smaller events I just run the amps in stereo.

I typically run the tops in pairs off to each side of the stage sitting up on small scaffolding or moving head road cases, splayed slightly to help eliminate any comb filtering issues.  I usually run the subs center clustered on the floor directly in front of the stage.  The stages are usually anywhere from 18"-30" in height and sit 8-16 feet off the back wall.  As far as the center cluster goes - I just sit them all side by side - I don't stack any of them or lay any on their sides since Yorkville told me there shouldn't be any real noticeable difference.

I think I should be getting significantly more output from subs than I am - I don't know if its something I am doing wrong in setting my gains or if that processor isn't as good for the system as say a Driverack or similar processor would be.  The bass seems to fall off very quickly as you move away from the subs - you can hear it, but you don't feel it.  I was always under the impression this quasi-horn loaded design should allow the bass to carry further than a typical bass reflex (I could be wrong in that assumption - I'm not an expert at all).  I am not a sound pro by an means - I rarely ever provide sound for anything other than DJs and the occasional small wedding band/musician. 

I have wondered for a quite a while if I need to ditch the Crown XLS802s for QSC RMX2450s or 1850HDs?  I get conflicting information from Yorkville and Yorkville dealers so I have just left everything well enough alone for the time being.  At this point I either need to figure out how to get the most output possible from these subs, or sell the system and move into something else.

If you go to crownaudio.com, the XLS 802 can ONLY be run with 8 ohm load on mono bridged. If you're running a 4 ohm load mono bridged, there's your problem. Get the RMX 2450. I have 2 Danley TH-115 4 ohm boxes and i use RMX 2450 mono bridged for each sub and they sound awesome. I also run them aux fed.

Daniel Lozada

• Gulf South Productions
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2011, 11:55:28 am »

If you go to crownaudio.com, the XLS 802 can ONLY be run with 8 ohm load on mono bridged. If you're running a 4 ohm load mono bridged, there's your problem. Get the RMX 2450. I have 2 Danley TH-115 4 ohm boxes and i use RMX 2450 mono bridged for each sub and they sound awesome. I also run them aux fed.

I've been running those amps in 4 ohms bridged from the start because they used to publish those amps with a 4 ohms bridged rating...All my original boxes listed a 4 ohms bridged rating of 2100 watts.  I bought my fourth amp about two years after the first three and noticed the rating was missing from the spec sheet.  I called the techs at Crown - they told me they dropped the rating from the newer production spec sheets because the amps were drawing too much power to qualify for the same UL listing or something to that effect.  They said the amps will run in 4 ohms bridged all day, but they will pull something like 15-18 amps each from the wall when doing so.

I keep all my lights/amps on separate circuits - I typically give lighting 2-3 circuits and sound 3-4 circuits if available. 

Whenever I do a large setup I typically try to put each sub amp on its on circuit if I am running them bridged.  I then put both amps running the tops on a circuit along with the Yorkville processor.  All the laptops, DJ rigs, and lighting controllers go on another circuit if at all possible.  If I don't have enough available circuits I will run the sub amps at 8 ohms stereo with a pair of subs on each (500w/channel) and double up my tops on a single amp at 4 ohms stereo (750w/channel). 

Are the XLS amps really that weak compared to a QSC RMX series?  I know they aren't an I-tech or Macrotech by any means, but they are fairly heavy, older style amp.

My dealer recommended that I set the sub crossover point on the Yorkville processor at 100 hz - is that fairly accurate?  I have often wondered if I would be better served by a Driverack...

As far as cables go - all power is routed thru custom built 12 awg SOOW cables.  All power runs are usually 25-50 feet.  All speaker cables are 12 awg Speakon to Speakon with the exception of the custom bridged sub cables I had made.  They are 10 awg Speakon to Speakon with the specific Speakon wiring to bridge the Crown amps.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2011, 12:22:20 pm by daniel lozada »
Gulf South Productions
PA: RCF HDL50/HDL30/HDL26/SUB9006, Dynacord Cobra, Dynacord Xa2, Nexo Geo S12, RS18

Mississippi, US

alfredo cannon

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2011, 12:27:47 pm »

I've been running those amps in 4 ohms bridged from the start because they used to publish those amps with a 4 ohms bridged rating...All my original boxes listed a 4 ohms bridged rating of 2100 watts.  I bought my fourth amp about two years after the first three and noticed the rating was missing from the spec sheet.  I called the techs at Crown - they told me they dropped the rating from the newer production spec sheets because the amps were drawing too much power to qualify for the same UL listing or something to that effect.  They said the amps will run in 4 ohms bridged all day, but they will pull something like 15-18 amps each from the wall when doing so.

I keep all my lights/amps on separate circuits - I typically give lighting 2-3 circuits and sound 3-4 circuits if available. 

Whenever I do a large setup I typically try to put each sub amp on its on circuit if I am running them bridged.  I then put both amps running the tops on a circuit along with the Yorkville processor.  All the laptops, DJ rigs, and lighting controllers go on another circuit if at all possible.  If I don't have enough available circuits I will run the sub amps at 8 ohms stereo with a pair of subs on each (500w/channel) and double up my tops on a single amp at 4 ohms stereo (750w/channel). 

Are the XLS amps really that weak compared to a QSC RMX series?  I know they aren't an I-tech or Macrotech by any means, but they are fairly heavy, older style amp.

My dealer recommended that I set the sub crossover point on the Yorkville processor at 100 hz - is that fairly accurate?  I have often wondered if I would be better served by a Driverack...
[/quot

Remember, if you're running speakon cable with bridge mono mode, you have to rewire one side of your speakon cable. Make sure you have a speakon with 4 terminals (+1, -1, +2, -2). Two pin  terminal speakon won't work. Make sure the end that you plug into the amp when mono bridged is wired at +1, +2 (not sure which color wire goes to what)
The end that plugs into the speaker is normal (+1, -1)And if you chain two 8 ohma cabs together speakon is also normal on both ends there, too. Only the end that plugs into the amp is different. Also make sure channel two attenuator is in off position (turned all the way down)

alfredo cannon

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2011, 12:28:58 pm »

[/quot

Remember, if you're running speakon cable with bridge mono mode, you have to rewire one side of your speakon cable. Make sure you have a speakon with 4 terminals (+1, -1, +2, -2). Two pin  terminal speakon won't work. Make sure the end that you plug into the amp when mono bridged is wired at +1, +2 (not sure which color wire goes to what)
The end that plugs into the speaker is normal (+1, -1)And if you chain two 8 ohma cabs together speakon is also normal on both ends there, too. Only the end that plugs into the amp is different. Also make sure channel two attenuator is in off position (turned all the way down)

my reply got mixed in with yours.

alfredo cannon

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2011, 12:34:06 pm »

my reply got mixed in with yours.

OOps, just read the last part of your previous post. Looks like you have the specific mono bridge wiring correct. Didn't read your entire post at first. Well, you got me. I don't know what the problem could be. Maybe re check the wiring?

Daniel Lozada

• Gulf South Productions
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2011, 12:47:41 pm »

I'm strongly considering a switch to QSC RMX series amps... I just need to decide if the RMX 1850HD or the RMX 2450 is the better match to these subs.  I get conflicting information from QSC, Yorkville, and my dealer.  The 1850HD should handle the 4 ohms bridged load better (I think?), but my dealer thinks I need the extra power of the 2450 bridged to run the subs effectively.
Gulf South Productions

Mississippi, US

Fernando Lopez

« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2011, 01:07:51 pm »

Can you rent a more powerful amp to see how the subs respond?

I run mine in stereo never bridged. You seem to have the good enough wiring and electricity for your system.

alfredo cannon

« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2011, 01:29:17 pm »

Can you rent a more powerful amp to see how the subs respond?

I run mine in stereo never bridged. You seem to have the good enough wiring and electricity for your system.

Just don't get a XLS 5000 in stereo. It's not a good amp for subs. I have both the XLS 5000 and the RMX 2450. The 2450 in mono bridged kicked ass over the 5000 in stereo for sub duty.
Make sure you have the switch on bridged on the 802 if you mono bridge. I have an 802 but I only use it for stage monitors. I'll try and run it mono bridged sometime this week on a Danley TH-115 and go head to head against a 2450. I'll give you the results in a few days.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2011, 01:29:17 pm »

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Up

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 24 queries.