ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Outdoor Sub Placement - will this work?  (Read 11502 times)

Ned Ward

• SR Forums
  • Redondo Beach, CA
    • Our band's page on Facebook
Re: Outdoor Sub Placement - will this work?
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2011, 07:06:49 PM »

Thanks to everyone for their responses; let me answer from the top:

John - Yellowjackets covered all exposed ground cables, both for audio, power, etc. throughout the grounds.

Heard DJ playing through it before our set, and the AV team was shading the upper tops on a different output fader, so there was less comb filtering. couldn't tell if there was more or less bass than usual.

4 per stand - that would be Ned The Novice talking - all the AV has in stock are either the VRX sub poles, or some Ultimate Support stands that were used for the satellite - no additional stands were sent over. For corp events normally no truss is hung, so no opportunity to fly them. As I said, normally 2 tops per stand on tops of sub is what we normally have. My bad.

Coverage area is about 50 square yards in front; but obviously OK for the sound to taper off so that picnic'ers who don't want music can move further away. Tent for eating was about 100' off the stage and sound dropped quickly, which was fine.

Chris - We have another gig Tuesday again; I'll check which VRX the tops are. Also this was posted in the Lounge originally and never moved...

Chris Carpenter

• Baton Rouge
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2011, 08:34:23 PM »

Also this was posted in the Lounge originally and never moved...

Yeah, for some reason I thought it was in the basement :/

Ned Ward

• SR Forums
  • Redondo Beach, CA
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2011, 08:40:56 PM »

No worries; thanks for the comments.

Show went well for all involved.

Mike Christy

• Southern Maine
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2011, 12:13:37 PM »

No worries; thanks for the comments.

Show went well for all involved.

But how was the power alley/nulls with the subs placed like that?

Mike

Ned Ward

• SR Forums
  • Redondo Beach, CA
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2011, 01:24:20 PM »

Mike - good question, and couldn't tell you since we were the band playing on stage and I wasn't running the audio nor was it my gear or placement. I posted just as a question to learn from for my own gear and to satisfy my own curiosity.

We finally had a good stage mix of amps and monitors; biggest change was setting our bass player's ampeg combo amp to fire across the stage, and giving our keyboard player his own SRM450 as a keyboard monitor up on a stand behind him. Kept the stage volume down and monitors a lot clearer for vocals.

Nils Erickson

• San Francisco
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2011, 02:17:38 AM »

That looks like the worst possible way to use the available gear.

I think I saw one worse way of doing it recently.  One box per stand, two stands right next to each other with the cabinets almost touching.  Repeat on the other side.

Needless to say, the engineer was having a hard time making one hand held wireless sound good.   ;D

That was 400 degrees of coverage for about 150 degrees of space.  Should be almost 3 times as good, right?

Mark Chrysostom

• Charleston, SC
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2011, 12:12:11 PM »

That looks like the worst possible way to use the available gear.

I think I saw one worse way of doing it recently.  One box per stand, two stands right next to each other with the cabinets almost touching.  Repeat on the other side.

Needless to say, the engineer was having a hard time making one hand held wireless sound good.   ;D

That was 400 degrees of coverage for about 150 degrees of space.  Should be almost 3 times as good, right?

This was VRX boxes? Amazing.

Nils Erickson

• San Francisco
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2011, 03:50:42 PM »

This was VRX boxes? Amazing.
[/quote]

Yeah, right?  It's like the concept of a manual is totally foreign to some people.  That, and the concept of using your ears.

Mark Chrysostom

• Charleston, SC
« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2011, 04:27:19 PM »

Even without a manual... I find it amazing that a tech of any sort can't figure out how those are supposed to go together. It's like audio Legos.

BobWitte

• Soundman, Consultant, Love all things audio
    • Cascading Waters Audio
« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2011, 01:05:08 PM »

Even without a manual... I find it amazing that a tech of any sort can't figure out how those are supposed to go together. It's like audio Legos.

A few weeks back we rented 4 VRX932's, 4 VRX918's, an amp rack with a dbx4800 and used two of our own SRX728's. Put two on a pole on a VRX918 on top of another VRX918 and along with our 728 next to them they sounded good. We were playing "up a hill" so the 30 degree vertical coverage was decent along with a fairly wide area, the system did fine. I cannot imagine why anyone would set up the way they did? And yes, a few minutes of research online answers all the questions needed to start with something logical and you can even model the SPL coverage (at least how far it will throw) on-line.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2011, 01:05:08 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.025 seconds with 25 queries.