ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Rig upgrade time  (Read 12439 times)

Jamin Lynch

• Corpus Christi, TX.
Re: Rig upgrade time
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2011, 07:55:16 PM »

Honestly 110db at 50'? There should be laws against that wherever you are. Here is something I was taught, always remember that even if you have earplugs your audience doesnt. 95 db at 50' is loud, specially if you can stand closer than that.

I've had backlines louder than that before the PA was turned on.

With the right guy hitting it, I've had snare drums louder than that before the PA was turned on.

With the right guy, or maybe the wrong guy.

Teddy Murphy

« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2011, 09:05:55 PM »

Well, I know that it will be painful up front, but I mostly mix metal and hardcore shows.  I get the occasional country act, rock act, or christian but I have been known for mostly metal due to the fact that I played in a regional touring metal act for years.  It's not what I like to be known for because, well, it's not my favorite music to mix.  I have been getting a lot of riders for band that are starting to ask for 110-120dB at FOH position, and I don't want to take the risk of not having enough rig to fill that room out for REALLY loud acts.

Jeffrey Knorr - JRKLabs.com

• JRKLabs.com
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2011, 09:09:44 PM »

Well, I know that it will be painful up front, but I mostly mix metal and hardcore shows.  I get the occasional country act, rock act, or christian but I have been known for mostly metal due to the fact that I played in a regional touring metal act for years.  It's not what I like to be known for because, well, it's not my favorite music to mix.  I have been getting a lot of riders for band that are starting to ask for 110-120dB at FOH position, and I don't want to take the risk of not having enough rig to fill that room out for REALLY loud acts.

Get ready to pull out your checkbook:
D&B C series
EAW KF650's
Danley SH46's
Turbosound Aspect

You need horn loaded boxes to pull that off well.

Jeff

Stu McDoniel

• Central Wisconsin...USA
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2011, 11:09:15 PM »

I post a lot around here about having adequate rig for show.  Well, the time has finally came to begin adding additional gear to my rig.  I currently have

4- JBL SRX722
4- JBL SRX728
1-Crown XTI1000 Highs
2-Crown MA3600 Mids
2-Crown MA12000i Subs
3-JBL MPRO 12" for front fill fed from 3 Crown XTI1000
DBX Driverack 260
Soundcraft GB4-40 channel
yamaha mc32-12
40 channel rapco split
plenty of comps/gates/limts/etc,. etc.

What I am looking for is a rig to be able to hit 110dB at 50 feet.  The room I will be working in quite frequently is about 85 feet from speakers to the back of the room and about 64 feet wide.  The ceiling is peaked at around 30 feet. 

I am looking for suggestions on how much more gear do you guys think I may need to add to achieve this.  any suggestions will help.  I was hoping that some guys have had similar rigs in similar scenarios and may be able to help.
If you go with horn loading you will increase output and be able to keep the amps and electronics you have.  Time to sell off the JBL stuff and go with horn loading...hands down

Tim Padrick

• Indianapolis
    • T.P. Audio
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2011, 01:59:45 AM »

Doesn't matter what kind of music, 110 average is WTFL.

Jean-Pierre Coetzee

• Classic LAB
  • Gauteng, South Africa
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2011, 04:43:02 AM »

Doesn't matter what kind of music, 110 average is WTFL.
Not average. Cont.
Really this is loud. If stage it too loud put what is not already there in the mix. Mixing above 95dbspl is dangerous. Just dont take the job for that, have a little pride and also show people you care for their health.
Audio Technician
Word & Life Church

"If you want "loud", then run a piece of sheet metal through a table saw------

If you want "watts"-then plug in a toaster"
- Ivan Beaver

Brad Weber

• Marietta, GA
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2011, 06:41:11 AM »

What I am looking for is a rig to be able to hit 110dB at 50 feet.

Perhaps the critical issue is what you mean by "hit 110dB"?  Is that momentary peaks of 110dB or is it 110dB average levels?  The acts you encounter may not have as much dynamics but with some music a
10-20dB Crest Factor is common, which can mean a significant difference between the peak level and the average level.  Also, is that 110dB overall or at every frequency?  Is it unweighted (Z weighting) or A or C weighted?  If they are simply saying 110dBSPL overall then that probably works in your favor.

Also consider that while inverse square law says 50' would be close to a 24dB loss compared to 1m, the reality is that in a typical indoor venue the actual loss will be less than that.  At the same time, the sensitivity and maximum output levels for the speakers are on axis, so the output will be lower off axis.  So the venue and whether you are looking at levels on axis or off axis can affect the results.

Jamin Lynch

• Corpus Christi, TX.
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2011, 07:12:49 AM »

I post a lot around here about having adequate rig for show.  Well, the time has finally came to begin adding additional gear to my rig.  I currently have

4- JBL SRX722
4- JBL SRX728
1-Crown XTI1000 Highs
2-Crown MA3600 Mids
2-Crown MA12000i Subs
3-JBL MPRO 12" for front fill fed from 3 Crown XTI1000
DBX Driverack 260
Soundcraft GB4-40 channel
yamaha mc32-12
40 channel rapco split
plenty of comps/gates/limts/etc,. etc.

What I am looking for is a rig to be able to hit 110dB at 50 feet.  The room I will be working in quite frequently is about 85 feet from speakers to the back of the room and about 64 feet wide.  The ceiling is peaked at around 30 feet. 

I am looking for suggestions on how much more gear do you guys think I may need to add to achieve this.  any suggestions will help.  I was hoping that some guys have had similar rigs in similar scenarios and may be able to help.

I don't think you will be able to just "add to" the system you already have and obtain those kind of SPL levels. You will most likely have to up grade to big boy gear.

I understand it's death metal, and the volume is usually much higher than my taste. But 120db?? I've received riders many times that have extreme SPL requirements, but it really turned out to be not a true requirement.....it was just to keep out the bottom feeders.

Josh Billings

« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2011, 07:46:57 AM »

I've got some Community SLS960s I'm looking to sell that will get stupid loud with VERY little power and sound really good doing it (141 db peaks) with using 2 per side you're looking at quite a bit of volume.

http://www.communitypro.com/files/literature/spec%20sheets/SLS960_SPEC.pdf

The SLS920s are an option too if you don't mind carrying around some bass boxes OR the SLS980 if weight / size aren't an issue. Then the old trusty KF850 (AKA the 3 person lift)

Josh Billings

Teddy Murphy

« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2011, 02:59:07 PM »

I really am considering selling off my 722's now and going up in speakers.  Leaning toward the Danley SH 46.  The community's look nice too but they may not be rider friendly.  Would the Danley's be rider friendly???

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2011, 02:59:07 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 24 queries.