Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > The Basement

Festival Security?

<< < (6/6)

No Name:
I find it amazing that there isnt a national regulatory body in the US for Security Companies.

It seems that, especially given past notorious 'security' related incidents that have occured at public events, this is a major oversight on behalf of the federal goverment.

For instance, if I was to hire a bonafide security company in the UK, I know, with out checking, that they are certified, insured, properly trained and that if there is a security related incident where someone is hurt, in most cases I cant be held responsible. 

In the US you have no idea whether your hiring a professional security provider, or 'Joe' from down the street who used to fight in bars at the weekend and now markets himself as a 'security professional'.  It seems that this would be especially important in the US, given the so called 'law suit' culture, as if anyone got hurt during the event, it could be argued that you didnt provide appropriate security, as 'Joe' hasnt recieved any training. 

Interesting.....

Tim McCulloch:

--- Quote from: Adam Finlayson on February 23, 2011, 12:02:50 AM ---I find it amazing that there isnt a national regulatory body in the US for Security Companies.

It seems that, especially given past notorious 'security' related incidents that have occured at public events, this is a major oversight on behalf of the federal goverment.

For instance, if I was to hire a bonafide security company in the UK, I know, with out checking, that they are certified, insured, properly trained and that if there is a security related incident where someone is hurt, in most cases I cant be held responsible. 

In the US you have no idea whether your hiring a professional security provider, or 'Joe' from down the street who used to fight in bars at the weekend and now markets himself as a 'security professional'.  It seems that this would be especially important in the US, given the so called 'law suit' culture, as if anyone got hurt during the event, it could be argued that you didnt provide appropriate security, as 'Joe' hasnt recieved any training. 

Interesting.....

--- End quote ---

It's that pesky US Constitution... the Federal government has no authority to regulate private security companies that do not operate in Interstate Commerce.  It's up to the individual states and local governments to license and regulate them so long as those firms work within their jurisdictions.

JonathanSmith:

--- Quote from: chris fletchall on January 27, 2011, 10:07:12 AM ---Our little company has been working a two day hippie festival for the past 3 years. Last year we found out that local security company was calling it quits and would no longer be doing crowd control.

So what do most of you guys do for crowd control security. This event is a BYOB camping event , gets a little rough at times.

I have contacted other local security companys in our area and they will not do crowd control.

This event is in Topeka, KS

--- End quote ---

The guys at 5280 Group are some of the best in the business. 5280group.net

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version