ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: needing SPEC sheets made / would it be worth it ?  (Read 6752 times)

Earl F Young

Re: needing SPEC sheets made / would it be worth it?
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2011, 09:58:06 PM »

Guess it could be that I just have a fever for getting the flavor of what these look like on paper. Ray Rayburn has e-mailed me back and offers a 100-20k service. If I have this done, i would like the graphs to be more on the side of a 20-20k reading (even though I realize the low end probably drops 3db @ 55Hz or so/ probably down 10dB @ 40Hz.)   

Any other contacts/ businesses people can think of?

again, THANKS!

My little common sense voice tells me to say...why?  If you have a mic and you are comparing it to a SM58 why in the world would you want to spend money to see a graph of the response of the mic?  Simply hook up an SM58 and do an AB test between your mic and the SM58.  By the way there
are way better dynamics then the SM58 and im hoping your mics are.

Mark Chrysostom

• Charleston, SC
Re: ? would it be worth it / need SPEC sheets made
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2011, 10:46:44 PM »

I think it's your money, waste it as you see fit.

Matthew Knischewsky

• Kitchener Ontario Canada
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2011, 11:04:29 PM »

What model mics are they? someone somewhere might just have the info you need.

Earl F Young

« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2011, 11:44:48 PM »

this is my V8 moment... serial-numbered American-made Conneaut Audio Devices model 90's made ?early-to-mid 1990's (hence the name?)

Grand Funk Railroad was one of their endorser's and it was touted as the "sound of the great American band" ?

What model mics are they? someone somewhere might just have the info you need.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2011, 12:48:42 AM by Earl F Young »

Justice C. Bigler

• SR Forums
  • Tulsa, Oklahoma
    • My homepage
Re: needing SPEC sheets made / would it be worth it ?
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2011, 01:00:13 AM »

Earl, why do you care about the response curve of these mics? What are you trying to prove? That they sound better, or have a flatter response than an SM58? If so, why? Are you trying to sell these to rental customers instead of the 58s?

If they sound good to you, and your clients like the way you mix their shows, then what's the big deal? You're going to spend several hundred dollars for a couple sheets of paper that have only an arbitrary use in their real world application.
Justice C. Bigler
Business Rep, IATSE Local 354
www.justicebigler.com

Charlie Zureki

• South Eastern Michigan (near Windsor)
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2011, 01:39:54 AM »

Earl, why do you care about the response curve of these mics? What are you trying to prove? That they sound better, or have a flatter response than an SM58? If so, why? Are you trying to sell these to rental customers instead of the 58s?

If they sound good to you, and your clients like the way you mix their shows, then what's the big deal? You're going to spend several hundred dollars for a couple sheets of paper that have only an arbitrary use in their real world application.

Hello,

the poster originally asked for the spec sheet (polar plot, freq plot, etc) for a mic that is not manufactured anymore.  He never states whether he's contacted "CAD" (Conneaut Audio Devices) to inquire whether they have the specs on file...he only states that they import a lot of their product now.

By the way...  I have to ask the reason these mics are NOT made anymore.....  They're not made anymore because they either did not sell,(meaning they're not desirable) or, there was mechanical or electrical problems that the company could not solve.

Then, he goes on...asking for a source to have these mics documented.  When a couple of sources for possible testing and documentation are posted, and then...a very good suggestion of having someone in his local area test them with Smaart...he seems to up the ante asking for more suggestions.

As many learned professionals explained to him that the specs do not actually indicate how the mics "sound"... he doesn't seem to understand.   What makes this whole thread a laugh is that he knows that the "low end drops 3dB at 55hz or so/ probably down 10 dB @ 40hz"

Where does he come up with those numbers?

Contact CAD!   If they can't help you.....then, it shows the ACTUAL value of these microphones.

Hammer

Do it the right way....don't be a Dino!

Earl F Young

« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2011, 01:42:37 AM »

Not trying to "prove" anything, except for what they graph out to be. I do not use them much for production, more of an occasional request. These are "redheaded step-children" and treat them well/ ask them to do anything a documented, legally graphed sibling should be able do, so to speak...
I would like to at least obtain a cut-sheet for the model, if not also specific TEF sheets for the ones I have...
Real-world= they sound good on the right vocalist, just like any other mic- SM58 or ____ might.

Again, trying to find a provider for this service/ not argue a point.

THANKS for your replies!

Earl F Young

« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2011, 03:45:23 AM »

i am not trying to be difficult, simple or ridiculous; would it make a difference if i was trying to get a ?German-made vintage LDC spec'd?      because it is a handheld, dynamic- is that a reason to blow off the issue? even if nobody else on the PSWForum thought it was important or not, my question or posting was essentially: Where to get a mic SPEC'd for frequency response only.

without the model A and T cars, i doubt we would have evolved this far/ not good to always write-off or dismiss the past.

i have placed an e-mail to CAD and will call them Wednesday of this week if I do not see a reply back from them...

Thank you for your time,   earl F  young

ps:   generic specs as described: came from a Product Brochure i was able to find, but it is not really what I am after. I do not care about polar plot, etc...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hello,

the poster originally asked for the spec sheet (polar plot, freq plot, etc) for a mic that is not manufactured anymore.  He never states whether he's contacted "CAD" (Conneaut Audio Devices) to inquire whether they have the specs on file...he only states that they import a lot of their product now.

By the way...  I have to ask the reason these mics are NOT made anymore.....  They're not made anymore because they either did not sell,(meaning they're not desirable) or, there was mechanical or electrical problems that the company could not solve.

Then, he goes on...asking for a source to have these mics documented.  When a couple of sources for possible testing and documentation are posted, and then...a very good suggestion of having someone in his local area test them with Smaart...he seems to up the ante asking for more suggestions.

As many learned professionals explained to him that the specs do not actually indicate how the mics "sound"... he doesn't seem to understand.   What makes this whole thread a laugh is that he knows that the "low end drops 3dB at 55hz or so/ probably down 10 dB @ 40hz"

Where does he come up with those numbers?

Contact CAD!   If they can't help you.....then, it shows the ACTUAL value of these microphones.

Hammer

Charlie Zureki

• South Eastern Michigan (near Windsor)
« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2011, 09:43:14 AM »

i am not trying to be difficult, simple or ridiculous; would it make a difference if i was trying to get a ?German-made vintage LDC spec'd?      because it is a handheld, dynamic- is that a reason to blow off the issue? even if nobody else on the PSWForum thought it was important or not, my question or posting was essentially: Where to get a mic SPEC'd for frequency response only.

without the model A and T cars, i doubt we would have evolved this far/ not good to always write-off or dismiss the past.

i have placed an e-mail to CAD and will call them Wednesday of this week if I do not see a reply back from them...

Thank you for your time,   earl F  young

ps:   generic specs as described: came from a Product Brochure i was able to find, but it is not really what I am after. I do not care about polar plot, etc...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hello,

in your title of the post you state: "needing SPEC sheets made" and then.... "would it be worth it?" 

The first part of your title has been answered, as to where and who can test and document your mics.   

Then, asking for opinions in regards to whether testing and documenting your mics: "would it be worth it?"    Many have offered their opinions (probably not) .... but apparently, it IS WORTH IT TO YOU.

Now (again) ...if it's worth it to you, have them tested and documented.   Your questions HAVE been answered.

Hammer
« Last Edit: August 22, 2011, 09:46:08 AM by Charlie Zureki »
Do it the right way....don't be a Dino!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2011, 09:43:14 AM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 25 queries.