ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Conference Sound  (Read 3737 times)

Ian Appleby

Conference Sound
« on: August 19, 2011, 09:10:13 AM »

I'm doing sound for a church Conference. The question is should i use wind screens even tho they dont like them. ? i know it will cut down on the popping..  But they dont like them? Do what the clients wants?

Ian Appleby
Dynacord Cobra 2 / EV Phoenix, ZX3 / A&H QU32

Geoff Doane

• Halifax, NS
Re: Conference Sound
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2011, 09:47:18 AM »

I don't like them either, but there's no better way to stop popping from happening.

If they've already said they don't want them, I'd start off without, and have some ready to put on the mics when the popping gets too intolerable.  Simply rolling off the low end can help, but it can't cure the problem completely, and damages the sound quality in other ways.

GTD

Ian Appleby

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2011, 01:45:29 PM »

I don't like them either, but there's no better way to stop popping from happening.

If they've already said they don't want them, I'd start off without, and have some ready to put on the mics when the popping gets too intolerable.  Simply rolling off the low end can help, but it can't cure the problem completely, and damages the sound quality in other ways.

GTD

The worst of it is they wanted monitors for the choir. I told  them this is a no no.. I rang it out the best I could to get as much gain as possible.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2011, 02:39:26 PM by Ian Appleby »
Ian Appleby

Jordan Wolf

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2011, 02:52:01 PM »

The worst of it is they wanted monitors for the choir. I told  them this is a no no...
There's nothing innately wrong with monitors for the choir - it's nice to hear the music you are singing along to if the source is electronic or a fair distance away. 

The mistake most people make is trying to put the choir themselves into the monitors.  If the members of the choir can't hear each other and blend based off of that, there needs to be more leadership from the director in that matter.
Jordan Wolf
<><

"We want our sound to go into the soul of the audience, and see if it can awaken some little thing in their minds... Cause there are so many sleeping people." - Jimi Hendrix

Geoff Doane

• Halifax, NS
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2011, 03:46:00 PM »

There's nothing innately wrong with monitors for the choir - it's nice to hear the music you are singing along to if the source is electronic or a fair distance away. 

Except that usually they want the monitors so loud that's all you can hear in the choir mics.  ::)

I've had fairly good success with the monitors behind the back row of singers (singers on risers).  Sort of a "butt fill" technique.  The bodies tend to cut down on the bleed.

It sounds like you may be dealing with some unreasonable expectations.

GTD

Ian Appleby

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2011, 12:02:56 AM »

Except that usually they want the monitors so loud that's all you can hear in the choir mics.  ::)

I've had fairly good success with the monitors behind the back row of singers (singers on risers).  Sort of a "butt fill" technique.  The bodies tend to cut down on the bleed.

It sounds like you may be dealing with some unreasonable expectations.

GTD

I have no problem putting music into a monitor for them, but they want to here them self. I've tried exposing it to them. I was gonna try side filling ,but a butt fill might be the best solution. I was told im not professional if I can't do it. You just can't win.

ian
Ian Appleby

Jordan Wolf

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2011, 09:22:51 AM »

I have no problem putting music into a monitor for them, but they want to here them self. I've tried exposing it to them. I was gonna try side filling ,but a butt fill might be the best solution. I was told im not professional if I can't do it. You just can't win.

ian
I think you may just have to do what they want to prove to them that it's not going to work the way they expect it to.

Don't take their ears off, but I say if they ask for more and it causes feedback, let it ring for a little bit.  Tell them that that is the limit to how loud you can get it and that's all there is.

And as far as the "you're not professional if you can't do it" - either ignore it and move on or bring it up to them.  Whatever you do, don't stew over it - it'll just come out in some frustrating area later on.  I, personally, would just let it go because I know the limitations I'm faced with, and they're certainly not my own: they are the system's (and also the ability (or lack thereof) of the talent to interface with it effectively).  We can only do so much with what we're given.  An ad hominem attack is unnecessary and a retort even moreso.
Jordan Wolf
<><

"We want our sound to go into the soul of the audience, and see if it can awaken some little thing in their minds... Cause there are so many sleeping people." - Jimi Hendrix

Jamin Lynch

• Corpus Christi, TX.
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2011, 07:08:42 PM »

I'm doing sound for a church Conference. The question is should i use wind screens even tho they dont like them. ? i know it will cut down on the popping..  But they dont like them? Do what the clients wants?

Train them on proper mic technique.

Ian Appleby

« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2011, 02:44:32 PM »

We had a Grammy award winning singer at the conference. He even said that same thing. They didn't listen to him either. Oh wells.. I've decide to ditch the condensers and just place as many dynamic vocal mics on stage as I can. Looks like Shit... but it gives them what they need.
Ian Appleby

Mark Chrysostom

• Charleston, SC
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2011, 04:28:55 PM »

We had a Grammy award winning singer at the conference. He even said that same thing. They didn't listen to him either. Oh wells.. I've decide to ditch the condensers and just place as many dynamic vocal mics on stage as I can. Looks like Shit... but it gives them what they need want.

Fixed it for you.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2011, 04:28:55 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 25 queries.