ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: How do you organize your digital music  (Read 13206 times)

George Friedman-Jimenez

• NYC
Re: How do you organize your digital music
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2011, 01:33:35 PM »

etc.

Dude - concrete is good.

Chris, does MP3Tag work for wav files?

Chris Davis

• SR Forums
  • USA
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2011, 02:14:59 PM »

Dude - concrete is good.

Chris, does MP3Tag work for wav files?

George, it doesn't seem to.  The program has a list of file extension that you can edit, and .wav files are not in there.  In fact I don't think I've heard of .wav files being used to store tag information.

George Friedman-Jimenez

• NYC
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2011, 12:47:16 AM »

Thanks, Chris. I generally stick to wav files if I can, and don't often use MP3s.

Steve Kennedy-Williams

• Kennedy-Williams.net
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2011, 02:50:40 PM »

Thanks, Chris. I generally stick to wav files if I can, and don't often use MP3s.

May I suggest FLAC files? They are 60% of the size of an uncompressed WAV file, will match md5 checksums when compressed / unpacked to wav (truly lossless format) and support META information.

Many programs support playing them, utilities are free to encode and batch encode.

Or in a Mac/iTunes world, Apple has Apple Lossless which is a codec that has the same features. Lossless, metatags, smaller file size.

Chris Carpenter

• Baton Rouge
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2011, 03:37:21 PM »

May I suggest FLAC files? They are 60% of the size of an uncompressed WAV file, will match md5 checksums when compressed / unpacked to wav (truly lossless format) and support META information.

Many programs support playing them, utilities are free to encode and batch encode.

Or in a Mac/iTunes world, Apple has Apple Lossless which is a codec that has the same features. Lossless, metatags, smaller file size.
The idea of flac is pretty cool, unfortunately they are very cumbersome for me. They don't play in dss dj, they don't play on my blackberry, and they don't play in WMP without plugins.

Tracy Garner

« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2011, 10:16:18 PM »

+1 on the recommendation. MP3Tag is an incredibly useful little program. My personal favorite is the ability to build tags from the filename, and vice versa. I have tried the playlist idea, and so far, it is the one I use most of the time. It still has its quirks, though, so we'll see.

I use MP3Tag as well but ONLY for supertagging. I actually use Serato ScratchLive to DJ with. I don't know many who don't use that program for Djing at this time.

Organizing my music in a Windows or Mac directory is different.

I file my songs by genre and then by add date YYMM in a folder. If I were to crash, it helps me understand where to start looking to restore. I use Serato during actual performance and can lookup by pretty much anything I tagged the song by (artist, title, album, genre, BPM). I also store certain collections in Serato crates for ease in browsing. 

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2011, 10:16:18 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.055 seconds with 22 queries.