ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Comb filter  (Read 7562 times)

Greg_Cameron

• Cameron Pro Audio
Re: Comb filter
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2011, 12:13:55 PM »

I also love how nothing is strapped down and that stack of line elements is on a caster board at the edge of a lipless stage. Talk about a liability issue.

Greg
"Procrastinators of the world - contemplate uniting!"

Cameron Pro Audio

Chris Carpenter

• Baton Rouge
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2011, 12:42:04 PM »

How exactly do you get that much rig and still not know how to use it?

Nils Erickson

• San Francisco
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2011, 12:43:46 PM »

I also love how nothing is strapped down and that stack of line elements is on a caster board at the edge of a lipless stage. Talk about a liability issue.

Greg
Oh, Greg... it gets better.  The line array boxes on the side are QSC.  They were "strapped" to the Mackie sub next to it with a bungee cord wrapped through the handle.  If the array fell, it would have toppled the sub and Mackie box on top of it as well. 

My first thought was that they would use this mess as some kind of parallel PA, but no, it was full on all the time.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2011, 12:50:32 PM by Nils Erickson »

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2011, 01:11:24 PM »

That's not a comb filter, it's a brush filter.

JR
edit- actually if they were sending different mixes to the different stacks (ala Dave RAT) the only combing would be from common signals that could be kept in check.

a vocal stack, a drum/bass stack, a lead guitar/keys stack
[/edit]
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

Nils Erickson

• San Francisco
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2011, 01:30:46 PM »

edit- actually if they were sending different mixes to the different stacks (ala Dave RAT) the only combing would be from common signals that could be kept in check.

a vocal stack, a drum/bass stack, a lead guitar/keys stack
[/edit]
If only...  A quick look behind showed me that they were all chained together, save the QSC (I couldn't see how it was hooked up at a glance since it was the only passive component).  But, the sound told the whole story.

John Roberts {JR}

• Resotune
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2011, 01:52:25 PM »

OK, so brush filter it is...

JR

John Moore

• "learning the hard way sucks donkey kong"
    • Trinity Productions
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2011, 02:16:24 PM »

I have a buddy I do sound with and he has done the same thing and it drives me frick'n nuts, that some guys just don't get it. More speakers of different types don't sound better or produce more sound or throw farther if you stack them, with all of them having different sonic qualities. At least use the same speakers/cabs. I see this all the time in some of the small festivals we do as well. The sound guys or DJ puts out everything they own on the stage. The attached is one that I had the pleasure of chuckl'ing over in the last few weeks. A sideways JBL line array the City Theater did at a local concert in the park. So the way they have this configured, it is 100 degrees vertical and each box is 15 degrees, so we have a coverage patter of maybe 75 degrees by 100, so it is to make sure the people right in front by the speakers will get good coverage like the smattering of people at 75-100 feet back...really !, and these guys are supposed to be sound engineers? Ya think ?
« Last Edit: February 09, 2012, 12:39:18 AM by John Moore »
http://www.trinityprosound.com 209-832-8023
DEALER:Dealer for Yorkville, EV, QSC, RCF, Danley Sound Labs, VTC, Allen & Heath, Ashly, Denon,  Audix, One Systems, Beyerdynamic, Presonus, K&M, Ultimate,  Trusst, Road Ready, Gator, Radial Engineering, Turbosound, dB Technologies, RCF, American Audio,  Rapco, CBI Cables, ADJ, Chauvet, Blizzard, Furman, Shure, Tascam, Elite Screens,  BenQ, Midas, Digico,  and many many more...

Tracy Garner

« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2011, 02:32:53 PM »

I have a buddy I do sound with and he has done the same thing and it drives me frick'n nuts, that some guys just don't get it. More speakers of different types don't sound better or produce more sound or throw farther if you stack them, with all of them having different sonic qualities. At least use the same speakers/cabs. I see this all the time in some of the small festivals we do as well. The sound guys or DJ puts out everything they own on the stage. The attached is one that I had the pleasure of chuckl'ing over in the last few weeks. A sideways JBL line array the City Theater did at a local concert in the park.

Amen:

I did a few shows with a guy where I was using JBL725/728 and he demanded to ALSO use his EV MTL1x/PeaveySP3/EVSx500. Then he was upset with the promoters when they didn't even allow him to bid on the festival the next year. He couldn't imagine why they didn't consider him the next year....crazy.

Jamin Lynch

• Corpus Christi, TX.
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2011, 04:24:57 PM »

Seems like a cheaper way to do this would be to use only one sound system and insert a flanger on the mix bus.

At least, that is what this rig sounded like as I walked sideways from FOH.

:o

Oh, but it just looks big and loud, so it must be good.

John Roberts {JR}

• Resotune
« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2011, 05:25:22 PM »

Seems like a cheaper way to do this would be to use only one sound system and insert a flanger on the mix bus.

At least, that is what this rig sounded like as I walked sideways from FOH.

:o

Oh, but it just looks big and loud, so it must be good.

Don't think that doesn't matter to a certain mentality...

The same kind that spec a sound system in watts instead of SPL.

JR

JR

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2011, 05:25:22 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 23 queries.