ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: 131st AES NYC 2011  (Read 9737 times)

Henry Cohen

• Westchester Co., NY, USA
131st AES NYC 2011
« on: January 26, 2011, 08:09:25 PM »

It's that time of year again, when the AES convention Live Sound Session chairs (Mac and me) attempt to put together a program to entice all of you to give up jobs, loved ones and hard earned money for three to four days to attend the AES convention in the world's 29th most expensive city.

So what subjects are of interest and might actually get you to attend? Or, if you attended either or both of the last two conventions in SF and/or NYC, what do you feel worked or didn't work?
NYC 2009
SF 2010

(Let us pre-empt the perennial request for a line array, or any type of hardware shoot-out: It's not going to happen. Costs and logistics are simply too excessive to make this a reality, as well as a lack of perceived sense of fairness.)

We already have some topics in mind and will update the community as these become viable. Thank you in advance for your input.

Henry Cohen
Mac Kerr
Co-Chairs, Live Sound
131st AES Convention
20-23 October 2011
New York, NY
« Last Edit: January 26, 2011, 08:17:42 PM by Mac Kerr »
Henry Cohen

CP Communications    www.cpcomms.com
Radio Active Designs   www.radioactiverf.com

Justice C. Bigler

• SR Forums
  • Tulsa, Oklahoma
    • My homepage
Re: 131st AES NYC 2011
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2011, 04:28:03 PM »

I want an indepth comprehensive RF seminar, perhapse two: one dealing with practical and real world deployment issues and practices, the other theory based and to include all the new legal shit we have to deal with. If it were a whole day long session, that would be even better.

Other topics I'd like to see are modern matrix style coms systems and a sort of console pogramming/automation tips, tricks, and best practices. A non-manufacturer specific system tuning and alignment workshop would be great also.

But most of all I want that RF workshop. If you were teaching it, I'd gladly make the trip to NYC for it.
Justice C. Bigler
Business Rep, IATSE Local 354
www.justicebigler.com

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2011, 06:11:35 PM »

I want an indepth comprehensive RF seminar, perhapse two: one dealing with practical and real world deployment issues and practices, the other theory based and to include all the new legal shit we have to deal with. If it were a whole day long session, that would be even better.

Other topics I'd like to see are modern matrix style coms systems and a sort of console pogramming/automation tips, tricks, and best practices. A non-manufacturer specific system tuning and alignment workshop would be great also.

But most of all I want that RF workshop. If you were teaching it, I'd gladly make the trip to NYC for it.

While nothing has been decided yet, I think it is safe to say that wireless microphones will be covered. This is both an important subject, and a topical one. There have been big changes in past couple of years, and how that effects us as users is sure to be covered at AES 131.

When we have tried to include comm in the past it has been a hard sell. It is also important to us to get out information to as many people as we can. Comm as a workshop topic is not so popular. That said, I will be at the convention every day, and Riedel will probably have a booth, as I am sure they will be pushing Rocknet. I would be happy to sit down with you at some point and talk about why we use certain types of comm in certain situations, and what kinds of things you can do with a digital matrix comm system.

Both Henry and I would like all the workshops to be not manufacturer focussed, but technique or issue focussed perhaps with manufacturer support. Keep the ideas coming, we don't want to have to think this all up ourselves. We're still early in the process, but now is when we get to toss around ideas to see what we think will make a complete program.

Mac

Rick Earl

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2011, 09:55:07 PM »

+1

Also round table discussion on networked audio - specifically AVB and AVnu alliance.  I know that you don't want to be manufacturer focused, and I agree, but this seems to be the direction we are heading.

Mac Kerr

• Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2011, 10:24:31 PM »

Also round table discussion on networked audio - specifically AVB and AVnu alliance.  I know that you don't want to be manufacturer focused, and I agree, but this seems to be the direction we are heading.

In addition to RF, the other topic sure to be covered is networked audio distribution. I too believe this is where we're headed. Nothing is finalized yet, but these are 2 important topics.

Mac

Mac Kerr

• Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2011, 10:28:14 PM »

Does anyone who has attended any of the live sound events at any of the past 4 or 5 US AES conventions felt that there were better ways to present topics? Or anyone who has attended the other European convention and has ideas that would apply to the US convention. We have traditionally used the panel and moderator format in order to get several viewpoints available in the discussion. Is there any feeling that there may be another way to present ideas and discussion?

While we are early in the process of organizing a convention that is still 8 months away, we do hope to have the majority of our sessions pretty solid in the next month or two. Some things have to wait to be finalized till touring pros know what their fall schedule will be like, but we want to get our ideas and time slots on the org charts early.

This is your chance to suggest ideas you think would be helpful and informative to you.

Mac

Jonathan Novick

• Alteros, Inc.
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2011, 08:29:50 AM »

How about a session on what really went wrong at the SuperBowl half time show. Of course, by the time AES comes around, they are pretty busy planning the next show.
When man makes something idiot proof, nature invents a better idiot.
-------------------------------------------------------
Alteros, Inc. - www.alteros.tech

tim.j.phillips

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2011, 10:08:09 AM »

I am kind of new to these forums so correct me if I am not on the right track.
I believe a great topic would be a discussion on the various computer programs (studio manager, system architect, etc) and their applications in various settings would be novel.  I know they tend to be fairly straight forward programs but everyone uses them in different scenarios and settings with a variety of different set ups and configurations. 
Yes, I really do know what all these buttons do

Bonnie Lackey

• Bonnie Lackey's Website
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2011, 01:14:41 PM »

I would ask my panels to discuss the "nuts and bolts" of their subject but then leave enough time for real world experiences and a give and take with the audience. 

With the ability to put together powerpoint presentations so easily, it always furthers education to see what panelists are talking about. 

The good news is we are now in 2011, not 2010.
Bonnie Lackey
Proline / Avidex AV
Seattle
In the Production Industry since 1979

Paul Tucci

• SR Forums
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2011, 10:10:08 PM »

Henry,

Here's a thought in response to your request. 

What if in the course of a workshop, you present a couple people's different approaches to RF coordination at a large scale event. To make it interesting, define the place and the gear upfront. Those with prediction programs can have a stab at solving the puzzle upfront.

PT

Nicolas Lowman

« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2011, 02:51:46 PM »

I would be most interested in seeing some discussions available in a video/web friendly form. Often times when I look at the topics available on some of these events there are only a couple that are of interest to me and that makes it difficult to justify the travel for just those few discussions.

Nicolas

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2011, 03:17:36 PM »

Does anyone who has attended any of the live sound events at any of the past 4 or 5 US AES conventions felt that there were better ways to present topics? Or anyone who has attended the other European convention and has ideas that would apply to the US convention. We have traditionally used the panel and moderator format in order to get several viewpoints available in the discussion. Is there any feeling that there may be another way to present ideas and discussion?

While we are early in the process of organizing a convention that is still 8 months away, we do hope to have the majority of our sessions pretty solid in the next month or two. Some things have to wait to be finalized till touring pros know what their fall schedule will be like, but we want to get our ideas and time slots on the org charts early.

This is your chance to suggest ideas you think would be helpful and informative to you.

Mac

What I find interesting is when you can assemble at least two, but the more the better, industry experts in a given field. The dueling experts tend to keep each other honest, so you get less hyperbole but real insights into the hard questions.

The AES is a good show for this because most companies bring real engineers, not just sales pukes. I'll leave it to others to decide what is hot this year. Personally I'd be more interested in a hands-on comparison of watering holes with good dark beer selections in Manhattan.  8)

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

Mac Kerr

• Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2011, 03:59:40 PM »

What I find interesting is when you can assemble at least two, but the more the better, industry experts in a given field. The dueling experts tend to keep each other honest, so you get less hyperbole but real insights into the hard questions.

The AES is a good show for this because most companies bring real engineers, not just sales pukes. I'll leave it to others to decide what is hot this year. Personally I'd be more interested in a hands-on comparison of watering holes with good dark beer selections in Manhattan.  8)

JR

That comes free of charge.

Mac

Brian Oppegaard

• SpeakerPower Inc
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2011, 08:15:37 PM »

JR

This looks like a good place to plug my Class D Solutions panel Saturday at 5pm. Real engineers, real world problems and hopefully some solutions. Bring your questions for the engineers from Hypex, Power Physics and others. And your knowledge of local Imperial Russian Stouts on tap...
Brian Oppegaard
SpeakerPower Inc.
www.speakerpower.net

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2011, 09:52:10 PM »

If Bruno is going to be there maybe we should consider some Belgium tripls in his honor?   :-)

JR

Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

Brian Oppegaard

• SpeakerPower Inc
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2011, 11:56:23 AM »

If Bruno is going to be there maybe we should consider some Belgium tripls in his honor?   :-)

JR

He will be there. I can't speak for the Tripel.
Brian Oppegaard
SpeakerPower Inc.
www.speakerpower.net

Mac Kerr

• Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2011, 03:11:24 PM »

It's that time of year again, when the AES convention Live Sound Session chairs (Mac and me) attempt to put together a program to entice all of you to give up jobs, loved ones and hard earned money for three to four days to attend the AES convention in the world's 29th most expensive city.

The calendar has been published, and is available online HERE. If you mouse over a session the details pop up. There may still be last minute changes as people's schedules change, but this should be very close.

Mac

Mac Kerr

• Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2011, 08:34:10 AM »

The calendar has been published, and is available online HERE. If you mouse over a session the details pop up. There may still be last minute changes as people's schedules change, but this should be very close.

Mac

Day 2 has begun. Those of you who are coming are probably here. I think it's time to unsticky this.

Any comments on the event should go in a new thread.

Mac

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2011, 08:34:10 AM »

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 24 queries.